White Sox sign Jimmy Rollins

Princess Dye

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MLB Network Harold Reynolds thinks the Rollins signing was solid for the Sox. He thinks Rollins can still play and thinks he will be the starting SS for the Sox come opening day. He brought up a good point about Rollins hitting 8th on a NL club. Hitting in front of the pitcher mean you get garbage to hit. Play in the AL with the DH and it will help him rebound from a lackluster NL year. I also believe that Rollings is there to mentor Tim Anderson and probably Saladino as well.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 09:10 PM)
MLB Network Harold Reynolds thinks the Rollins signing was solid for the Sox. He thinks Rollins can still play and thinks he will be the starting SS for the Sox come opening day. He brought up a good point about Rollins hitting 8th on a NL club. Hitting in front of the pitcher mean you get garbage to hit. Play in the AL with the DH and it will help him rebound from a lackluster NL year. I also believe that Rollings is there to mentor Tim Anderson and probably Saladino as well.

as i said yesterday, that signing shocked me, but i am not against it. i would rather have gotten an of'er.

but that aside, i like that if Rollins does really well in st and makes the team, this will force anderson on playing in the minors, no matter how great he does in st. i just had this idea of st and anderson hitting the crap of the ball and forcing the org hand to bring him up.

this is a solid move.

White Sox might have a bargain in Jimmy Rollins

James Fegan of The Catbird Seat blog weighed in:

And as with Mat Latos, Rollins shows that the White Sox are very interested in avoiding being stuck with black holes that are allowed to fester through mid-season and doom their playoff hopes, but doesn't represent the clear upgrade that shows the Sox are taking their push for the playoffs in 2016 with the necessary seriousness. It would be surprising if Rollins even dented the Sox win projections and thoroughly unsurprising if he's just 150 futile plate appearances, stalling Tim Anderson's rapid ascent. But he clearly suggests the Sox care about not wasting their chance to compete in 2016, so when will they finally move beyond suggestion and prove it?

I think that sums it up pretty well. After bringing in Todd Frazier and Brett Lawrie, the White Sox didn't make another major upgrade, in the outfield or DH/1B, and last year's league-worst offense may still have trouble scoring enough runs. Rollins is unlikely to be a key contributor; then again, he's only one season removed from a 4.0 WAR campaign via Baseball-Reference.com. That year, however, was boosted by his only above-average defensive metrics in the past four seasons. Rollins still has a little pop -- 13 home runs in 2015, 30 the past two seasons -- but his offensive numbers were dragged down by a .224 average.

Given his age (37), I wouldn't bet on a better season. In the past 25 years, only four 37-year-olds have even played 100 games at shortstop -- Omar Vizquel, Ozzie Smith, Derek Jeter and Mike Bordick. If Rollins becomes the fifth, the White Sox may have picked up a nice little bargain.

We all know how important April is for the White Sox, and, going all the way back to 2007, we've never been more than 1 game over .500 and more commonly are 2-5 games under after one bone-chilling month.

It clearly seems the White Sox are going to go with all veterans (with the possible exception of Avi) and push for that quick (or at least relatively quick) start that doesn't get them buried in the very beginning stretch of games.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 05:06 AM)
We all know how important April is for the White Sox, and, going all the way back to 2007, we've never been more than 1 game over .500 and more commonly are 2-5 games under after one bone-chilling month.

It clearly seems the White Sox are going to go with all veterans (with the possible exception of Avi) and push for that quick (or at least relatively quick) start that doesn't get them buried in the very beginning stretch of games.

if they, the sox wants to good start, they really better be getting their players a lot of batting and playing time this spring.

I hope Rollins makes the club in a utility role. I was initially meh on the signing but the more I thought about it the more I liked it.

I wonder how much the Sox had Tim Anderson in mind when they made this move. I think that it will do wonders for his development off the field and in the clubhouse to be surrounded by an African American player as distinguished as Rollins. Tim Anderson can go to Jimmy Rollins and instantly be able to relate with him and as a result when Rollins and Anderson are going over stuff (Assuming that Tim Anderson picks his brain) the impact will be that much more immediate.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 10:41 PM)
I've wanted Rollins since I saw what the SS market looked like. Now the only question is whether you let him win it in ST or find a way to have him wait in the wings if/until a youngster fails there.

It's easy. I say let them all play and may the best man win the job in ST. The best qualified should SS should be our opening day starter.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 12:51 AM)
if they, the sox wants to good start, they really better be getting their players a lot of batting and playing time this spring.

This is a good point. Was it was RH or RV that I saw on TV recently saying that the starting unit was going to get more playing time together? The last few weeks of ST they all need to be out there together, as opposed to last year when they weren't.

Edited by Saufley

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 06:28 AM)
I hope Rollins makes the club in a utility role. I was initially meh on the signing but the more I thought about it the more I liked it.

I wonder how much the Sox had Tim Anderson in mind when they made this move. I think that it will do wonders for his development off the field and in the clubhouse to be surrounded by an African American player as distinguished as Rollins. Tim Anderson can go to Jimmy Rollins and instantly be able to relate with him and as a result when Rollins and Anderson are going over stuff (Assuming that Tim Anderson picks his brain) the impact will be that much more immediate.

Great points and going by Anderson's recent comments, picking Rollins' brain is exactly what he will do. Saladino will likely be doing the same. I'm hoping Rollins has two shadows following him everywhere he goes throughout ST.

Anderson is a very bright kid and will benefit from spending time with Rollins this ST.

I think the Sox deserve some credit for signing Rollins. There's a bigger picture than just signing Rollins to compete for the SS position. The additions of Frazier, Rollins, Lawrie should liven up the club house quite a bit.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 08:20 AM)
Great points and going by Anderson's recent comments, picking Rollins' brain is exactly what he will do. Saladino will likely be doing the same. I'm hoping Rollins has two shadows following him everywhere he goes throughout ST.

Anderson is a very bright kid and will benefit from spending time with Rollins this ST.

I think the Sox deserve some credit for signing Rollins. There's a bigger picture than just signing Rollins to compete for the SS position. The additions of Frazier, Rollins, Lawrie should liven up the club house quite a bit.

If you take BP seriously, they tell you Tim Anderson is never going to be a major league SS. The people doing the White Sox position player write ups this year were a bit cranky. They loved the pitchers, except not so much for Rodon. They did call Quintana perhaps the greatest 6 year minor league free agent signing of all time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
If you take BP seriously, they tell you Tim Anderson is never going to be a major league SS. The people doing the White Sox position player write ups this year were a bit cranky. They loved the pitchers, except not so much for Rodon. They did call Quintana perhaps the greatest 6 year minor league free agent signing of all time.

BP has Anderson at #19 on their top prospect list, they're higher on him than anyone else.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
BP has Anderson at #19 on their top prospect list, they're higher on him than anyone else.

I know. It's very strange, but the write ups this year didn't match the PECOTAs. I get BP every year, and this year's White Sox section was about as weird as it gets. They spent a couple pages going over their efforts to replace Ray Durham. They even wrote one of the Sox biggest problems was sticking with their young players too long. Said Carlos Sanchez was not a good defensive 2B, but that he had a lot of speed, which he doesn't. Very amateurish.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
I know. It's very strange, but the write ups this year didn't match the PECOTAs. I get BP every year, and this year's White Sox section was about as weird as it gets. They spent a couple pages going over their efforts to replace Ray Durham. They even wrote one of the Sox biggest problems was sticking with their young players too long. Said Carlos Sanchez was not a good defensive 2B, but that he had a lot of speed, which he doesn't. Very amateurish.

Sounds like they were definitely talking about Micah.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
Sounds like they were definitely talking about Micah.

I thought the same thing and went to Micah's write up. Not too flattering, but they said he could be good once he made the inevitable move to the OF. They didn't think much of Trayce either, but thought Montas' floor was elite reliever as long as he was healthy. And that's where it was weird again. The write up said Montas had a good body. As I wrote earlier, I get it every year, and it is IMO worth the read and the $15 Amazon charges, but they have to take a close look at this year's staff. There are some who should have participated in their last Prospectus.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 08:20 AM)

As an African American myself, I always wonder about how hard a time black prospects have adjusting to a ML clubhouse when the number of black players is constantly diminishing. I know that whenever I am in a unfamiliar environment/situation I always feel more comfortable after seeing someone who looks like me.

I think this will do wonders for Tim Anderson's development.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 01:54 AM)
As an African American myself, I always wonder about how hard a time black prospects have adjusting to a ML clubhouse when the number of black players is constantly diminishing. I know that whenever I am in a unfamiliar environment/situation I always feel more comfortable after seeing someone who looks like me.

I wish there were a way to fix this.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 03:54 AM)

Definitely agree. Anderson will gain so much more from Rollins than just learning about SS position. Anderson is mature for his age and carries himself very well, much like Rollins so I think their personalities will mesh very well together. Rollins is literally the perfect mentor for Anderson and this move makes me wonder if the Sox expect to see Anderson sooner than we may think. I know the Sox signed Rollins to have more depth at SS but there seems to be an underlying theme behind the signing and that to me is Rollins mentoring Anderson and Saladino.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
I wish there were a way to fix this.

Same here. Two reasons for this that I can think of is 1) going by the African American friends I have and the folks I've worked with through the years, many African Americans are into basketball and football. Not trying to generalize, just based on my own experience is all. 2) we are seeing more Latinos coming from the Caribbean, Central and South America now more than ever.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 08:58 PM)
Definitely agree. Anderson will gain so much more from Rollins than just learning about SS position. Anderson is mature for his age and carries himself very well, much like Rollins so I think their personalities will mesh very well together. Rollins is literally the perfect mentor for Anderson and this move makes me wonder if the Sox expect to see Anderson sooner than we may think. I know the Sox signed Rollins to have more depth at SS but there seems to be an underlying theme behind the signing and that to me is Rollins mentoring Anderson and Saladino.

Same here. Two reasons for this that I can think of is 1) going by the African American friends I have and the folks I've worked with through the years, many African Americans are into basketball and football. Not trying to generalize, just based on my own experience is all. 2) we are seeing more Latinos coming from the Caribbean, Central and South America now more than ever.

i wonder, if Rollins does present himself in a very positive light, i see anderson comment of learning and wanting to learn from him, i wonder if he is a coach material for the sox??

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 03:54 AM)

One of the biggest things is that no one plays pick up game anymore.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
One of the biggest things is that no one plays pick up game anymore.

That's true. I grew up across the street from a long parkway. We "made" about 4 or 5 different fields, and every summer until HS would play from 9 AM until guys started getting yelled at to come in for dinner. Then we would go back out and play until it was too dark to see anything. My sister lives pretty close to there now, and says she hasn't seen anyone playing baseball on the parkway since I stopped playing.

Edited by Dick Allen