Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
The Sox have a few high-profile players that speak/act first before thinking it through (I'm sure every team does).

the thing is, i voiced my opinions and this morning i made my final post on that matter.

but i was reading this thread, why, b/c the posters and all of them are really intelligent and i love to read opinions.

but this little snippet has me out rage. the gall of the players, who has it so easy, partly b/c the sox as an org believes in going out and making it easy and a great atmosphere. that is all JR's doing. but this little mutiny is a slap in the face against the org and us the fans.

maybe i am over reacting. but i am pissed.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 08:02 AM)
As an employment lawyer, I'll weigh in:

If he was promised that privilege, he would have the right to file a grievance over its breach to have it fulfilled. But the labor law maxim: "Work now, grieve later" applies. And even if that unwritten clause were insanely judged to be a "material" term or condition of employment, the law wouldn't allow him to unilaterally decide not to perform, but still collect pay for performing.

How long do the White Sox have to wait for an "official" retirement letter from LaRoche?

Do they have to allow him to come back if he "unretires"?

If they make a move for another DH and then LaRoche tries to come back again two weeks from now, does it go to a grievance or meeting with the MLB Players Union?

They can't really stop or block him from changing his mind again, can they? How long does LaRoche have to reconsider if the paperwork hasn't been filed with the league office?

There's a few pieces of the puzzle missing between Kenny's request to " dial it back " and LaRoche retiring over the matter. I think there were players that may have been uncomfortable with constantly watching their language and the content of their discussions as well as a few players may have wanted their kids around more often since LaRoche was able to do so with Drake which would put the FO in a most unenviable position. Of course I'm speculating but there's more to this than what's being reported.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)
the thing is, i voiced my opinions and this morning i made my final post on that matter.

but i was reading this thread, why, b/c the posters and all of them are really intelligent and i love to read opinions.

but this little snippet has me out rage. the gall of the players, who has it so easy, partly b/c the sox as an org believes in going out and making it easy and a great atmosphere. that is all JR's doing. but this little mutiny is a slap in the face against the org and us the fans.

maybe i am over reacting. but i am pissed.

They are supporting their teammate....not a shock. The fact it involves family makes it an even more hot topic. If LaRoche does confirm the retirement, I'm not sure what the next step is by the organization to settle things down.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
There's a few pieces of the puzzle missing between Kenny's request to " dial it back " and LaRoche retiring over the matter. I think there were players that may have been uncomfortable with constantly watching their language and the content of their discussions as well as a few players may have wanted their kids around more often since LaRoche was able to do so with Drake which would put the FO in a most unenviable position. Of course I'm speculating but there's more to this than what's being reported.

you make a point and a good one.

for this thread, does the org have the right to chg the rules or policy of their club, outiside the idea of it is not against the union / cba rules and policy????

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 09:16 AM)
They are supporting their teammate....not a shock. The fact it involves family makes it an even more hot topic. If LaRoche does confirm the retirement, I'm not sure what the next step is by the organization to settle things down.

I think it will blow over. It appears at least Eaton seems to think his decision is final.

The biggest black eye in all of this is a 14 year old is in the middle of it all. Whether you want to blame LaRoche for having him around, and making such an issue over it he walks away, or blame KW for bringing this up now, it being in the news does put some burden on the kid.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
you make a point and a good one.

for this thread, does the org have the right to chg the rules or policy of their club, outiside the idea of it is not against the union / cba rules and policy????

of course

This is about the team meeting they had:

Christopher Crawford ‏@CVCrawfordBP 59m59 minutes ago San Diego, CA

Karl Ravech was just on television saying the White Sox were willing to boycott their ST game over this Laroche situation. That's..something

http://www.businessinsider.com/white-sox-p...-laroche-2016-3

"This is a team that was not going to go out and practice," Ravech said. "And furthermore, this was a team that ultimately said to the manager 'we're not going to go out and play in that game at 1:00.' You had a team that was willing to stand by the player and not participate in practice, and moreso, not participate in an exhibition game."

The only thing that kept the players from boycotting was manager Robin Ventura who told that he needed them to play for him, that it was his job and it was their job. At that point, the players relented.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)

you are the voice of reasoning against my temper but that brings up another question, can the team rebound and continue on the magical good feelings that was coming from the team....

btw, maybe the word mutiny in my stance is a little too much, so substitute the word with a strike.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
you are the voice of reasoning against my temper but that brings up another question, can the team rebound and continue on the magical good feelings that was coming from the team....

btw, maybe the word mutiny in my stance is a little too much, so substitute the word with a strike.

Rumor is that they are going to win to spite Kenny Williams, as they have a poster of him and will rip off part of his clothing after each win.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)

Karl Ravech was just on television saying the White Sox were willing to boycott their ST game over this Laroche situation. That's..something

"This is a team that was not going to go out and practice," Ravech said. "And furthermore, this was a team that ultimately said to the manager 'we're not going to go out and play in that game at 1:00.' You had a team that was willing to stand by the player and not participate in practice, and moreso, not participate in an exhibition game."

I think it's awesome they supported their teammate and his son, but they do have a responsibility to prepare for the season and play the game.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)

The only thing that kept the players from boycotting was manager Robin Ventura who told that he needed them to play for him, that it was his job and it was their job. At that point, the players relented.

Thanks for posting, if what Ravech is saying is true, then Ventura just had his best moment as a Sox manager

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)
Rumor is that they are going to win to spite Kenny Williams, as they have a poster of him and will rip off part of his clothing after each win.

ahh major league ..... a great movie.

i needed that visual joke,

ugh... i just envision RV in a spadix bikini trunks.

not pretty.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)
To the people tweeting and re-tweeting anything with #Familyovereverything or #Familyfirst, that's code for "I'm an idiot looking for attention of how classy I am".

My company told me I cannot bring my kid to work so clearly I am a bad parent.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 07:52 AM)
I would bet there is a guy Drake LaRoche's age or younger around the Sox clubhouse 162 games this season even if LaRoche sticks with retiring. If it was so burdensome, why was this addressed in March of 2016, 13 months after this has been going on?

Dude, take a chill pill. You complain about everything - step away from the computer and have a beer!!

When's the last time an MLB team actually boycotted a spring training or regular season game for an "internal policy" reason? Wonder if the location of the game had anything to do with it...with a "home" game seemingly easier to blow off than one where they would have been the visitors and been even more liable for lost revenues to the other team?

Funny thing reading it, made me think back to the 1919 World Series with the Reds...nearly the whole team banding against Comiskey.

And it's spandex, haha. Although the actor who played "Lou Brown" in that movie has since died, if I remember correctly. Not sure about "Rachel."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)

Yes again the kid being there or not shouldn't deter Laroche or the players from playing. They are paid a crap load of money to play baseball. Most Americans leave their kids to go to work. How is LaRoche the exception to the rule.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
When's the last time an MLB team actually boycotted a spring training or regular season game for an "internal policy" reason?

Funny thing reading it, made me think back to the 1919 World Series with the Reds.

Spandex, haha.

i am sorry, i know i am old, but not that old,

i don't know the reference you are stating.