Spring Training Cuts thread

Dunt

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
No they shouldn't.

Why not? They aren't going to be able to spend that extra $13 million from LaRoche until much, much closer to the trade deadline. Claim him and work out a trade where the Rays pick up a couple million and Chicago sends them a reliever or Johnson or whatever they prefer.

Loney is a fine player and I'd love to have a guy capable of replacing Avi full time if he sucks again.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 04:24 PM)
I'd DH him over Avi. He hits righties OK. While his pitches per plate appearance tend to be league normal, he has great career (& recent years) contact rates - out of zone, in zone, all of it.

For sure. On a team that often struggles to just put the ball in play he'd be a great fit. Batting average doesn't mean much without context but it's hard to not have offensive value when, like Loney,you can hit 290.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
I would rather they get someone who can hit home runs. The Sox suck when they don't hit home runs.

Anyone who currently fits that profile on the market? I can't find anyone.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
Anyone who currently fits that profile on the market? I can't find anyone.

Depends how much money Cincinatti would eat with Jay Bruce. If they were willing to eat $8 million like in the trade that went bust, there's the play right there.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
Why not? They aren't going to be able to spend that extra $13 million from LaRoche until much, much closer to the trade deadline. Claim him and work out a trade where the Rays pick up a couple million and Chicago sends them a reliever or Johnson or whatever they prefer.

Loney is a fine player and I'd love to have a guy capable of replacing Avi full time if he sucks again.

Uh if somebody claims him there will be no trade. The Rays will just let that team have him and the Rays will save his entire salary.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
Depends how much money Cincinatti would eat with Jay Bruce. If they were willing to eat $8 million like in the trade that went bust, there's the play right there.

I think we've come to the conclusion that Bruce or any other big bat isn't going to happen until closer to the deadline.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)
Taking on Loney for anything more than 1-2 million would be a huge waste of money.

Why? They can't "waste" it on anything almost certainly until closer to the deadline. Usually guys like Loney aren't available on March 30th and usually you don't have a free 13 million cleared up two weeks earlier to put towards improving the roster.

It's a very unusual situation but it doesn't mean the Sox shouldn't look into it. If they are committed to Avi then I understand that but they probably should at least do due diligence on Loney and see what the Rays are asking. There's no reason not to at least investigate the idea of acquiring him.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 09:50 PM)
Why? They can't "waste" it on anything almost certainly until closer to the deadline. Usually guys like Loney aren't available on March 30th and usually you don't have a free 13 million cleared up two weeks earlier to put towards improving the roster.

It's a very unusual situation but it doesn't mean the Sox shouldn't look into it. If they are committed to Avi then I understand that but they probably should at least do due diligence on Loney and see what the Rays are asking. There's no reason not to at least investigate the idea of acquiring him.

For starters, he's garbage. Neg 1.3 fWAR last year is the type of player the Sox should be moving away from, not taking on a bad contract to save Tampa.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
Uh if somebody claims him there will be no trade. The Rays will just let that team have him and the Rays will save his entire salary.

Is he on irrevocable waivers? Not sure honestly. If he is, then yea but often times teams will work out a trade rather than just a pure waiver claim.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)
I would rather they get someone who can hit home runs. The Sox suck when they don't hit home runs.

Only thing Loney provides is he's a first baseman. Outside of that, he does nothing to help this lineup.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
Is he on irrevocable waivers? Not sure honestly. If he is, then yea but often times teams will work out a trade rather than just a pure waiver claim.

Even if it is revocable waivers the only team that could revoke the claim would be the Rays and why would they do that when they could save that entire $8 million.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 04:57 PM)
Even if it is revocable waivers the only team that could revoke the claim would be the Rays and why would they do that when they could save that entire $8 million.

So they get assets back rather than just the money. Sometimes teams prefer to pay a little freight and get back an A ball reliever or whatever. Teams also put guys on waivers all the time to judge interest and then yank them back if they can't work out a trade.

But if they waived him and DFA I'm pretty sure they can't pull him back off.