Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)
Yes again the kid being there or not shouldn't deter Laroche or the players from playing. They are paid a crap load of money to play baseball. Most Americans leave their kids to go to work. How is LaRoche the exception to the rule.

I still think part of the boycott was due to the schedule for stretching before the game being thrown off.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
you make a point and a good one.

for this thread, does the org have the right to chg the rules or policy of their club, outiside the idea of it is not against the union / cba rules and policy????

Imo, yes they have that right. The players aren't the ones that write the paychecks, the FO does. The players are employees, plain and simple.

This isn't as cut and dry as it appears on the surface. There's a stark contrast between asking a player to dial back the amount of time their son spends with the team and the player retiring because of it. The whole story has yet to be told.

My guess is LaRoche had two lockers at home and he let his son use one, the son was not given a locker.

If his son is traveling with the team and staying with the team when they are on the road, that seems very wrong to me

There seems to be no issue with the fact this kid was involved in almost every aspect of the team whether it was video assistance, working on drills, shagging fly balls...the whole nine yards. It seems like the Chicago White Sox bacame the care takers of this kid

Ultimately I think it was some players and coaches that had enough of it and brought he issue to Williams

I am sure all players bring someone to the park from time to time but this is something bigger. This kid was made a part of the organization and participated in things that siblings of players should not be involved in most notably on field drills. If I am an MLB player I do not want a 14 year old kid taking part in my drills. If I am the video guy I do not want a 14 year old kid sitting around me when I need to decide on whether to review a play....the White Sox seemed to have issues with this.

Indiscretions take place in the workplace especially while on the road and why should a 14 year old kid be part of my professional world place?

This is really a non-story. Laroche was wrong plan and simple. The whole thing seems a little creepy to me as well. Every kid dreams of being in the big leagues and this kid is living his dream so to speak but enough is enough.

Just want to throw this out there:

A lot of the clubhouse talk and distractions have revolved around them wanting to swear or be off the cuff.

It's probably also just a distraction in that a lot of these guys have kids and have a paternal instinct. They are probably instinctually keeping an eye on the kid and paying attention to making sure he's not bored in a way they wouldn't if he wasn't there.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
Rumor is that they are going to win to spite Kenny Williams, as they have a poster of him and will rip off part of his clothing after each win.

Ha ha, good one!

" win the whole f***ing' thing!"

With what so many professional athletes do on the road, it's amazing to me they'd ever want any particular kid so heavily involved in the clubhouse. It's one thing to know your teammates will keep their mouth shut, but it's another to trust a teenager to keep secrets.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 09:30 AM)
It does bear pointing out we acted here with the swiftness and decisiveness that mightve better been used when we faced a real threat of a situation, like with s***head Oney

But i do support what the Sox are doing here.

Yeah, I have no idea why Kenny would get the idea that having kids in the lockerroom could be a bad idea...

My philosophy is not to hate Sox players just because they perform badly. They have to do something stupid off the field. Well congrats to Adam Laroche. You've punched your ticket.

KW asked him to tone it down with the kid a week ago, he asked him again a couple days ago, so LaRoche quits, complains to all the idiots in his life that the Sox are persecuting him, and it leaks out. He has his stupid meat company retweeting #FamilyFirst nonsense as if the Sox told him he couldn't see his kid again for 8 months. THEY JUST TOLD YOU TO DIAL IT BACK, DUMMY.

Good riddance. He obviously didn't want to be a good player for this team. F*** off forever, dude.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
"He would've never signed with the White Sox had they not agreed that it was fine for Drake to be there. Someone either wasn't truthful or changed the rules."

bmags had the best theory on this earlier - the Sox didn't understand the depth of what they were getting into.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
My philosophy is not to hate Sox players just because they perform badly. They have to do something stupid off the field. Well congrats to Adam Laroche. You've punched your ticket.

KW asked him to tone it down with the kid a week ago, he asked him again a couple days ago, so LaRoche quits, complains to all the idiots in his life that the Sox are persecuting him, and it leaks out. He has his stupid meat company retweeting #FamilyFirst nonsense as if the Sox told him he couldn't see his kid again for 8 months. THEY JUST TOLD YOU TO DIAL IT BACK, DUMMY.

Good riddance. He obviously didn't want to be a good player for this team. F*** off forever, dude.

I completely 100% agree with this take on the situation.