Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
With the 'found money' if Laroche is truly done, maybe now we can swing a deal for CarGO that doesn't include Anderson or Fulmer. The extra money in theory lets us take on more of his contract, and thus offer less quality prospects.

I'd rather pursue that then Morneau or Bruce...

Trading Cargo would make the Rockies front office look like liars since Parra signed there to play with him and they've pretty much said Cargo isn't going anywhere.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)
No thanks to anyone with recurrent concussion issues.

Morneau did hit .316/.363/.487 with 20 homers in 732 PA over the last two seasons and he won the NL batting title in 2014, so it’s rather surprising that his market has been almost entirely quiet. (from MLB trade rumors)

2014 wasn't so long ago and he had concussion problems before then although they did resurface again last year along with a neck issue but he seemed to have come back pretty strongly .

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
Justin Morneau will never sign with the White Sox, ever. Even if we were the last team on Earth. Not happening.

Why do you keep saying this? I bet he'd sign with the Sox over sitting out a year, even if he didn't like the team for whatever reason.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 04:21 PM)
I'd like more elaboration please.

A White Sox-Twins rivalry that has been among the best in baseball in recent years could be about to grow in intensity.

Those who know Justin Morneau say he takes the rivalry more seriously than anybody in the Twins clubhouse. Now we might know just how seriously he takes it.

Jesse Crain, who pitched for the Twins for the past seven seasons, said he still hasn't received a call or text of congratulations from Morneau after signing his new contract with the White Sox this winter.

"He never congratulated me; he's the one guy who didn't," Crain said. "Even [Michael] Cuddyer and [Denard] Span and all those guys, [Joe] Mauer, everybody did. But Morneau was the one guy who never did it."

Crain and Morneau, both born in Canada, were good friends and had a solid relationship in the clubhouse, according to Crain. Just how much their friendship will change remains to be seen, but apparently it's already been affected.

Crain tried to downplay the lack of contact.

Told that Morneau still hadn't congratulated his buddy Crain on landing a financially solid deal and winding up with a winning team at the same time, Teahen didn't seem too surprised.

"You know that there's that rivalry there, but with Morneau, he seems to take it hard even off the field," Teahen said. "It was fun to see and it lights your fire to want to have the same passion back the other way."

So when it was time to end the workout routine and head in their respective directions for the start of spring training, was Morneau able to wish Teahen well?

"He gave me a little fist pump and said, 'All right, I'm going to act like I don't know you until the end of the season,'" Teahen said. "I told him I was cool with that."

Whether that will actually matter when there's money on the table I don't know. Much easier to hold onto a rivalry when none of your money is on the table.

One more version of it from 06:

After Saturday's game, Justin Morneau was asked about his chances of winning the American League MVP Award this season, but he made it clear that other things remain a little more important to him than personal accolades -- including beating the White Sox.

"I just want to win, and I'll do anything to not let Chicago get into the playoffs," Morneau said. "That's all that matters. Obviously, we're still trying to chase Detroit, but you'd almost rather see anybody go in other than Chicago."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
I'd like more elaboration please.

At least when he was with the Twins, it was common knowledge he truly hated the White Sox. When Jesse Crain signed with the Sox all his former teammates contacted him to congratulate him on his new deal. Except one. Maybe now that he is not a Twin, that hatred isn't there. But it at least was an issue at one time.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 03:23 PM)
Beggars can't be choosers but what issues from the past are you referring to ?

Probably referring to this comment:

"I just want to win, and I'll do anything to not let Chicago get into the playoffs," Morneau told Minnesota writers over the weekend. "That's all that matters. Obviously, we're still trying to chase Detroit, but you'd almost rather see anybody go in other than Chicago."

But he said that 10 years ago, so meh. I doubt it'd be an issue.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 7m7 minutes ago

Hahn on having $13M more in the till: 'It opens up possibility that we have more flexibility in coming weeks or months up to deadline'

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 9m9 minutes ago

Hahn 'Wont leave any stone unturned if we need to go outside org to get better. We haven't spent lot of time going thru alternatives'

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 10m10 minutes ago

Hahn said LaRoche's back was progressing.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 12m12 minutes ago

Hahn: May provide opps for guys we have now or for opps down road to make acquisitions outside org, whether in spring or up to deadline

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 03:27 PM)
raBBit also pointed out Daniel Vogelbach, Jonathan Singleton, Oswaldo Arcia, and Jesus Montero as potential fits.

something something ice cream sandwich joke something something

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
I kind of doubt the Sox were offering something like that.

Yeah, Reinsdorf isn't the kind of guy who's going to give somebody $10M to sit at home.

Unless there's something in LaRoche's contract or the CBA that stipulates a specific buyout amount, I'd see the Sox offering him more like $3M for staying in shape this off-season and showing up to ST.

i am going to be really respectful of laroche and wish him the best, however, i will wait until if is finalized.

i guess pride in one self in worth more than $$$ for him.... and that is a great person to do this.

now, how does that works against or for the salary cap???

will the owners do anything to address this need???

or are they going to count the money being saved???

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
I like the Morneau idea much more than Bruce. He'd be much cheaper in terms of money and prospects, and he has proven that he can hit in the AL Central.

cincy will need to look into doing a salary dump. i will look at that first, play hard ball with cincy.

Morneau i keep hearing this, but i am asking, how much of the col factor is in those stats.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
Whether that will actually matter when there's money on the table I don't know. Much easier to hold onto a rivalry when none of your money is on the table.

One more version of it from 06:

I think he played with AJP a few years and probably didnt get along with him so that last added quote about "anyone but the Sox" most likely is because AJ was there in 2006 which is no longer the case . Also Ozzie always stirred up the rivalry talking about the "piranhas".

Doubt it matters now when you don't have a job.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
I think he played with AJP a few years and probably didnt get along with him so that last added quote about "anyone but the Sox" most likely is because AJ was there in 2006 which is no longer the case . Also Izzie always stirred up the rivalry talking about the "piranhas".

Doubt it matters now when you don't have a job.

Morneau played 40 games with the Twins in AJ's last season there, 2003. Maybe from Spring Training there's something, but that's a lot of hate for a guy from a short amount of time in ST.