Hahn's Comments Monday 2/22...

Lip Man 1

I feel bad for Avi. He tries. He has sucked but many Sox players have sucked and haven't brought out the hate, even to the point of getting booed at Soxfest as much as he. I just think it's from the Little Miggy stuff, to the potential 30/30 stuff he just probably had no shot of living up to working against him.

Harold Minor was Baby Jordan. Did his home team fans hate him?

If he starts, there is going to be so much pressure on him. Even if somehow he hits, is he suddenly going to know how to track down a fly All? Is he suddenly going to remember the good things Vince Coleman told him about running the bases?

BTW, is Vince still with the White Sox?

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 01:28 AM)
I feel bad for Avi. He tries. He has sucked but many Sox players have sucked and haven't brought out the hate, even to the point of getting booed at Soxfest as much as he. I just think it's from the Little Miggy stuff, to the potential 30/30 stuff he just probably had no shot of living up to working against him.

Harold Minor was Baby Jordan. Did his home team fans hate him?

If he starts, there is going to be so much pressure on him. Even if somehow he hits, is he suddenly going to know how to track down a fly All? Is he suddenly going to remember the good things Vince Coleman told him about running the bases?

BTW, is Vince still with the White Sox?

I said it in another thread but Hahn did Avi no favors with his comments after the Frazier deal. Also I dislike LaRoche way more than Avi. Avi always hustles....LaRoche just sucked last year.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 06:39 PM)
I said it in another thread but Hahn did Avi no favors with his comments after the Frazier deal. Also I dislike LaRoche way more than Avi. Avi always hustles....LaRoche just sucked last year.

I remember the interview, but what specifically did Hahn say?

And it's entirely possible that Hahn wants to move on from Avi but KW wants to give him one last shot. Obviously there is no way of really knowing, but if you were at SoxFest I didn't get the vibe the organization was down on Avi. In fact, Hawk said Avi was the player he was most excited to see in 2016.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 05:54 PM)
when the team in on the bottom, and the only directions is up..... well obviously you are correct.

the owners are cheap, comment, yeah it is not original, but it still does not make it false.

and if you can't understand the sarcasm with out the green, then why even answer the post, if the owners do not want to spend the money and all they care about is money, sell the team, take and keep counting the money they will have made in the built in profit. b/c winning a WS is not their top priority. making an appearance of spending money on salary to deceive the fans is their main goal.

But it is false. Given what we know about spending relative to market size, attendance, and revenue the Sox spend pretty favorably compared to the majority of MLB teams.

Blaming it on 'the owners are cheap', and should sell the team, is just regurgitating a lazy argument to whine that the front office didn't do what you think it should have done.

QUOTE (shakes @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 01:32 AM)
But it is false. Given what we know about spending relative to market size, attendance, and revenue the Sox spend pretty favorably compared to the majority of MLB teams.

Blaming it on 'the owners are cheap', and should sell the team, is just regurgitating a lazy argument to whine that the front office didn't do what you think it should have done.

and you are regurgitating a tire company opinion, go and bother someone else ..... you really do not know what you are spewing.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 07:38 PM)
and you are regurgitating a tire company opinion, go and bother someone else ..... you really do not know what you are spewing.

It's bothersome to read the same thing, across multiple threads, that has been proven incorrect for years now, on this board. Please post some facts that the owners are cheap.... I'm talking real data, or come up with a better argument. There's plenty of real arguments against ownership, that's just not one.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 06:39 PM)

For sure. Hard to hate on a guy that hustles like Avi. Frustrated much of the time yes, but as a fan I appreciate Avi's effort.

QUOTE (shakes @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 07:32 PM)

You are quite literally wasting your time. What you say is true, but falling on deaf ears.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 08:03 PM)
Avi won me over as a fan with his effort to get back from the shoulder injury.

Just ignored his inability to make adjustments last season or take a correct angle on balls hit to the outfield then?

QUOTE (shakes @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 08:32 PM)

They ought to sell the team because they have been utter failures as owners, no matter how much they've spent. There's absolutely nothing lazy about looking at the record of achievement, or lack thereof, to guide one to that conclusion.

Hahn's comments pretty much confirm what was rumored early in the off season about the Sox having the same budget to work with as last year. This is why he publically said that he would have to get creative in order to bring in a FA. Not long after his creative comment, LaRoche was " on the market". This is why I really wasn't expecting a big FA signing. From my POV, the writing was on the wall all off season. I'm sure Hahn did his best to try and move salary to clear some space. It is what it is and complaining won't make any difference.

I still think Hahn did very well this off season and especially considering the payroll he had to work with. I'm just happy that Baseball is right around the corner and the team looks much better than last year, IMHO.

QUOTE (shakes @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 01:32 AM)

you sure sounds like SS2k5 .... i wonder who this is really???

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 02:36 AM)
Hahn's comments pretty much confirm what was rumored early in the off season about the Sox having the same budget to work with as last year. This is why he publically said that he would have to get creative in order to bring in a FA. Not long after his creative comment, LaRoche was " on the market". This is why I really wasn't expecting a big FA signing. From my POV, the writing was on the wall all off season. I'm sure Hahn did his best to try and move salary to clear some space. It is what it is and complaining won't make any difference.

I still think Hahn did very well this off season and especially considering the payroll he had to work with. I'm just happy that Baseball is right around the corner and the team looks much better than last year, IMHO.

this is a great post, pretty much sums it up for me as well.

i don't know why i am doing this, i guess i am i just can't help myself.

as it stands, as i said what last week maybe 2 weeks ago, i doubted that the sox will do anything else.

if they won't do anything until the salary comes off, esp laroche, then the fluff piece of him being hurt was that, BS.

with that, this part of finding the pieces is done. even a trade will not help, esp if big salary is not moving out.

28 million is coming off the freaking books in the offseason. for fvvck sake, this is all the owners doing with faith in someone to run this org. and if it is not his fault then it is the owners as KW have stated that he wanted to rebuild several yrs earlier.....

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 10:04 PM)
i don't know why i am doing this, i guess i am i just can't help myself.

as it stands, as i said what last week maybe 2 weeks ago, i doubted that the sox will do anything else.

if they won't do anything until the salary comes off, esp laroche, then the fluff piece of him being hurt was that, BS.

with that, this part of finding the pieces is done. even a trade will not help, esp if big salary is not moving out.

28 million is coming off the freaking books in the offseason. for fvvck sake, this is all the owners doing with faith in someone to run this org. and if it is not his fault then it is the owners as KW have stated that he wanted to rebuild several yrs earlier.....

Sox added Latos and Rollins within the last 2 weeks.

Still think they make a trade for an OFer.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 04:11 AM)
Sox added Latos and Rollins within the last 2 weeks.

Still think they make a trade for an OFer.

yeah i made my comment last week.

i still say the rollins signing was a surprise and very nice.

i don't know on anymore signing, i see a couple of lh hitters still on the market and 2 players i am interested in, Will Venable and Ryan Raburn are there as a last possible option, yeah i am dreaming.

hell even murph is still there. these guys may be 1 yr signings.

there are several intriguing players whose agent i hate are still available ..... i wonder.... ummm

but i still stand at what i said of the sox being finish, but i can always hope.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
The fact that they are still looking, while useful players are sitting out there tells me everything that I need to know. The most negative will take it as the teams management is either stupid or negligent. I think that is just silly.

The powers that be (billionaire investors accustomed to juicy dividend checks) opened the checkbook post 2005 and the FO couldn't make it happen… 3 Playoff appearances in 16 yrs… rather than "stupid or negligent". . how about just "ineffective" ?

QUOTE (shakes @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 05:47 PM)
If you want to argue they don't spend wisely or their model is antiquated I won't disagree. Although, I do think they are slowly headed in the right direction.

Before you know it, the window will close on the opportunity of having the two studs, Abreu and Sale, being able to at least sniff the playoffs…. So much of it is based upon whether or not the Sox have young position players who can make an impact…Based upon the track record over the last 16 yrs, do we have any real evidence of that?

QUOTE (captain54 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 11:50 AM)
Before you know it, the window will close on the opportunity of having the two studs, Abreu and Sale, being able to at least sniff the playoffs…. So much of it is based upon whether or not the Sox have young position players who can make an impact…Based upon the track record over the last 16 yrs, do we have any real evidence of that?

Our window of opportunity is not closing nearly as fast as you think it is. We have our core of Sale, Quintana, Rodon, Abreu and Eaton all locked up for the next four years (with Eaton, Quintana and Rodon locked up longer). We also have Anderson and Fulmer waiting in the wings who should make their presence know in 2017 or late 2016 along with other solid prospects such as Tyler Danish, Spencer Adams and Trey Michalczewski all just a couple years away. We also have two draft picks within the first 27 this year and three total in the first two rounds so our minors should be getting stockpiled pretty quickly. The organization as a whole is in a pretty good spot right now and are setting themselves up well to compete for the next half decade or so. The biggest thing the Sox going for them is that they have zero bad franchise crippling contracts on the books. Sure LaRoche, Danks and Cabrera are overpaid for what they are now but they are all short term contracts.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
Our window of opportunity is not closing nearly as fast as you think it is. We have our core of Sale, Quintana, Rodon, Abreu and Eaton all locked up for the next four years (with Eaton, Quintana and Rodon locked up longer). We also have Anderson and Fulmer waiting in the wings who should make their presence know in 2017 or late 2016 along with other solid prospects such as Tyler Danish, Spencer Adams and Trey Michalczewski all just a couple years away. We also have two draft picks within the first 27 this year and three total in the first two rounds so our minors should be getting stockpiled pretty quickly. The organization as a whole is in a pretty good spot right now and are setting themselves up well to compete for the next half decade or so. The biggest thing the Sox going for them is that they have zero bad franchise crippling contracts on the books. Sure LaRoche, Danks and Cabrera are overpaid for what they are now but they are all short term contracts.

You make a lot of great points. The only thing I'd say to you is that Chris Sale is probably not all that interested in the team being competitive towards the end of his current contract. He actually made the comment the other day that he has yet to play in a "meaningful game" in his entire career. That's a pretty strong statement to make, and is obviously indicative of where his mind is at in terms of the team competing sooner rather than later. He actually went on further to say that it's all about making the playoffs, with anything less unacceptable. So at this point, for guys like Sale and Abreu, they might not be too interested in looking at this as a long term project, waiting for the likes of the Adams, Danish' and Michalczewskis to come along before the team is competitive once again.