Alex Katz, Sox 27th round draft pick, does AMA on reddit

Buehrle>Wood

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/...ittyelgato12_i/

Hey man, any current White Sox players that have helped you out or given you advice?

[–]a_katz12 30 points 4 days ago

Ive learned a lot just playing beside my teammates this past summer. I speak to Don Cooper, the big league pitching coach at least once a week and he has taught me a ton of great stuff!

Talked about on the Score this morning. This gives the impression that Cooper is locked in with basically every pitcher in the organization, if he's willing to give time to a 27th rounder. I mean Katz is probably like 75th on the organizational depth chart. Pretty cool, and perhaps an insight to Coops power and insight here.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)

Talked about on the Score this morning. This gives the impression that Cooper is locked in with basically every pitcher in the organization, if he's willing to give time to a 27th rounder. I mean Katz is probably like 75th on the organizational depth chart. Pretty cool, and perhaps an insight to Coops power and insight here.

I read this the other day. I thought about messaging him for FutureSox, but I figured that he was saying everything in the AMA already.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 07:32 AM)

He's not quite as low on the chart as you're making him out to be, despite being a 27th rounder. But certainly he's not a top pitching prospect.

The pitching guidance in the system is impressive. The minor league PC's are really, really good. And their philosophy is very in line with Cooper's.

That all said, I've spoken with plenty of pitching prospects who said they have only spoken with Cooper on rare occasion. So I really don't think this is happening across the board. Just for context.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
Yeah Coop is great but he is not speaking to many of the low level guys like this. He likes the kid for whatever reason and probably because he is another New York guy.

It's also a matter of math. There are about a hundred pitching prospects in the system at any given point. He's not talking with a hundred of them every week, there's just no chance of that.

It could also be the case that this player has taken the initiative to seek out Cooper's advice. A lot of these guys, knowing Coop doesn't see them play all that much, may not see any reason to be calling the guy up all the time when they have instructors in person to talk to.