What to make of Avi's start

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 10:15 AM)
JJ Stankevitz ‏@JJStankevitz 3m3 minutes ago

What can the #WhiteSox make of Avisail Garcia's fast start to spring training? On @CSNChicago: http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/what-c...s-strong-spring

The most important aspect of the fast start is that it will reinforce to Avi that the corrections made to his stance will work. If you make change and don't see results you will start thinking the changes were wrong.

Avi is a big guy who has always hit like a slap hitter throwing his bat at a lot of pitches as if he always had 2 strikes on him. But when he hit a hanging breaking ball and it goes 450 feet you could see the power potential.

If he is seeing the ball better and it helps him recognize pitches , make harder contact and lay off the crap pitchers throw him then he will improve greatly. The early results are encouraging but nothing to get excited about yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
In 2015 ST A-games Avisail Garcia hit .313 during the spring with a couple HR and a couple 2b.

Whats more encouraging about this spring is the Xtra base hits. In only 23 AB's so far this spring he has 3 double 1 triple and 2 HR's .

Last year he had 3 doubles and 2 HR's but that was in 64 AB's.

Yes small sample sizes and spring training but just looking for positives.

Oh another good sign.

As I mentioned his HR's usually came on low hanging breaking pitches which if I recall he would hit very hard and very far but to left center field. Now it seems as if those pitches are being recognized earlier and as a result are being hit very hard and very far but to left field. In other words if he is recognizing the pitch earlier its resulting in swinging earlier ( microseconds) and pulling it more . Pulling those pitches will result in more HR's since a 350 foot fly ball to left can be a HR but an out to left center.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
Garcia's 2015 batting average by month:

April: .309

May: .333

June: .181

July: .253

August: .278

September: .208

It's not his average that was his problem. He always had the talent to get balls to drop into right field while reaching for bad pitches. It was always weak contact and not hitting like a guy of his build should. The xtra base hits where he is driving the balls to both gaps and over the fence are what we need to focus on.

So far this spring his SLG. (.913) and OPS (1.393) are obscene and easily best on the team for those with more than 20 AB's .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I think we should trade him and try to capitalize on the his rising value, something like Avi for Mark Appel+a 15-20 prospect from the Phillies like Nick Pivetta, Alberto Tirado or Tyler Goeddel.

I know Appel has really struggled since being drafted but a lot of the knocks against him concern the lack of movement on his fastball, which adding a cutter (Coop's specialty) could transform his game, but from all accounts his stuff is still electric.

EDIT- Just saw LaRoche is retiring, I say let Avi slip into the DH and platoon with Melky since that roster spot opened up.

Edited by Bruce_Blixton

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 12:51 PM)
Garcia's 2015 batting average by month:

April: .309

May: .333

June: .181

July: .253

August: .278

September: .208

He hit well the first two months due to having an unsustainably high .400+ BABIP. His power numbers were the same as they were the rest of the year. It was easy to predict the ensuing dropoff.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:25 PM)
I think we should trade him and try to capitalize on the his rising value, something like Avi for Mark Appel+a 15-20 prospect from the Phillies like Nick Pivetta, Alberto Tirado or Tyler Goeddel.

I know Appel has really struggled since being drafted but a lot of the knocks against him concern the lack of movement on his fastball, which adding a cutter (Coop's specialty) could transform his game, but from all accounts his stuff is still electric.

No one is paying up for Avi Garcia based on two weeks of spring training stats.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
No one is paying up for Avi Garcia based on two weeks of spring training stats.

Fair enough but I'm not sure if Appel would be that high of a price at this point, he was traded for a developing closer this offseason and not even one-for-one but part of a seven-player package. At this point I think Appel is nearing reclamation status like Gavin Floyd when he was with the Phillies.

Edited by Bruce_Blixton

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
Fair enough but I'm not sure if Appel would be that high of a price at this point, he was traded for a developing closer this offseason and not even one-for-one but part of a seven-player package. At this point I think Appel is nearing reclamation status like Gavin Floyd when he was with the Phillies.

Giles is a lot better than you're giving him credit for.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
Giles is a lot better than you're giving him credit for.

He could be a stud closer like Kimbrel or he could be an Addison Reed but being a closer he already has somewhat limited value and the fact that Appel had to be included as part of a four-player package to get Giles should suggest how low Appel's value really is around the league.

Edited by Bruce_Blixton

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
Avi needs to divorce his slash line from his BABIP. He needs to hit for more power and take more walks. He's not a slug but he's not a burner like Eaton that needs to slap hits everywhere and throw his bat at stuff hoping to just get on base. More pulled homeruns and less chasing junk.

Heck, he doesn't even really need to "take more walks", he needs to not swing outside the zone. Don't help the pitcher out - feel free to not walk, just make sure they throw you a strike before you swing at it.

Unfortunately, things like that aren't easily assessed from spring training stats. With pitchers also just trying to get their work in, he could be getting far more balls in the strike zone than normal and that could be a major contributor to his solid ST performance (as it could have been last year as well).