Steverson on Avi

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
He can hit.

Just not well enough to overcome his defense, poor base running and lack of baseball IQ.

Actually, last year he didn't hit. If he hits, he's a 1 WAR player. If he doesn't, he's replacement level or worse. He needs to hit. I haven't given up on a 280/330/450 season from him in '16.

Avi's D is his D; but it wouldn't surprise me if he hits pretty well.

The list of players who have finally developed at 26-28 is pretty stout (donaldson, e.g.).

Avi takes walks and hits the other way; if you can do those things, which are hard, you should be able to do other things that would help and are actually easier for most players.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 05:23 PM)

The list of players who have finally developed at 26-28 is pretty stout (donaldson, e.g.).

Avi takes walks and hits the other way; if you can do those things, which are hard, you should be able to do other things that would help and are actually easier for most players.

Avi Garcia has a completely different hitting profile than Josh Donaldson and he's unlikely to take another big step forward unless he finally learns some plate discipline (which is unlikely IMO).

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 05:36 PM)
Avi Garcia has a completely different hitting profile than Josh Donaldson and he's unlikely to take another big step forward unless he finally learns some plate discipline (which is unlikely IMO).

You may be right, but I hear that about every young player the Sox have when they don't produce big as rookies (and sometimes even when they do - Trayce "fourth outfielder" Thompson, e.g.).

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 07:05 PM)
You may be right, but I hear that about every young player the Sox have when they don't produce big as rookies (and sometimes even when they do - Trayce "fourth outfielder" Thompson, e.g.).

That's because when the Sox do give a guy a rare chance, they bet the entire season on him becoming an all star right away. When that doesn't happen he takes a large share of the blame for failing - because we don't blame the people who made the bad bet on him being ready.

All this Avi hype reminds me of the spin they tried to put on Gordon Beckham year after year.

My real concern is that Eaton still can't play centre field and is hitting DH, we have little options in Centre Field if he is not good to go out there on Opening Day.

For now, my main concern is if the Sox feel that Fields could be a quality backup to CF and end up not bringing in another OF bat. Fields defense as a backup to CF is a good thing but it's his bat that makes me wonder. If Fields could hit just a little he could serve as a nice place holder to CF backup until May, hopefully, shows he's ready to take that spot.

Still yet, I cling to hope that Hahn is able to bring in another bat for CF.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 07:32 AM)
For now, my main concern is if the Sox feel that Fields could be a quality backup to CF and end up not bringing in another OF bat. Fields defense as a backup to CF is a good thing but it's his bat that makes me wonder. If Fields could hit just a little he could serve as a nice place holder to CF backup until May, hopefully, shows he's ready to take that spot.

Still yet, I cling to hope that Hahn is able to bring in another bat for CF.

I don't know if he'll make it. The 25th spot will likely go to a platoon guy with LaRoche assuming there are no major additions.

I'll never understand people who say Adam Eaton can't play defense. In 2014 he was worth 12 DRS, which, per Fangraphs is right in between "great" and "gold glover". He has a brutal April defensively in 2015, so bad that it skewed his stats for the rest of the year. He is more than adequate defensively. I'd even say he's pretty damn good defensively for the most part.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 07:37 AM)
I don't know if he'll make it. The 25th spot will likely go to a platoon guy with LaRoche assuming there are no major additions.

I take it you're thinking Sands then? Definitely possible at this point.

I'm thinking Fields is possible if he can somehow hit as well or better than Shuck in ST. Fields is a much better option, defensively speaking, as a backup to CF. Shuck wasn't very good in CF last year and is much better at the corners. I'm on the fence really, Shuck has a better bat and plate discipline than Fields but Fields has the better defense.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 07:46 AM)
I take it you're thinking Sands then? Definitely possible at this point.

I'm thinking Fields is possible if he can somehow hit as well or better than Shuck in ST. Fields is a much better option, defensively speaking, as a backup to CF. Shuck wasn't very good in CF last year and is much better at the corners. I'm on the fence really, Shuck has a better bat and plate discipline than Fields but Fields has the better defense.

Yeah probably Sands assuming they don't bring in a bench bat somehow I guess. I still think Raburn would be perfect to split time with LaRoche. Mashes lefties and we wouldn't have to face him.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 07:49 AM)
Yeah probably Sands assuming they don't bring in a bench bat somehow I guess. I still think Raburn would be perfect to split time with LaRoche. Mashes lefties and we wouldn't have to face him.

I'm not against the Raburn idea but given his age and that the Sox already have Sands I'm guessing the Sox would roll with Sands instead of signing Raburn. Raburn would make a great platoon partner for LaRoche though. I like that Raburn can draw some walks too. VS. LHP Raburn could play RF with Avi at DH and VS. RHP LaRoche DH's with Avi (gulp) in RF. Screw it, sign Raburn and drop Olt! :D

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 08:21 AM)
I'm not against the Raburn idea but given his age and that the Sox already have Sands I'm guessing the Sox would roll with Sands instead of signing Raburn. Raburn would make a great platoon partner for LaRoche though. I like that Raburn can draw some walks too. VS. LHP Raburn could play RF with Avi at DH and VS. RHP LaRoche DH's with Avi (gulp) in RF. Screw it, sign Raburn and drop Olt! :D

Sands has a lifetime .846 OPS vs. LHP. Not a bad guy to give LaRoche a break. I'm with you, he basically is Raburn.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
Sands has a lifetime .846 OPS vs. LHP. Not a bad guy to give LaRoche a break. I'm with you, he basically is Raburn.

Yeah, I feel ok with him as LaRoche's platoon partner. The problem is LaRoche himself is a question mark and Sands really isn't an everyday option if Adam struggles again. It's the reason why we're much better off with Avi starting the season in that backup/platoon role and serving as LaRoche's insurance policy. If we're forced to make Schuck a starter at any point this season, then we're in a lot of trouble.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 05:23 PM)

Where is this coming from??? Everybody, PLEASE STOP SAYING THIS.

6.0% walk rate last year. Sox as a team, 6.7%. MLB position players, 7.8%. 101st out of 141 qualified hitters in walk rate.

By what standard are we honestly assessing that "Avi take walks?"

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)

6.0% walk rate last year. Sox as a team, 6.7%. MLB position players, 7.8%. 101st out of 141 qualified hitters in walk rate.

By the Dayan Viciedo standard of course......

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)

By the standard that he had a higher walk rate than every starter except for Laroche and Eaton.

It was the bench that pulled up the team walk rate.

But indeed, when his rate is one of the starters' highest, that explains a lot.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)
By the standard that he had a higher walk rate than every starter except for Laroche and Eaton.

It was the bench that pulled up the team walk rate.

But indeed, when his rate is one of the starter's highest, that explains a lot.

That's a poor standard. I would not say he takes walks, nor would I say anybody who walked at a lower rate than him last year took walks, but whatever.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 05:55 PM)
That's a poor standard. I would not say he takes walks, nor would I say anybody who walked at a lower rate than him last year took walks, but whatever.

Also worth noting that Avi was 119th out of 141 qualified hitters in terms of "fraction of pitches thrown to him in the strike zone". He's down there with legit sluggers who the pitchers are scared of, and in fact saw even fewer strikes than Abreu - in other words, pitchers were also not throwing him strikes. He should have walked a lot when he's getting very few strikes, but he also had the highest %age of swings and misses per total pitches thrown in baseball among qualified hitters.