Spring Training Cuts thread

Dunt

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 01:12 PM)
But he's confident right now DA!

That's true. Sending him down may make him roll up in the fetal position and suck again.

To his credit, he apparently has changed some things and has looked good. Whether that is for real or another spring training mirage, we can find out with him in AAA. It's better for him anyway, except for the paycheck.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
So the Sox should just ignore the 1141 plate appearances Davidson has made in AAA the past 2 years where he barely hit .200 and struck out more often than Adam Dunn, and base a roster spot on the 44 plate appearances he made this spring in games that don't count.

No one really can be serious, right?

Send him to Charlotte. If he's worth a roster spot, he will show he's worth a roster spot.

Couldn't agree more, I can't believe so many are putting so much stock in 50 PA in Spring Training, it shouldn't change your opinion much.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 12:10 PM)
So the Sox should just ignore the 1141 plate appearances Davidson has made in AAA the past 2 years where he barely hit .200 and struck out more often than Adam Dunn, and base a roster spot on the 44 plate appearances he made this spring in games that don't count.

Send him to Charlotte. If he's worth a roster spot, he will show he's worth a roster spot.

Thank you, I'm literally shocked by the amount of support he's getting around here. And top of everything, he just takes away at-bats from a guy who has already shown he can hit LHP at the major league level in Avi. Davidson needs to start the season in AAA playing everyday so we can see if his spring performance is sustainable (at least the K rate) or if this is simply a mirage driven by a SSS in the desert.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 07:18 PM)
That's true. Sending him down may make him roll up in the fetal position and suck again.

To his credit, he apparently has changed some things and has looked good. Whether that is for real or another spring training mirage, we can find out with him in AAA. It's better for him anyway, except for the paycheck.

and since he is showing soo much confidence, let him continue on building on that confidence and since if it is real or not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
FutureSox.com ‏@FutureSox 10m10 minutes ago

Two names still in camp that are just as interesting as who was cut: Jacob May and Phillippe Aumont.

We all know there is about a zero percent chance May makes the team. That is why I was wondering if there really is anything to when they actually cut someone not on one of these $100k detention bonus things. Aumont I would think is a longshot but perhaps in line if someone has to be DL'd or they take 13 pitchers.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
and since he is showing soo much confidence, let him continue on building on that confidence and since if it is real or not.

If he can't f***ing handle a demotion how in the hell is he going to handle hitting 180/220/350 in May and playing 1-2 times a week? The whole "oh you can't crush his confidence again" is a red herring. If he's that weak mentally he's not cut out for the Show, one way or the other.

he should continue to work on his swing in AAA. He needs to prove something in real games not just against spring training guys that don't care if some failed prospect hits a HR off them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
FutureSox.com ‏@FutureSox 10m10 minutes ago

Two names still in camp that are just as interesting as who was cut: Jacob May and Phillippe Aumont.

They'd be crazy to start the season with May on the 25 man roster. He's another guy who needs to play everyday in AAA to see what you have. While I remain skeptical he's an everyday player at the major league level, we're going to need at least one OF in the near future (when/if Jackson departs) and he's probably next in line for an opportunity. Let's hope he's closer to the player he was last year prior to the concussion than he was after.

Also, is this the deepest the Sox have been on the position player front in years? Just off the top of my head we'll have May, Anderson, Sanchez, Davidson, & Coats waiting in the wings in AAA. Those guys can basically fill a hole anywhere in the lineup but catcher. That's a pretty exciting chance of pace compared to how things have been in recent years.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
They'd be crazy to start the season with May on the 25 man roster. He's another guy who needs to play everyday in AAA to see what you have. While I remain skeptical he's an everyday player at the major league level, we're going to need at least one OF in the near future (when/if Jackson departs) and he's probably next in line for an opportunity. Let's hope he's closer to the player he was last year prior to the concussion than he was after.

Also, is this the deepest the Sox have been on the position player front in years? Just off the top of my head we'll have May, Anderson, Sanchez, Davidson, & Coats waiting in the wings in AAA. Those guys can basically fill a hole anywhere in the lineup but catcher. That's a pretty exciting chance of pace compared to how things have been in recent years.

Yes, the fact that there is no Nieto, Garcia or even Sanchez on this roster is very encouraging. Those guys are good depth options but they are not in any way shape or form guys a team with playoff aspirations should have on their roster. Sanchez maybe if they didn't have Lawrie would be an acceptable starter at 2B, but for now he's not versatile enough to keep as the utility guy.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
If he can't f***ing handle a demotion how in the hell is he going to handle hitting 180/220/350 in May and playing 1-2 times a week? The whole "oh you can't crush his confidence again" is a red herring. If he's that weak mentally he's not cut out for the Show, one way or the other.

he should continue to work on his swing in AAA. He needs to prove something in real games not just against spring training guys that don't care if some failed prospect hits a HR off them.

That's what worries me and why I was bringing it up. Personally with a DH spot open I would've brought him up and let him DH but I forgot about Avi and he'll get first crack.

The way I look at it, although Carlos might not agree with me, I'd rather be him playing every day in AAA than be the reserve role like Saladino.

I like Sanchez more than Tyler. I actually see more future value in him than Lawrie at 2b too. However, at this point I'd rather see him and Davidson down in AAA.

I'm not sold on Davidson. Let him show a half season or more at AAA of doing this. He is so fragile. I feel like he could hit .350 in AAA, get a call-up and then start 0-8 and be in a mental pickle and do horrible again.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rollins or Saladino both struggle or get injured and have Sanchez as your SS for a stretch some time this year.

Sox made the right cuts, but several of the guys who are starting have hit very poorly so far -- Eaton, Jackson, Cabrera have all been bad, and two of them started last year in a terrible funk. Lawrie also hasn't really hit, and Avila walks but can't buy a base hit. So that's 5 cold players in our starting lineup. Not the best.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
The way I look at it, although Carlos might not agree with me, I'd rather be him playing every day in AAA than be the reserve role like Saladino.

I like Sanchez more than Tyler. I actually see more future value in him than Lawrie at 2b too. However, at this point I'd rather see him and Davidson down in AAA.

I'm not sold on Davidson. Let him show a half season or more at AAA of doing this. He is so fragile. I feel like he could hit .350 in AAA, get a call-up and then start 0-8 and be in a mental pickle and do horrible again.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rollins or Saladino both struggle or get injured and have Sanchez as your SS for a stretch some time this year.

Given the superior defense that Sanchez provides, if Lawrie doesn't start hitting, and Carlos starts the year on fire, at Charlotte, the Sox will be confronted with a difficult decision. Lawrie has not had a good Spring. His strikeouts are just awful. Way too many. Carlos has outplayed him by a huge margin.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 05:43 PM)
Given the superior defense that Sanchez provides, if Lawrie doesn't start hitting, and Carlos starts the year on fire, at Charlotte, the Sox will be confronted with a difficult decision. Lawrie has not had a good Spring. His strikeouts are just awful. Way too many. Carlos has outplayed him by a huge margin.

The Sox aren't gonna bench Lawrie and call up Sanchez early in the season if Lawrie isn't hitting. The only reason Sanchez will come up will be Saladino being miserably bad or injury

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 04:46 PM)
The Sox aren't gonna bench Lawrie and call up Sanchez early in the season if Lawrie isn't hitting. The only reason Sanchez will come up will be Saladino being miserably bad or injury

I understand that, but I wouldn't mind a trade for a left handed bat. I've always loved Sanchez and Lawrie is not doing anything to impress.

He has struck out 17 times in 44 at bats, this Spring. Yikes.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 05:49 PM)
I understand that, but I wouldn't mind a trade for a left handed bat. I've always loved Sanchez and Lawrie is not doing anything to impress.

He has struck out 17 times in 44 at bats, this Spring. Yikes.

Do tell

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
Do tell

How about one bullpen arm and Lawrie, for a left handed bat, that some team wants to unload as a salary dump. The Sox have salary room.

I'd much rather have the strong defense up the middle, and a middle of the order left handed bat. Ethier would have been a candidate for such a trade, but the injury

killed that. For me, this is more about liking Sanchez, than disliking Lawrie. I have the feeling Carlos is ready to contribute.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)

I definitely get this line of thinking, and I agree to a point, but what has Ishikawa done to earn the spot? At least Davidson was once a top prospect. Given the alternatives of Sands and Ishikawa, I'd go Davidson every time.

QUOTE (Louis Penna @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 06:10 PM)
I definitely get this line of thinking, and I agree to a point, but what has Ishikawa done to earn the spot? At least Davidson was once a top prospect. Given the alternatives of Sands and Ishikawa, I'd go Davidson every time.

I don't understand Ishikawa either, but let Davidson have some success at AAA first.

QUOTE (Louis Penna @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 05:10 PM)

I don't know...dude's been there...done that and has proven he's a very viable bench player IMO. He's even led his team to a WS back in 14...what's Davidson done besides have a good spring? I said this in the "LaRoach Replacement" thread that got glossed over...Ishikawa fits the bill to a tee. I really don't want somebody "who kinda plays 1B"...or "can" every once in a while over there. If he flops...sure...make a roster move but at this point the guy has earned a spot here and fills a need. There really shouldn't be any argument whatsoever about Ishikawa making the roster. Davidson AND Sanchez need to prove themselves more than just a good spring...