Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
That doesn't make much sense either. One article I read said his kid has his own stall in the clubhouse this year. Why would they kick him out now? I can see a no kids rule, but I really don't think he would walk away from a profession because of this.

Lots of new people on the team this year. I'd guess that other players probably wanted clubhouse access and a stall for their own kids as well. Or perhaps no kids at all in the clubhouse.

I respect the fact that LaRoche is a family-oriented guy, but a major-league clubhouse really isn't a place for kids. And if he had a big problem with that (which I'm very skeptical of in the first place), then too bad.

Edited by Black_Jack29

i basically see nothing of this from LaRoche's angle-- except this....you KNOW that before they signed him, this was discussed..and the Sox let the kid be there for a year

So i wonder if laroche had hit .307 last year if this was going to be a policy switch or not.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
Lots of new people on the team this year. I'd guess that other players probably wanted clubhouse access and a stall for their own kids as well. Or perhaps no kids at all in the clubhouse.

I respect the fact that LaRoche is a family-oriented guy, but a major-league clubhouse really isn't a place for kids. And if he had a big problem with that (which I'm very skeptical of in the first place), then too bad.

I wouldn't want a kid in the clubhouse if I were a ML player. If I'm in a room of adults, I'm gonna talk and swear like one. I don't want kids around to hear that or for them to be around to restrict me from expressing myself.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)
I really have no issue with either side of this.

The White Sox have every right to make a rule against children if they feel it affects winning baseball games.

If family is that important to LaRoche and he would rather walk away from the game and the money, then that's his business, he has every right to.

Yup. See ya later, Adam.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
I wouldn't want a kid in the clubhouse if I were a ML player. If I'm in a room of adults, I'm gonna talk and swear like one. I don't want kids around to hear that or for them to be around to restrict me from expressing myself.

I agree. I could see how this would be super annoying to other teammates.

I'm sure they'll (Hahn or somebody) will have to talk about this in some detail in the next couple days. It's probably a vocal minority that complained, but that may be enough. The team has enough distractions, and if they don't want some kid there stretching with the team and there all of the time, then that's their clubhouse to establish a tone.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 17s17 seconds ago

Sources: LaRoche chose to retire after #WhiteSox prez Ken Williams told him that he no longer could bring 14-year-old son into clubhouse.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 16s16 seconds ago

LaRoche’s son, Drake, 14, has traveled with him for several years. Adam, in a Chicago Tribune story last year, called him team’s “26th man.”

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 37s38 seconds ago

LaRoche’s friend, #Brewers pitcher Blaine Boyer: “He’s an unbelievable father, an unbelievable husband, a friend you can only dream of.”

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 4s4 seconds ago

“…it’s an unbelievable test of who he is, the husband he is, the father he is.”

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 22s22 seconds ago

Boyer added: “I honestly think this is between good and evil. I know which side Adam lives on. I’m thankful to see the way he’s acting…

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)

Yep. Even in a traditional workplace, without all of the swearing and naked dudes walking around, I wouldn't want kids there either. It's distracting.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)
JFC.

How anybody will blame the Sox for this, I don't know, but they will.

Look at the replies to the Rosenthal tweet, the majority are siding with LaRoche and calling the Sox "cold-blooded". Unbelievable.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
Yep. Even in a traditional workplace, without all of the swearing and naked dudes walking around, I wouldn't want kids there either. It's distracting.

Yep. I teach Junior High. This workplace environment would be awesome without kids around.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 17s17 seconds ago

Sources: LaRoche chose to retire after #WhiteSox prez Ken Williams told him that he no longer could bring 14-year-old son into clubhouse.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 16s16 seconds ago

LaRoche’s son, Drake, 14, has traveled with him for several years. Adam, in a Chicago Tribune story last year, called him team’s “26th man.”

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 37s38 seconds ago

LaRoche’s friend, #Brewers pitcher Blaine Boyer: “He’s an unbelievable father, an unbelievable husband, a friend you can only dream of.”

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 4s4 seconds ago

“…it’s an unbelievable test of who he is, the husband he is, the father he is.”

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 22s22 seconds ago

Boyer added: “I honestly think this is between good and evil. I know which side Adam lives on. I’m thankful to see the way he’s acting…

To me the question is this. Did the White Sox do it on a management level, or did they have teammates who weren't comfortable with it, forcing/causing Kenny to be the bad guy and make the change.