Spring Training Cuts thread

Dunt

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
Might just be they know Beck has no shot of being in the major league rotation, and it's time for him to get stretched out for AAA starting.

Right now Beck is behind

Sale

Quintana

Rodon

Danks

Latos

Turner

Johnson

Maybe Scott Carroll?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
Right now Beck is behind

Sale

Quintana

Rodon

Danks

Latos

Turner

Johnson

Maybe Scott Carroll?

The thing with Turner and Johnson though is that we've seen their lowest lows in pro ball already, whereas Beck still hasnt wildly slipped. You could see him leapfrogging those two even by midyear this year and being someone they actually want to keep caring about.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
The thing with Turner and Johnson though is that we've seen their lowest lows in pro ball already, whereas Beck still hasnt wildly slipped. You could see him leapfrogging those two even by midyear this year and being someone they actually want to keep caring about.

Beck also hasn't give us any highs either, which is why Johnson and Turner are ahead of him.

QUOTE (daggins @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
Given Beck's injury he is definitely behind all those guys.

This is key. Beck is not capable, probably, of a full season of starting pitching in 2016 anyway. That would be triple the innings he pitched last year. He needs special handling this year. He may see the majors, but he's not a valid starting rotation option right now. Maybe later - maybe.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)
I'm surprised they just released Olt like that. I was assuming that he'd be in AAA for depth purposes.

It doesn't say much for your station in baseball when a team thinks Matt Davidson is more worth keeping than you are.

The Olt release wasn't a surprise, for me anyway. I'd rather have guys like Davidson and Delmonico get time at 3B. And at 1B he'd have to compete with Ishikawa and Hayes. I just don't think he made sense to keep.

Also keep in mind, he may have asked for release so he could seek opportunities with a team that didn't have Frazier, Lawrie, Saladino and those other guys to compete with.

BlsY5XUCEAA81KO.jpg

Homer Simpson: Good practice, kids. Now it's time for the easiest part of any coach's job. The cuts. Although I wasn't able to cut everyone I wanted to, I have cut a lot of you. Wendell is cut. Rudy is cut. Janey, you're gone. Steven, I like your hustle

[steven smiles]

Homer Simpson: . That's why it was so hard to cut you

[steven's smile drops]

Homer Simpson: . Congratulations, the rest of you made the team!

[random sighs of relief]

Homer Simpson: Except you, you and you.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
Zach Phillips outrighted, and he elected free agency.

43 in camp.

This move gives the White Sox 37 on the 40 man roster. One of those spots will be Rollins so they really have 2 spots available. I would expect someone added prior to opening day.

Bernie Pleskoff ‏@BerniePleskoff Mar 19

Watch for #WhiteSox moves. They have only 37 men on their 40-man roster. Room for changes.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 20, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
This move gives the White Sox 37 on the 40 man roster. One of those spots will be Rollins so they really have 2 spots available. I would expect someone added prior to opening day.

Bernie Pleskoff ‏@BerniePleskoff Mar 19

Watch for #WhiteSox moves. They have only 37 men on their 40-man roster. Room for changes.

I said it before, but the White Sox are perfectly set up to make a deal involving at least one of their relievers going outbound, and bringing in another bat. Maybe it is a good hitter with a bigger contract (Either? Bruce?) or maybe it is a roster spot crunch from another team (teams like Houston, LAD, and Tampa seem to be possibilities) but it makes so much sense.