Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 11:02 PM)
David KaplanVerified account ‏@thekapman 13m13 minutes ago

Do not believe for 1 sec Adam LaRoche is in wrong. After doing my homework I promise you Sox said Drake could ALWAYS be around.

idiot.

So, realistically, why would Kaplan be so firmly in LaRoche's corner on this? Aside from meat company thing that Fathom is mentioning that I'm not at all familiar with. He's being incredibly aggressive on this topic.

Here's a thought, why not wait until the offseason of 2016 to make this change in policy? Kenny has stated in interviews that "nothing has changed" regarding the Sox stance with his kid but that's just plain politicians talk.

This story is the oddest since Olivo going Mike Tyson.

David Kaplan ‏@thekapman 42m42 minutes ago

Just so we're clear: Sox agreed to let LaRoche have son be around 100% of the time. Condition of him agreeing to sign w/the White Sox. 100%.

I don't know how this guy is seen as credible

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 05:08 AM)
David Kaplan ‏@thekapman 42m42 minutes ago

Just so we're clear: Sox agreed to let LaRoche have son be around 100% of the time. Condition of him agreeing to sign w/the White Sox. 100%.

I don't know how this guy is seen as credible

What if LaRoche is the person who told him this new info after hearing things from Sox management earlier?

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 11:14 PM)
Doesn't this almost make LaRoche look worse? There was an agreement. Things can change. They had a discussion, apparently a week ago, and LaRoche continued to bring his son into the clubhouse every day. Another conversation is had, and LaRoche picks up his ball and goes home? Circumstances change in business every day.

Especially when that agreement isn't built into his contract.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 07:19 PM)
If Jose Anreu or Chris Sale brought their kid to the clubhouse every day this spring and Brett Lowry didn't like it, do you really think KW would have done the same thing?

That is the one question to me is most important. KW talked about being fair, but I think, and perhaps incorrectly, LaRoche's status as a player had something to do with this.

Just want to point out that, typo not with standing, this is an impossibility and you should feel bad for even suggesting as such.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 05:18 AM)
Fathom is right.

At some point, religious discrimination or "persecution" is going to come into this eventually...whether it's an accusation via Twitter or a legal argument.

I was being sarcastic when I said that. It's not like LaRoche's beliefs weren't known before he signed here

Also if it was for those reasons, I'm confident in saying the whole team would have walked out

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 10:16 PM)
Especially when that agreement isn't built into his contract.

Yes, but it's not unlike the Rockies trading CarGo after telling Parra he would be around this season...or the Marlins throwing a fire sale after the Buehrle's committed to being there in Miami for 4 seasons.

They're not breaking an actual contract, but it's not the best way to go about conducting business if you become known for going back on your promises.

Obviously, the counterargument is that the reputation of the White Sox is still good enough to attract the likes of Rollins, Latos, Austin Jackson, etc.

What would be really interesting is to see how many other members of the team are in the Eaton/LaRoche/Kaplan camp...if it's at least 1/3rd of the team, not a good thing.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 10:20 PM)
I was being sarcastic when I said that. It's not like LaRoche's beliefs weren't known before he signed here

Also if it was for those reasons, I'm confident in saying the whole team would have walked out

Except it might be just ONE part of it...which we'll never know, of course.

Partly the reaction of players new to the team this year, partly about KW forcing the issue because of LaRoche's under-performance or perhaps Adam (theoretically) ignoring advice earlier in spring training to focus more on this season and his rehab, the increasing pressure on everyone to win this year and especially get off on the right foot out of the gate in April.

The most obvious point here is Hahn had apparently been trying all offseason to sell him to the highest bidder for quarters on the dollar.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 10:14 PM)
Doesn't this almost make LaRoche look worse? There was an agreement. Things can change. They had a discussion, apparently a week ago, and LaRoche continued to bring his son into the clubhouse every day. Another conversation is had, and LaRoche picks up his ball and goes home? Circumstances change in business every day.

Among the fans/general public it probably does. Not many would sympathesize with his issue and the alleged non-written, gentleman's agreement to have his son around.

However, I fear his teammates think differently and I believe Kaplan's tweet about players supporting him (notably Sale). It's an issue they have encountered for the last year and whether it was in his comtract or not probably means more to teammates who may have their own out-of-contract provisions.

I don't disagree with Williams creating a new policy. However, I HATE its timing and moreso that is becomes yet another typical White Sox distraction. I can't wait for it to be referenced later if the team is struggling. "Cracks began to show within the team in preseason when VP Kenny Williams broke an agreement with first baseman Adam Laroche......"

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 11:24 PM)
Yes, but it's not unlike the Rockies trading CarGo after telling Parra he would be around this season...or the Marlins throwing a fire sale after the Buehrle's committed to being there in Miami for 4 seasons.

They're not breaking an actual contract, but it's not the best way to go about conducting business if you become known for going back on your promises.

Obviously, the counterargument is that the reputation of the White Sox is still good enough to attract the likes of Rollins, Latos, Austin Jackson, etc.

What would be really interesting is to see how many other members of the team are in the Eaton/LaRoche/Kaplan camp...if it's at least 1/3rd of the team, not a good thing.

The thing us we don't know if there was an agreement about his kid allowed to always be there. We know it wasn't in his contract. The only person saying it's was verbal is Kaplan who seems to be in Laroche's corner. I would find it pretty hard to imagine that any team would say it's OK for players to have their kids around all the time which includes travel with the team.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 12:08 AM)
Although Scott Van Pelt just sided with the White Sox on ESPN, he started with "This is the 1 time in 10 that I think the White Sox are RIGHT".

Weird preface to his comments.

Did you hear what he said right off the bat? Something like "9 out of 10 times I am going to side with what is sentimental"

Bottom line Laroche wasn't told he couldn't have his kid in the clubhouse. People are acting like thats what happened but it didnt. He is there payed to play baseball. His kid being there or not shouldn't justify him to being able to play. If he can't handle stepping onto the field to preform with his son not in the dugout or in the clubhouse then there is a issue. It's not like he's going to another country to play baseball and won't see his kid in months. Might not be a good comparison but we have men and women who serve their country and have families that they leave all the time. They know they have to go and do their job. LaRoche is playing a sport but can't do it with out his kid so he quits. What is wrong with this picture. question raised is why is it a problem now. Something had to have changed since he signed and was allowed to have the kid this whole time with him before. Especially in the last week place since it was reported that Kenny had to talk to him twice about it. If this was an issue last year then why didnt the Sox say something before. Maybe they did but it was never reported. Something has to give.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer