Spring Training Cuts thread

Dunt

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
I said it before, but the White Sox are perfectly set up to make a deal involving at least one of their relievers going outbound, and bringing in another bat. Maybe it is a good hitter with a bigger contract (Either? Bruce?) or maybe it is a roster spot crunch from another team (teams like Houston, LAD, and Tampa seem to be possibilities) but it makes so much sense.

Carlos Sanchez may be expendable as well.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might as well start calling it 38 since Rollins will be added. I think it's more a matter of circumstance than a sign a move is about to happen. If they make a trade, it's more likely at least one or two guys on the 40-man will go too.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 20, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)
Might as well start calling it 38 since Rollins will be added. I think it's more a matter of circumstance than a sign a move is about to happen. If they make a trade, it's more likely at least one or two guys on the 40-man will go too.

Yeah, they have the two spots open in reality, plus they could easily free up another spot or two with strategic cuts.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 20, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
Sands and Shuck probably won't both be on the roster so that opens a spot too.

I think Shuck is on the roster for sure right now. The team sees to like what he brings to the show. Maybe he is a little less needed with Jackson being able to play CF, but they still seem to see a fit for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2016 -> 03:50 PM)
I think Shuck is on the roster for sure right now. The team sees to like what he brings to the show. Maybe he is a little less needed with Jackson being able to play CF, but they still seem to see a fit for him.

I don't really understand why though. He's bad in CF and doesn't hit RHP.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
erik johnson on a winning team should not be a starter. First guy up from AAA is kind of the ideal slot for him.

I don't think that's the case. I think he's either a major league starter, like a 4th starter kind of guy, or he's not MLB material at all. EJ comes in 2 versions - the one that was in his good delivery and relaxed, and the tensed-up version that is all over the place. There is no in-between. And the difference is entirely mental, IMO.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
Johnson won't be in the Sox organization much longer, in my opinion.

He might be a good candidate for that. But I have serious doubts about his ability to get out of his own way, no matter the org. He's just wound very tight.

Johnson was giving answers like a robot at Soxfest. All about his routine, etc. It was like someone programmed him. That's all fine and dandy when things are going your way, but IMO he has to have some sort of flexibility. Unless your are elite, the tide changes fairly often. And he is not elite. It seems with him, if plan A isn't working, he's screwed. There is no plan B or C or D.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 09:39 AM)
Zack Phillips got a major league deal with Baltimore.

MLB Trade Rumors ‏@mlbtraderumors 46m46 minutes ago

New Orioles addition Zach Phillips receives a $510K Major League deal. Details on the signing: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/03/orio...hris-jones.html

It was interesting, he was added to the 40-man prior to the Rule V back in December because he was high risk to be claimed. Then Sox brought him to camp and DFA'd him. He pitched in 5 games, and did get hit a bit.

This makes me a little nervous around LH relievers. I don't trust Jennings, and there is very little depth that can remotely be relied upon.

It was interesting, he was added to the 40-man prior to the Rule V back in December because he was high risk to be claimed. Then Sox brought him to camp and DFA'd him. He pitched in 5 games, and did get hit a bit.

This makes me a little nervous around LH relievers. I don't trust Jennings, and there is very little depth that can remotely be relied upon.

If he just got added to the 40 in December, then he had the full compliment of options remaining. They must have really, really not liked him to DFA him before even using up one of his option years.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 09:59 AM)
If he just got added to the 40 in December, then he had the full compliment of options remaining. They must have really, really not liked him to DFA him before even using up one of his option years.

Actually I don't believe he had options left. He was a minor league free agent signing prior to that. So he had no options, and had to pass through waivers to clear for DFA.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
Actually I don't believe he had options left. He was a minor league free agent signing prior to that. So he had no options, and had to pass through waivers to clear for DFA.

He was out of options. They tried to sneak him and Brantly off the 40 man and into minor league camp. Both guys were claimed. Daniel Fields was sent to minor league camp too. He must have cleared waivers because he was in the same boat. The same thing will happen with Jacob Turner. He will probably get through to Charlotte with a $1.5 million price tag though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
He was out of options. They tried to sneak him and Brantly off the 40 man and into minor league camp. Both guys were claimed. Daniel Fields was sent to minor league camp too. He must have cleared waivers because he was in the same boat. The same thing will happen with Jacob Turner. He will probably get through to Charlotte with a $1.5 million price tag though.

It would have been interesting to see if LaRoche had happened first, if any of those moves would have changed with the extra 40 man spot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
It would have been interesting to see if LaRoche had happened first, if any of those moves would have changed with the extra 40 man spot.

Actually, I was wrong. Phillips wasn't claimed. He turned down the minor league assignment.