Fowler Signs with Cubs

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 07:50 AM)

Fathom and I were pondering a few weeks ago on the idea that Fowler would weight his offers while giving the cubs a chance to set up a trade and give the Cubs a chance to make Fowler an offer. Looking at it from Fowler's standpoint, re-signing with his previous team that went to the NLCS and made moves to get better makes sense. Especially since, like DA pointed out, the opt-out gives Fowler a chance to bet on himself this year and become a free agent next winter in a much weaker crop of FA outfielders than we had seen this year. For Fowler, the whole thing makes absolute sense and the cubs get their " where you go, we go" guy back into a lineup that now has Heyward and Zobrist added to it.

Honestly, the Sox never had a chance.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 05:25 AM)
It's frustrating how good this team is at drafting pitchers when they can't, for the life of them, draft a fielding talent.

Maybe Tim Anderson is the guy, but 10 years of futility in that department gets so old.

and with me, mean spirited on the stupidity of the FO not to see this possibility of doing something special, all b/c of the profit margin.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 03:23 PM)
Only way a team was getting him is if they offered something like 3/45, in my opinion

even a 2/30 with an opt clause will work, granted it means sacrificing the comp pick.

is that comp pick that important over being in the running for a playoff berth .... in the playoff, this team has the horses in the pitching area to make it interesting.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 08:23 AM)
Only way a team was getting him is if they offered something like 3/45, in my opinion

To be honest, I'm not sure that would have been enough to lure Fowler away from a playoff contender and world series favorite. I definitely think, in Fowler's case, it's about more than just money. If I were in his shoes, I would have wanted to return to the cubs too.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)
To be honest, I'm not sure that would have been enough to lure Fowler away from a playoff conger and world series favorite. I definitely think, in Fowler's case, it's about more than just money. If I were in his shoes, I would have wanted to return to the cubs too.

If he loved the Cubs as much as he says he does, then he would have just accepted the QO.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)
To be honest, I'm not sure that would have been enough to lure Fowler away from a playoff contender and world series favorite. I definitely think, in Fowler's case, it's about more than just money. If I were in his shoes, I would have wanted to return to the cubs too.

you make an excellent point,

however whether it is 1 mil or 5 mil on the table, i think most players will go for the money.

now there are some who would rather go for the ability to go the playoff. but those players are long in the tooth and want one final go around with a team that will make the playoff.

but think about it, 1 million+ dollars ????

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:00 AM)
you make an excellent point,

however whether it is 1 mil or 5 mil on the table, i think most players will go for the money.

now there are some who would rather go for the ability to go the playoff. but those players are long in the tooth and want one final go around with a team that will make the playoff.

but think about it, 1 million+ dollars ????

If the Baltimore rumors are true, then this was never about money for Fowler. Baltimore's offer was supposedly for 3/33M and yet Fowler signed a 1/8M with an option for 1/9M + 5M buyout next year. Fowler took considerably less money to re-sign with the Cubs. He said " this is where my heart is" and considering he signed for less, in this case, it's true that it wasn't about the money.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
If the Baltimore rumors are true, then this was never about money for Fowler. Baltimore's offer was supposedly for 3/33M and yet Fowler signed a 1/8M with an option for 1/9M + 5M buyout next year. Fowler took considerably less money to re-sign with the Cubs. He said " this is where my heart is" and considering he signed for less, in this case, it's true that it wasn't about the money.

If Fowler has a good year, then opts out, he could blow that 3/33M deal out of the water next offseason. He's taking a chance on himself to make more money in the future. Just like Heyward.

Would he have signed the same deal with the Reds? No. But it's still about the money in the long run.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)

It's nonsense though. He'd rather play for the Cubs this season and become a free agent again, possibly landing a better 3-4 deal next offseason than taking the Orioles firm 3 year offer.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
If Fowler has a good year, then opts out, he could blow that 3/33M deal out of the water next offseason. He's taking a chance on himself to make more money in the future. Just like Heyward.

Would he have signed the same deal with the Reds? No. But it's still about the money in the long run.

I agree and pretty much said the same thing in a previous post. Fowler is betting on himself this year to lineup a payday next year all the while getting another chance at the post season. Imo, Fowler taking a mere 8M this year speaks volumes, he easily could have gotten much more elsewhere and yet he still chose the cubs.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)
I agree and pretty much said the same thing in a previous post. Fowler is betting on himself this year to lineup a payday next year all the while getting another chance at the post season. Imo, Fowler taking a mere 8M this year speaks volumes, he easily could have gotten much more elsewhere and yet he still chose the cubs.

It's not 8M though, it's 13M.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)

This directly conflicts with your previous statement that it was never about the money. What are you arguing?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
It's nonsense though. He'd rather play for the Cubs this season and become a free agent again, possibly landing a better 3-4 deal next offseason than taking the Orioles firm 3 year offer.

I agree and that's what Ive been saying. If the Baltimore rumors are true, Fowler took 3M less to play for the cubs.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
This directly conflicts with your previous statement that it was never about the money. What are you arguing?

i think i get it, no offense but i see that fowlers is going back esp with a team that can win, then next yr it will be about the money.