Spring Training Cuts thread

Dunt

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 06:07 PM)
How about one bullpen arm and Lawrie, for a left handed bat, that some team wants to unload as a salary dump. The Sox have salary room.

I'd much rather have the strong defense up the middle, and a middle of the order left handed bat. Ethier would have been a candidate for such a trade, but the injury

killed that. For me, this is more about liking Sanchez, than disliking Lawrie. I have the feeling Carlos is ready to contribute.

Don't think the Sox are just going to turn around and trade off Lawrie. Let's to remember sox had the worst offense production last year at 2nd and Sanchez was a major contributor.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ishikawa is known as a good clubhouse guy FWIW and if you squint hard enough you can see a useful platoon bat to spell Avi and Jose and even Jackson and Melky. Hopefully Robin never uses him against righties. And I mean never. They might have well of kept Davidson if that's the plan.

I really feel for Carlos Sanchez who from all accounts is an amazing family man (check his twitter) and it's got to be tough to after playing well for the 2nd half and then having a helluva spring that he's the odd man out. But that's just the way the roster is nothing against him. He's no great shakes but I still think he's a 2-2.5 WAR starter possibly as soon as this year. At 23 he still has time. With his glove he doesn't need to hit much more than 260/300/380 to be a solid starter in today's MLB. Scoring is down and 2B don't hit much anymore.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 09:04 PM)
Ishikawa is known as a good clubhouse guy FWIW and if you squint hard enough you can see a useful platoon bat to spell Avi and Jose and even Jackson and Melky. Hopefully Robin never uses him against righties. And I mean never. They might have well of kept Davidson if that's the plan.

I really feel for Carlos Sanchez who from all accounts is an amazing family man (check his twitter) and it's got to be tough to after playing well for the 2nd half and then having a helluva spring that he's the odd man out. But that's just the way the roster is nothing against him. He's no great shakes but I still think he's a 2-2.5 WAR starter possibly as soon as this year. At 23 he still has time. With his glove he doesn't need to hit much more than 260/300/380 to be a solid starter in today's MLB. Scoring is down and 2B don't hit much anymore.

Well if Robin never uses him vs righties and only lefties he should be fired.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 06:41 PM)
My trade target is Reddick. That's the guy I want and hope the As trade him. We also have a history with Oakland as a trade partner.

And not a successful one.

I would like to think that they never would have traded for Lawrie had the Frazier trade come first. But this org. would trade Sanchez before Lawrie.

I hope Ishikawa is up because the Sox think he can hit; not for this Robin clubhouse nonsense.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 08:46 AM)

I would like to think that they never would have traded for Lawrie had the Frazier trade come first. But this org. would trade Sanchez before Lawrie.

I hope Ishikawa is up because the Sox think he can hit; not for this Robin clubhouse nonsense.

I believe the Frazier deal was ready to be announced at the same time as the Lawrie deal but fell through at the last second. Ended up taking a while longer and the Reds were brought in.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 07:46 AM)

I agree. They wouldn't have needed Lawrie, if they had already acquired Frazier.

It looks like Billy Beane may have gotten the best of the Sox again. Maybe he knew that Lawrie was a "strike out machine". He's a great athlete, and he's strong, but he doesn't look like he's a very good hitter. A lot of teams have already given up on him. Let's hope that Steverson can get through to him. I hate that big hitch of his.

Nah we would still need Lawrie, considering we had the worst production in the MLB out of the 2B spot last year. Even if Lawrie is only the 20th best 2B (where projections have him), that's still a big upgrade. And we gave up nothing in the trade to get him.

Edited by OmarComing25

i then to think that the Lawrie was really not necessary, not with C. Sanchez in the fold. but in hindsight, getting lawrie, add more leadership quality kind of a player, adding to the current assorted leadership quality players. this kind of persona provide a professional attitude and how to get in a game mind-set that all true older players present.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
Nah we would still need Lawrie, considering we had the worst production in the MLB out of the 2B spot last year. Even if Lawrie is only the 20th best 2B (where projections have him), that's still a big upgrade. And we gave up nothing in the trade to get him.

Stop with facts

I like Lawrie and his potential still. If he hits .270 with 18-20 HRs that'll work right? I like Sanchez but he doesn't have enough power for me because we're already lacking power. I know we've hit 47 HRs this spring but last year really lacked it in the lineup.

Edited by SouthSideSale

It always amazes me how much some put into spring training numbers despite years and years of showing they usually don't mean too much.

On the other hand, if they are so important, Avi should be in the MVP discussion this year.

Keep in mind spring training numbers are a week and a half to 2 weeks of regular season PAs with many other factors that make it less like a real game built in.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
I like Lawrie and his potential still. If he hits .270 with 18-20 HRs that'll work right? I like Sanchez but he doesn't have enough power for me because we're already lacking power. I know we've hit 47 HRs this spring but last year really lacked it in the lineup.

I'm not sure he'll hit .270, but I think 18-20 HRs is definitely possible. Regardless, he's an upgrade over what the Sox have had at 2B for a while.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
It always amazes me how much some put into spring training numbers despite years and years of showing they usually don't mean too much.

On the other hand, if they are so important, Avi should be in the MVP discussion this year.

Well, the numbers matter if they're good (like this year), but they don't matter if they aren't good. It's just spring training, we say.

I'm being somewhat sarcastic, because I think (hope) that we all realize that spring training numbers don't necessarily translate to real life. However, it is nice to see the HRs and the improvement in some of the guys we're going to need to step up. We'll see how everything goes once they start playing in 45-50 degree weather and swirling winds.

Can't look too much into ST stats, good or bad. Davidson really should be at Charlotte since there's currently no starting role for him with the Sox and sitting him on the bench would be stupid. Things happen throughout the course of the season so its possible Davidson gets a shot at some point so its up to him to be ready.

Sanchez is the guy I really feel for. Before the Lawrie/Frazier trades, I was hoping to see Sanchez get another shot as the starting 2B but the Sox understandably made those trades to boost the offense from their infield. I believe Sanchez will be an everyday 2B but for now there's just no room so Charlotte is the right call. Sanchez being just 23 years old makes it easier to accept.

I think there is a very positive aspect being overlooked in these demotions. Davidson, Anderson and Sanchez all have the potential to become Sox infielders in the near future and they will be playing together everyday at Charlotte. Should the three of them ever become starters for the Sox, they will already have a rhythm developed between them on the field and know what each other is capable of on the diamond.

Now, add little Jacob May to that mix of talent and thats four young players that are worth getting a little excited about, to some degree or another. Charlotte should be alot of fun to follow this year.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)
Well, the numbers matter if they're good (like this year), but they don't matter if they aren't good. It's just spring training, we say.

I'm being somewhat sarcastic, because I think (hope) that we all realize that spring training numbers don't necessarily translate to real life. However, it is nice to see the HRs and the improvement in some of the guys we're going to need to step up. We'll see how everything goes once they start playing in 45-50 degree weather and swirling winds.

ahh you have 2 different scenario's here. i will deal the the obvious. st gives hope for those who want to impress the coaches and managers, esp those in the major league team.

now, they, the prospects will need to take that success and build on it, show they are capable of maintaining the good part of st and can last in the long haul.

while the experience will need that time to wipe the rust off and get the timing down.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
Can't look too much into ST stats, good or bad. Davidson really should be at Charlotte since there's currently no starting role for him with the Sox and sitting him on the bench would be stupid. Things happen throughout the course of the season so its possible Davidson gets a shot at some point so its up to him to be ready.

Sanchez is the guy I really feel for. Before the Lawrie/Frazier trades, I was hoping to see Sanchez get another shot as the starting 2B but the Sox understandably made those trades to boost the offense from their infield. I believe Sanchez will be an everyday 2B but for now there's just no room so Charlotte is the right call. Sanchez being just 23 years old makes it easier to accept.

I think there is a very positive aspect being overlooked in these demotions. Davidson, Anderson and Sanchez all have the potential to become Sox infielders in the near future and they will be playing together everyday at Charlotte. Should the three of them ever become starters for the Sox, they will already have a rhythm developed between them on the field and know what each other is capable of on the diamond.

Now, add little Jacob May to that mix of talent and thats four young players that are worth getting a little excited about, to some degree or another. Charlotte should be alot of fun to follow this year.

a great descriptive outlook ....

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
ahh you have 2 different scenario's here. i will deal the the obvious. st gives hope for those who want to impress the coaches and managers, esp those in the major league team.

now, they, the prospects will need to take that success and build on it, show they are capable of maintaining the good part of st and can last in the long haul.

while the experience will need that time to wipe the rust off and get the timing down.

I agree. I was talking about from the fan's perspective, but you're right. There is always a group of players (for the most part a big chunk of that 25 man roster) that have guaranteed spots. So, in reality, a team has 2-5 spots that are "up for grabs", and there are a bunch of players fighting for those spots. Obviously there are plenty of guys who are invited to spring training who have no chance to make the 25-man, but they're invited to get some experience and allow the coaches to check them out...for the future. It's those guys like Sanchez and Davidson (this year at least) that now have an opportunity to go back to AAA where they'll play every day, and they'll either continue to do well or it will be obvious that their spring training numbers were a fluke.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 03:51 PM)
I agree. I was talking about from the fan's perspective, but you're right. There is always a group of players (for the most part a big chunk of that 25 man roster) that have guaranteed spots. So, in reality, a team has 2-5 spots that are "up for grabs", and there are a bunch of players fighting for those spots. Obviously there are plenty of guys who are invited to spring training who have no chance to make the 25-man, but they're invited to get some experience and allow the coaches to check them out...for the future. It's those guys like Sanchez and Davidson (this year at least) that now have an opportunity to go back to AAA where they'll play every day, and they'll either continue to do well or it will be obvious that their spring training numbers were a fluke.

this was a great discussion, i truly enjoyed it.

thanks

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
I'm not sure he'll hit .270, but I think 18-20 HRs is definitely possible. Regardless, he's an upgrade over what the Sox have had at 2B for a while.

He's like a version of what I thought beckham would end up being. Once I knew he wouldn't hit over .300 I hoped he'd be basically what Lawrie is.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
He's like a version of what I thought beckham would end up being. Once I knew he wouldn't hit over .300 I hoped he'd be basically what Lawrie is.

That is actually a pretty solid comp. Obviously it never happened, but that is about what the hope for Gordo was.

Sanchez hit 252/302 /385 for an OPS+ of 87 in the 2nd half. He faded down the stretch but that's to be expected of a guy going through his first 162 game MLB season. Like has been said he's not surefire 2 WAR but he's not replacement level either.

Lawrie is better than Sanchez currently but Sanchez is def an asset the org should continue to try and develop into a solid starter. You can never have enough slick fielding middle infielders IMO. Hopefully he goes down and tears up AAA and gives the Sox options if they need to make a trade to find help elsewhere -- like at the back of the rotation.

This team may need to trade for a starter at some point. Hope Latos stays healthy and gets it going.

I think they are hoping and praying he's healthy enough to have throw 80 innings by the time July roles around. Then I think they are hoping to pass the baton to Fulmer. They obviously don't rate Johnson so they should probably just trade him while he's still got some value.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 06:04 PM)
This team may need to trade for a starter at some point. Hope Latos stays healthy and gets it going.

well i would not suggest that many on this site have been saying this.

but i really like the idea of really rolling the dice here. only of the upper management will agree to it.

idea. teams that need to dump salary. perfect scope of other teams doing just this.

so i am looking at the marlins of the late 90's when they got and assembled the right group to win the Ws.

teams trying to do that now. ARZ, La Dodgers.

why not the chi sox....

team Padres, and they would love to dump salary and have discuss options. J. Shields. would look nice and really help..... in many ways. :gosox3:

going to coming to the sox shields and their 3 comp picks.

going to the padres - hakins, danish, lowry and hell even trey.

now why should they, padres want to do this, help in prospects coming in, loosing salary money and the team salary will be at 68-70 mil.