Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
This is a really stupid question, but does LaRoche's kid go to any type of schooling?

I understand wanting to be in a Major League clubhouse with your dad, but the kid was getting really annoying.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...38260--mlb.html

"Long ago, LaRoche prioritized bringing Drake with him over traditional schooling. He goes to class in winter. In Viera, he brings schoolwork with him and sees a private tutor at a Sylvan Learning Center. They live in a small Kansas town, and LaRoche arranged Drake’s education with the public school. LaRoche said Drake’s school is fine so long as Drake passes standardized tests."

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 08:53 PM)
The thing with LaRoche is that he sucked last year and it was clear his body wasn't going to really hold up after that injury last week. So if he wasn't going to be good and he was going to be hurting, at least he was going to have his son around. But with the Sox dropping the hammer on that, he'd literally have nothing to play for. I can see why he wanted to retire.

Totally agree, don't know why this story had to go public

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
I don't know. Even is he is a great kid I don't think I would want a 14 year old around all the time. I would feel like I would have to watch what I do or say all the time because I wouldn't want to expose a 14 year old to anything he shouldn't be exposed to. (foul language, dirty jokes, whatever it may be)

Exactly.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
Um, why. Laroche is an employee, he looks unprofessional out of all this, not the Sox.

I just heard some guy call in to ESPN. He said it was written into the contract LaRoche signed to bring his kid to the clubhouse. Not sure how this guy knows that. Let's see what other stories come out.

Kenny's comments seem reasonable and logical to me. Well done Kenny! (and who knows, the cynic in me thinks Kenny may have been thinking of a way to try to force LaRoche and his 13 million dollar deal out thus greatly helping the Sox. If so WELL DONE KENNY!)

Mark

QUOTE (Saufley @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 07:56 PM)
I just heard some guy call in to ESPN. He said it was written into the contract LaRoche signed to bring his kid to the clubhouse. Not sure how this guy knows that. Let's see what other stories come out.

I'm sure that would have been reported in one of the 1,000 stories about Drake last year

QUOTE (Saufley @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)

Did it say how often?

If this were the hangup, I imagine that LaRoche would've filed a complaint through the player's union, rather than retire.

Totally get the Sox on this. Professional and reasonable request.

Also totally get LaRoche on this. If this is the way he wants it done, and his office doesn't allow it, he can make a choice.

Lots of noise on this, but in the end, I have no problem with either side.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
Even the nicest people in the world can get on people's nerves if they're constantly around.

Then the entire team should be annoyed with each other.

Many teams let their kids in the clubhouse, many have a policy against it. Either is OK. Just don't have one that allows it, and then ask the player who this means so much, to not take advantage. As the earlier post stated, does he have this conversation if LaRoche had a big year last year, and was healthy this spring? I don't think he does. If the truth is he would, then I apologize to KW.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 08:57 PM)
Kenny's comments seem reasonable and logical to me. Well done Kenny! (and who knows, the cynic in me thinks Kenny may have been thinking of a way to try to force LaRoche and his 13 million dollar deal out thus greatly helping the Sox. If so WELL DONE KENNY!)

Mark

well i am going to admit i was wrong in thinking that the sox had a big under the table deal to force laroche to retire....

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
Did it say how often?

If this were the hangup, I imagine that LaRoche would've filed a complaint through the player's union, rather than retire.

Just saying it was a guy calling in to ESPN. Don't know who it was or anything. Just another story. We'll see.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
This spring he has been around all the time, but LaRoche has been hurt and unable to do anything anyway. The article I linked stated he had limited access during the season, and he played on a couple of teams so he wasn't around every game.

This is just KW being KW. It shouldn't have been a surprise Drake LaRoche would be at spring training daily. He was last year as well. In the article it said LaRoche's wife and daughter don't come to AZ until about halfway through spring training. KW should have said something before spring training started. That's all I'm saying. It's obvious he is frustrated by LaRoche's performance/injury/whatever, and he took it out on the kid. I don't think it makes the White Sox evil at all. I do think it shows how petty KW can be.

Not really sure how they took it out on the kid. He made a simple request to dial it back. He struggled last year, the team struggled last year, this is a business. It's his job, he quit the job because of a request.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)

I gave AL the benefit of the doubt until this came out. LaRoche isn't holding up his end of the contract (to perform) so there is nothing wrong with the Sox asking him to dial back his son being there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
Totally get the Sox on this. Professional and reasonable request.

Also totally get LaRoche on this. If this is the way he wants it done, and his office doesn't allow it, he can make a choice.

Lots of noise on this, but in the end, I have no problem with either side.

Agreed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
It isn't a black or white thing. I think they are both right. The Sox have the right to control the work environment, and LaRoche has the right (and ability) to quit his job and do what he wants to do. More power both of them. I don't get LaRoche choosing that as an issue to quit on, but if he believes it in that much, good for him to stand up for it.

You can't quit on a contract without repercussions. Retirement is the option.

My theory is he's an older player and now having back problems doesn't bode well for an aging career.