Possible MLB Expansion

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 11:03 AM)
i know this is pipe-dream, i am doing this for discussion only.

there are viable options available and i am saying that chi can support another team, esp in the western and sw suburbs.

the scrubs of the northside has been easily able to support their team. esp in the tickets sales to the tune of 2.8 mil per since the sox WS yr.

the sox, they could have done the same, if it wasn't for the mismanagement of the FO.

the main point is the fans of baseball in the western, sw burbs can do it. esp if that team gets smart business people to run the club, unlike the south side team.

now this season will tell the difference with their investment in the ball club.

now add a bastelball expansion to that ball club and it can be done.

It's not really feasible or logical to bring three baseball franchises into an already saturated market. There is no room for a third fandom. As it stands, you have 70% Cubs, 30% Sox. I really don't think that it would work out.

The Sox make a profit, even though our fans don't show up for games. They must be doing something right in the business department.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:33 PM)
It's not really feasible or logical to bring three baseball franchises into an already saturated market. There is no room for a third fandom. As it stands, you have 70% Cubs, 30% Sox. I really don't think that it would work out.

The Sox make a profit, even though our fans don't show up for games. They must be doing something right in the business department.

yeah, they made their profit and paid most of what is owed on a front end of their ownership, plus a great lease and i am sure a nice loan from the bank to cover everything else in the beginning.

either way, i was throwing out an idea for discussion.

btw, the markets saturation is mostly for the downtown area, but either way.

thanks.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 10:03 AM)
i know this is pipe-dream, i am doing this for discussion only.

there are viable options available and i am saying that chi can support another team, esp in the western and sw suburbs.

the scrubs of the northside has been easily able to support their team. esp in the tickets sales to the tune of 2.8 mil per since the sox WS yr.

the sox, they could have done the same, if it wasn't for the mismanagement of the FO.

the main point is the fans of baseball in the western, sw burbs can do it. esp if that team gets smart business people to run the club, unlike the south side team.

now this season will tell the difference with their investment in the ball club.

now add a bastelball expansion to that ball club and it can be done.

I don't know what you're thinking, but the SW suburbs are White Sox country. No way a third team is added. They wouldn't get support of either league's managers.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 09:55 PM)
I don't know what you're thinking, but the SW suburbs are White Sox country. No way a third team is added. They wouldn't get support of either league's managers.

you are right and there is another part of this that i wrote last nite. however i reread it this morning, i was all over the place so i deleted it, i screwed up big time.

but that is the point, the burbs can deal and put up good numbers, esp if the owners will not pony up to fix what is necessary. but again, this is all but a pipe-dream. it will never fly.

now lets look at the nhl,, for all of the negative on $$Bill, he was really smart, in the late 60's he made some kind of deal, under that table or not deal, (urban legend) of a no geographical competition deal. so when Lloyd Pettit the long time black hawks announcer brought the Mil Admirals, to turn them into the next NHL team, $$Bill killed that deal.

the point is, i think this idea can be done with both the mlb and nba idea. of course it will never happen.

just talking.

If the Sox and Cubs are in the same division and have to play 20 times a year I also might be done with baseball. The way they schedule now is bad enough. Sox vs. Minnesota 19 times? And Cleveland? So boring.

I see no point in a third Baseball team for the Chicagoland area. The Schaumburg Boomers drew 3,061 per game last year and the stadium holds 7,365. That's less than 50% draw. The Chicagoland Baseball fans are divided between two teams they are fiercly loyal to, so where are the fans for a third team going to come from? Sure, there are some casual Baseball fans around, but are there enough to support a third team? Nope.

Also, there's just no room in Schaumburg for another team unless they do away with the Boomers and build a park there. Problem is, is that park sits just south of Irving Park road which would have to be widened from Roselle Rd to the park because it's only two lanes through that stretch and by no means could handle the volume of West bound traffic coming from the east. Not to mention all the construction going on with the Elgin/O'Hare expressway in that area. f*** that, Schaumburg's traffic is bad enough as is.

Another thing to consider is who pays for the ballpark? Or should I ask, how much would the tax payers be on the hook for? Schaumburg isn't the cheapest place to live as is and adding another professional sports team will make that even worse.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 11:39 PM)
I see no point in a third Baseball team for the Chicagoland area. The Schaumburg Boomers drew 3,061 per game last year and the stadium holds 7,365. That's less than 50% draw. The Chicagoland Baseball fans are divided between two teams they are fiercly loyal to, so where are the fans for a third team going to come from? Sure, there are some casual Baseball fans around, but are there enough to support a third team? Nope.

Also, there's just no room in Schaumburg for another team unless they do away with the Boomers and build a park there. Problem is, is that park sits just south of Irving Park road which would have to be widened from Roselle Rd to the park because it's only two lanes through that stretch and by no means could handle the volume of West bound traffic coming from the east. Not to mention all the construction going on with the Elgin/O'Hare expressway in that area. f*** that, Schaumburg's traffic is bad enough as is.

Another thing to consider is who pays for the ballpark? Or should I ask, how much would the tax payers be on the hook for? Schaumburg isn't the cheapest place to live as is and adding another professional sports team will make that even worse.

all the points you brought up were the little things i didn't want to think about, the logistical side of any new locations and for my defense, b/c i never really thought it would fly.

that highway from the nw to the sw esp with 355 is prime expressway to make it happen though.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 07:58 AM)
Always a fun discussion. I think MLB can expand by two more, and I also agree that TB and OAK probably need to move. My list of cities in order of likely success with a team...

Charlotte (would need a fully new park, current one is boxed in)

San Antonio / McAllen (much better choice than Austin in my view, for this purpose)

Portland

Las Vegas

Albuquerque / Santa Fe

Nashville (same as Charlotte)

Salt Lake City

Montreal (I just don't know that they'd draw in the long run)

San Juan, PR

Vancouver (way too close to Seattle)

Just my .02. Looking at money in towns, scope of fan base, climate, demographics (specifically think getting to places with larger Hispanic populations would be a good idea).

Good insight linking McAllen (200 miles away), you also have to look at Laredo and all of northern Mexico. I'd like to know how many fans from Mexico San Diego pulls in. San Antonio does a terrific job supporting the Spurs (hard not to) and the other pro teams that are around. The Rangers are playing a couple games here in a few weeks. Obviously they would need a dome. San Antonio is the seventh largest city in the US.

I'd have season tickets from the start. Unfortunately it seems like it would be a NL franchise.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
Good insight linking McAllen (200 miles away), you also have to look at Laredo and all of northern Mexico. I'd like to know how many fans from Mexico San Diego pulls in. San Antonio does a terrific job supporting the Spurs (hard not to) and the other pro teams that are around. The Rangers are playing a couple games here in a few weeks. Obviously they would need a dome. San Antonio is the seventh largest city in the US.

I'd have season tickets from the start. Unfortunately it seems like it would be a NL franchise.

you make a very compelling argument on TX esp west Tx will need to be one place.

NM, i just don't know and the same goes for Nashville. Mont would be nice, but as some one else posted, can they be counted on, esp for the duration of drawing fans??

vegas, forget about that, another unknown area which i been experiencing is the St of LA. Baton Rouge would be ideal, the people here are fanatical on sports. on fri nite football, standing room and around the fences, same with baseball and college football and lsu baseball..... that is a site to see.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 08:32 PM)
all the points you brought up were the little things i didn't want to think about, the logistics of any new locations and for my defense, b/c i really thought it would fly.

that highway from the nw to the sw esp with 355 is prime expressway to make it happen though.

The problem with locating a new team in the SW suburbs (Naperville/Joliet) is 355. From about 3-7PM, that expressway turns into a parking lot for southbound traffic. Going north is fine but going south is a nightmare.

In the end it's all moot since there's really not enough Baseball fans to support a third team anyway. :)

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 06:05 AM)

South San Antonio makes no sense. Austin is 80 miles from San Antonio, so a team is better off building on the TX130 between Austin and San Antonio or I-35 between Austin and San Antonio.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
South San Antonio makes no sense. Austin is 80 miles from San Antonio, so a team is better off building on the TX130 between Austin and San Antonio or I-35 between Austin and San Antonio.

San Antonio at least has supported a professional franchise.

The Rio Grande Valley and Mexico tourists make San Antonio attractive. TX130 makes sense but is away from everything. I-35 is crazy with traffic, but probably a better bet. I think I-35 between the two but closer to SA makes more sense.

Every few years the Cowboys threaten to relocate their training camp. Perhaps the stadium could serve double or triple duty.

To clarify, when I said "San Antonio / McAllen", I certainly meant the team would be in the former, not the latter. Just citing an influence area for illustration. Just like Albuquerque clearly is where a team would be, not Santa Fe.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
To clarify, when I said "San Antonio / McAllen", I certainly meant the team would be in the former, not the latter. Just citing an influence area for illustration. Just like Albuquerque clearly is where a team would be, not Santa Fe.

I thought he meant locating the stadium somewhere on the southside, perhaps even down 37 towards Corpus or 35 towards Laredo.

• 2 weeks later...