White Sox Sign Austin Jackson

DirtySox

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
He's a late inning OF replacement for either Melky or Avi. He might get some platoon starts against some tough right handed pitchers if there's any concern over Jackson's splits. But there's no way he'd get more PAs than Jackson this year.

It will be a lot better to be able to run Eaton, Shuck and Jackson as the OF in close and late situations.

First time poster. 40 year Sox fan.

I like the way Hahn slow played the market. I believe that Jackson was his target all off season due to his lack of draft pick attachment. The whole idea then was to get him at the cost that the Sox were comfortable with. Hahn presented Boras and Jackson with a plan that would allow for Jackson to resurrect his career and go into the next offseason with a chance to get the big money and years. They gave Hahn a number that he was comfortable spending.

This signing gets me excited. I believe they have a chance to compete very well in a very tight division. So much so that I will be picking up a 14 game plan for this year. I was just as excited last year though and signed up for a 7 game plan. They lost each game. My wife was upset that we spent that money on that team and refused to let me get another plan for this year unless they got a 3rd baseman and another outfielder. Done and done I told her last night! See ya all at the ball park!

QUOTE (Cessna98 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)

I like the way Hahn slow played the market. I believe that Jackson was his target all off season due to his lack of draft pick attachment. The whole idea then was to get him at the cost that the Sox were comfortable with. Hahn presented Boras and Jackson with a plan that would allow for Jackson to resurrect his career and go into the next offseason with a chance to get the big money and years. They gave Hahn a number that he was comfortable spending.

This signing gets me excited. I believe they have a chance to compete very well in a very tight division. So much so that I will be picking up a 14 game plan for this year. I was just as excited last year though and signed up for a 7 game plan. They lost each game. My wife was upset that we spent that money on that team and refused to let me get another plan for this year unless they got a 3rd baseman and another outfielder. Done and done I told her last night! See ya all at the ball park!

Your wife is awesome.

"I'm upset you spent money on baseball. Now don't do it again unless ( insert logical condition here. )"

Wow.

That'd be like me telling my girl, "I'm upset you spent money on another set of shoes. Don't do it again unless your feet grow."

Ok, maybe that's a stretch but you get my drift.

Fly on brother Cessna - fly on.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 06:46 AM)
He had 2 good months last year. Avi was awesome in April/May last year, you need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture though. Bradley Jr. has been absolutely awful since he was brought up.

A good 2 months when you only get 221 AB and 10 HR's gives you an .832 OPS, He does that for a full season and we're looking at perhaps a 6 WAR guy.

QUOTE (Cessna98 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)

I love this post.

QUOTE (Cessna98 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)

Love this post, had a 20+ game plan split with brothers last year. Took my wife to the first 6 games and we lost every one except one, the rainout game against the royals where they actually won on Sunday, two days later when we weren't there.

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 52m52 minutes ago

For now, Austin Jackson is wearing No. 10. #WhiteSox

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 52m52 minutes ago

Austin Jackson, given locker in next to his former Tigers teammate Alex Avila, on the field now with White Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 09:30 AM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 52m52 minutes ago

For now, Austin Jackson is wearing No. 10. #WhiteSox

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 52m52 minutes ago

Austin Jackson, given locker in next to his former Tigers teammate Alex Avila, on the field now with White Sox.

You know hommie was just sitting around in AZ waiting for Boras to call him up. I envy. :P

Great signing. No multi year commitment and only 5 million is perfect for Jackson. Was worried about doing something like 2 years 15 million but obviously that didn't come to pass. Interesting the Sox apparently weren't the highest bidder but won out on other factors.

Hahn did work this offseason. I really don't think any move he made has much downside and the club is now ready to really move into that middle tier where if a few things break right you could see 88 wins.

They should really just cut LaRoche but I guess they are hoping for a dead cat bounce and maybe they can unload him on some sucker at the deadline.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
Great signing. No multi year commitment and only 5 million is perfect for Jackson. Was worried about doing something like 2 years 15 million but obviously that didn't come to pass. Interesting the Sox apparently weren't the highest bidder but won out on other factors.

Hahn did work this offseason. I really don't think any move he made has much downside and the club is now ready to really move into that middle tier where if a few things break right you could see 88 wins.

They should really just cut LaRoche but I guess they are hoping for a dead cat bounce and maybe they can unload him on some sucker at the deadline.

I really don't see the point in cutting LaRoche. It's not like the guy hasn't produced in years, hell his numbers were looking fine almost two and a half months into the season last year (batting line of .246/.362/.422 on June 10th). It's not like the alternatives are looking a lot better right now, give him 6 weeks against RHP to see if he has a bounceback in him. I'm more confident in him at DH against RHP than I would be with Avi there full-time.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
I really don't see the point in cutting LaRoche. It's not like the guy hasn't produced in years, hell his numbers were looking fine almost two and a half months into the season last year (batting line of .246/.362/.422 on June 10th). It's not like the alternatives are looking a lot better right now, give him 6 weeks against RHP to see if he has a bounceback in him. I'm more confident in him at DH against RHP than I would be with Avi there full-time.

This. I really think that the hamate injury effected LaRoche quite a bit. If he can come back and be close to what he was in 2014, and I think he can, the middle of our lineup is incredibly dangerous.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 6, 2016 -> 08:31 PM)
That's why I said "a guy like him". I've wanted him or Brock Holt for 2 years. He really hasn't established himself yet offensively but the signs are there that he's getting better. I wanted him when he was really sucking offensively. You can't really say he's better offensively than all our guys because he has never had a full season's worth of AB's yet . Maybe you're thinking of Mookie Betts ?

Look at what he's done his whole career in the minors and what he put up in Boston last year. Bottom line, the Sox aren't getting him. And I don't know where Holt would play. Yes, his versatility is nice but I don't see the Sox getting him to take away at bats from Frazier, Lawrie, Melky, etc.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 08:52 PM)

Should LaRoche EVER bat against a lefty again? Will fans turn on Robin if LaRoche faces lefties?

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
AJax's career long high BABIP is interesting. Implies that, despite offensive faults, he uses his speed to his advantage and 'makes his own luck'

That and he's got a line drive percentage around 25% the last 4 years. And very few infield fly balls.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 03:31 PM)
AJax's career long high BABIP is interesting. Implies that, despite offensive faults, he uses his speed to his advantage and 'makes his own luck'

Part of that is he manages a high line-drive rate (~24% for his career) and a low FB%, which certainly helps, but even so his BABIP on all three batted ball types runs well above the league-average.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
Jordan Bastian ‏@MLBastian 5s6 seconds ago

Indians offered similar salary range as WSox for Jackson, but he preferred Chicago. CLE would've needed to go much higher to convince him.

Hey, playing for the Cubs did some good for us. :D I like Eaton doing whatever it takes to win too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
It is almost surreal how great of an off season that Hahn had when you consider how little money he had to run with, and protecting the picks that he had. Yes some will bemoan the lack of the big named player, but realistically, even if Hahn's off season turns out to be a disaster, none of the players brought in will have any long term damage to the franchise. If Cespedes regressed, that could have single handedly forced the White Sox into a full rebuild, just by sheer contract size alone.

I agree with this. If you went in with the budget the Sox have spent, it's hard to imagine anything better than what's turned out. Everything else people have clamored for would have cost more, perhaps a lot more.

Current lineups I have are:

vs RHP

Eaton LF/RF (depends on what they decide to do with him position wise)

Cabrera RF/LF

Abreu 1B

Frazier 3B

LaRoche DH

Lawrie 2B

Avila mostly C

Jackson CF

Rollins/Saladino (whoever wins) SS

vs LHP

Eaton LF/RF

Cabrera DH/RF/LF (maybe Rollins even if he has a strong spring)

Abreu 1B

Frazier 3B

Lawrie 2B

Navarro C

Garcia RF/LF/DH

Jackson CF

Rollins/Saladino SS

If they decide to go with Sands to let Avi work on his new stance/mechanics in the minors, that's perfectly fine with me too.

Edited by soxfan2014