Fowler Signs with Cubs

Chisoxfn

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 12:54 AM)
You can feel however you want. You are being irrational though and people shouldn't take you seriously.

I do agree with him in that the organization needs to give hitters a reason to come here. Pitchers come here to work with Cooper, but hitters don't seem interested despite the Cell being a hitters park

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 04:38 PM)
That's nice. Like I said, I don't really give a crap what the reason is. If you want to look at every free agent outfielder individually you can come up with a fine excuse on why said player didn't sign with the Sox but when you miss out on every single one there's a problem somewhere with how you're operating.

Sure, we could have kidnapped him and forced him to play for the Sox, or drastically overpaid a player after which you would be angry at the production to cost ratio, or the Sox could have magically become the favorite to win the World Series thereby attracting more players. All are legit strategies.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 05:59 PM)
I do agree with him in that the organization needs to give hitters a reason to come here. Pitchers come here to work with Cooper, but hitters don't seem interested despite the Cell being a hitters park

Our lineup is quite a bit better offensively on paper than it was last year, but lets be honest, the Sox have been dogs*** for many years, its not an attractive place to play right now.

The Cubs signed 3 starter FA's for less than they were offered by other teams including Heyward. It matters if your team is a favorite.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
Our lineup is quite a bit better offensively on paper than it was last year, but lets be honest, the Sox have been dogs*** for many years, its not an attractive place to play right now.

Welcome back, old timer.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 07:03 PM)
Sure, we could have kidnapped him and forced him to play for the Sox, or drastically overpaid a player after which you would be angry at the production to cost ratio, or the Sox could have magically become the favorite to win the World Series thereby attracting more players. All are legit strategies.

If the White Sox were not willing to "drastically overpay players" to compete this year or next then they made a mistake by trading for several players, including one expensive top 10 in the league at that position player, who will be free agents in 2 years. They set themselves a 2 year deadline - after that the team gets significantly worse and it will cost a lot of talent in trades just to tread water.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 06:03 PM)

Ya, once again we can all make excuses why this team still hasn't signed an outfielder. Every outfielder ever just wanted to stay with their current team, Upton would have been an overpay but the fact remains that Avi is still a starting outfielder on this team. If they really wanted all of these guys they should have been able to land one of them and if they actually want Garcia as our starting rf then there's more wrong with this organization than I thought.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 06:04 PM)
The Cubs signed 3 starter FA's for less than they were offered by other teams including Heyward. It matters if your team is a favorite.

This is the first time I can remember that a team has been able to grab that many guys on discount whether they're the favorites or not. It's not just that they're the favorite, it has a lot to do with the culture that Maddon, Theo and Jed have created.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 06:30 PM)
How can you blame Sox management for being a lousy organization that nobody wants to play for? We all know its the fans' fault that nobody wants to play here.

Yeah nobody wants to play for the White Sox.

It may be the beginning of spring training, but the whining is in mid season form.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 06:04 PM)

If Heyward plays normally for 3 years, he will opt out and make more money than the two contracts he turned down. It's not as simple as the media keeps convincing everyone.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 06:41 PM)
you failed to see the point that it is all about the $$$

Of course it is about the money. Even Fowler signing with the Cubs isn't taking too much of a gamble. He is betting he can get at least 2/$20 million next offseason. That's not a real high risk bet.

The only caveat being if the money is similar then all bets are off, but the White Sox have signed guys for similar money others were offering.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 08:12 PM)
If you are trying to take an employee from a competitor you don't offer them the same salary they can get where they already are. :lol:

This is, unless they're complete unhappy where they are and might even be willing to take a salary cut to change their environment.

But yeah, coming off a productive season, the point still stands.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 06:22 PM)
Ya, once again we can all make excuses why this team still hasn't signed an outfielder. Every outfielder ever just wanted to stay with their current team, Upton would have been an overpay but the fact remains that Avi is still a starting outfielder on this team. If they really wanted all of these guys they should have been able to land one of them and if they actually want Garcia as our starting rf then there's more wrong with this organization than I thought.

This is the first time I can remember that a team has been able to grab that many guys on discount whether they're the favorites or not. It's not just that they're the favorite, it has a lot to do with the culture that Maddon, Theo and Jed have created.

Which makes Zobrist the one clear outlier/overpay.

Guess they thought it was worth it with his comfort level with Maddon and the trust to take care of him with playing time at this point in his career...veteran leadership/clubhouse presence...positional versatility, etc.

You'd have to think though, with Zobrist originally being from the area and the possibility of returning to the Royals not a realistic one (they prioritized Gordon), that the Cubs wouldn't have had to give him so much money.

Does anyone know the closest bid? It happened so quickly there wasn't much information out there on the process with him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 07:03 PM)

The issue I've had is that, other than Justin Upton, I haven't seen any evidence that the Sox would have had to "drastically overpay" for any of the myriad corner OF options that they failed to acquire. I'm not saying that many of them didn't give hometown discounts, but you could have increased the winning price by 25-35% and still ended up with a contract that everyone would think was fair; 50% an ended up with "Welp, that's about right for free agency these days." And I believe that money is the number one factor when there's a difference of that much.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)
Yeah nobody wants to play for the White Sox.

It may be the beginning of spring training, but the whining is in mid season form.

We're just used to being really bad. It's almost better than the delusion that this team is going to mean something.

If you want less whining, petition management to put a real product on the field.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 03:50 AM)
We're just used to being really bad. It's almost better than the delusion that this team is going to mean something.

If you want less whining, petition management to put a real product on the field.

everyone here should know my take on the owners and their miserly way... but but management did improve the product, so by default they did improve.

but the main point is they did not finish.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 25, 2016 -> 10:10 PM)
everyone here should know my take on the owners and their miserly way... but but management did improve the product, so by default they did improve.

but the main point is they did not finish.

It's frustrating how good this team is at drafting pitchers when they can't, for the life of them, draft a fielding talent.

Maybe Tim Anderson is the guy, but 10 years of futility in that department gets so old.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 12:48 AM)
Robertson, Melky, Rollins, and Latos are all recent examples of players taking less money to come here.

Cespedes, Gordon, Upton and Fowler are all recent examples of players who wouldn't come here for less money