Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 6m6 minutes ago

Just heard back from Kenny Williams...nothing in LaRoche's contract about son Drake being allowed in clubhouse every day. #WhiteSox

Damage Control Eff You KW is hilarious. :lol:

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 4m4 minutes ago Chicago, IL

More KW: ".. If this is allowed at this level right now, how do I tell the next guy that he can’t and then the next one after that?..

Merkin is right. Now every player has a locker for their kids and it's a f***ing daycare.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
The other thing is, you say something like KW says, and how is LaRoche ever going to be comfortable ever bringing his kid in the clubhouse, whether it's once a week or once a month? You know KW is taking attendance. What is the cutoff between fine and too much? LaRoche walked away from a lot of money in a rather short period of time. Obviously having his son there meant a lot to him. As I said, I have no problem with the White Sox having a policy you can't bring your kid in every day, but they should have had it in place a while ago. If the White Sox could have signed Alex Gordon but Alex wanted his kid in the clubhouse every day during spring training, I really doubt KW would have said that would be a deal breaker. And if he did and that news came out, everyone would rightfully be blasting KW.

All it takes is one person to take advantage of something and it can ruin it for everyone else. They have an open policy saying it's OK to bring your kid in. They probably never said before how much a player can bring their kids in because they never had one that brought their kids in everyday. But it's like taking advantage of something and taking to an extreme when they say is ok to bring your kid in then you bring them everyday. Would be like going to Sam's club to try a free sample of pizza but then sitting there and eating an entire pizza in samples. Just because there isn't limit doesn't mean it's right to take advantage of it.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 08:29 PM)
The Sox dont look bad in this situation to me. KW on the other hand looks like a complete ***. KW has to go and for me this just throws more fuel onto that fire. To say your not changing a policy but he can't have his kid there more then 50% of the time is completely chaging the policy.

KW's comments were perfect

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:29 PM)
The Sox dont look bad in this situation to me. KW on the other hand looks like a complete ***. KW has to go and for me this just throws more fuel onto that fire. To say your not changing a policy but he can't have his kid there more then 50% of the time is completely chaging the policy.

I can't stand KW but he did absolutely nothing wrong here.

Good for the Sox for standing firm on this. It's a f***ing professional work environment and while there's obvious differences between a clubhouse and your average say -- Doctor's Office -- it's a professional environment nonetheless -- your family is welcome on occasion but certainly not all the time.

If LaRoche really wanted to spend more time with his kid he should...retire. Which seems to be what happened.

I can easily see where some of the other players, including the single guys were getting annoyed. So what, LaRoche can bring his kid to every game and have him hang out in the clubhouse, so how about a non married player bringing his GF? How about her kids? I mean where does it end.

Not a KW fan anymore but good on him for putting his foot down.

David Haugh ‏@DavidHaugh 19m19 minutes ago

Williams addressed unified #WhiteSox team: "One thing I commended my players on was sticking together. They stuck by their guy and his son.

This better not have a lasting impact on the team chemistry.

Edited by fathom

Good get this idiot out of here. If I got paid $13M to do a job and utterly and embarrassingly failed I would be damn sure to work my ass off next opportunity. Leave your kid at home, shut your mouth, and get in the cage until you figure out how to hit again. All there is to it.

And why would you want your kid there anyway? Any locker room setting I've ever been in was no place for a kid. Just because Laroche chooses to live his life a certain way doesn't mean everyone else does. I'm sure there were a lot of guys who felt uncomfortable knowing there was a 14 year old within ear shot at all times.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
Maybe the players aren't too happy with the club's decision?

Too bad. Start playing better and maybe exceptions will be made.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
Good get this idiot out of here. If I got paid $13M to do a job and utterly and embarrassingly failed I would be damn sure to work my ass off next opportunity. Leave your kid at home, shut your mouth, and get in the cage until you figure out how to hit again. All there is to it.

And why would you want your kid there anyway? Any locker room setting I've ever been in was no place for a kid. Just because Laroche chooses to live his life a certain way doesn't mean everyone else does. I'm sure there were a lot of guys who felt uncomfortable knowing there was a 14 year old within ear shot at all times.

These are my feelings in a nutshell as well.

Nice post.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
David Haugh ‏@DavidHaugh 19m19 minutes ago

Williams addressed unified #WhiteSox team: "One thing I commended my players on was sticking together. They stuck by their guy and his son.

This better not have a lasting impact on the team chemistry.

If the players wanted him around, but Kenny said no, then this is a bad bad idea.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:51 PM)
That's sort of what it sounds like, but it makes zero sense. I still think it was absolutely the right call, but is that quote implying Kenny Williams made that decision completely on his own without any of the players being on board? I just can't believe that.

The other way to read that is once again Kenny is falling on the sword, so that LaRoche doesn't have to wonder who were the teammates that had an issue.

Kenny has no problems being the bad guy.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:51 PM)
That's sort of what it sounds like, but it makes zero sense. I still think it was absolutely the right call, but is that quote implying Kenny Williams made that decision completely on his own without any of the players being on board? I just can't believe that.

The other way to read that is once again Kenny is falling on the sword, so that LaRoche doesn't have to wonder who were the teammates that had an issue.

This is what I would bet my money on. Kenny doesn't really care what people think of him, and as long as you aren't at war with him, he would be the type of guy to protect you. I think he values the team unity over some people being pissed off at him right now.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
Again, you're just ignoring my explanation and are completely misinterpreting my stance. Taking me out of context and telling me to chill, saying "smh" (these aren't you, just examples) doesn't make sense when I agree with you guys.

You have a way of over reacting to minor things.

Yeah, honestly if KW was the only one with this problem after not establishing the rules ahead of spring training I look at this as an unneccessary distraction worse than a kid being there everyday.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 09:53 PM)
Kenny has no problems being the bad guy.

Colleen Kane ‏@ChiTribKane 37m37 minutes ago

Ken Williams: "Sometimes you have to make decisions in this world that are unpopular. I’ve been unpopular before.’

I'm also tagging a long with the general agreement that this is absurb.

1. LaRoche may love his kid, but bringing him to work for you does not make you father of the year. Teaching your kid 'lessons' and giving him the ability to live a happy, intelligent life is what makes you father of the year.

2. There is no room for a kid to be around your work 100% of the time. That's insane. Have the kid hang out with friends or something, school, whatever. To tag a long on a note for LaRoche... he was one of the biggest failures all year last year. As others have stated, if this was me, I'd be working my ass off to show people I am still 'that' guy.

Ah, too funny, too funny.