Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
Also doesn't do errands, clean up and help out. It is strange the team reaction is so strong when this LaRoche kid was nothing but a pain in the ass. Why didn't you tell us what a nuisance Drake LaRoche was last season?

I think the issue is less about the kid and more about the fact that other members of the team didn't want him there. Unless it was Avi who complained, anyone else on the team was more useful than LaRoche last year and if he is bringing a distraction to the clubhouse on top of not performing, then something needs to change.

Saying you can bring your kid every now and again but not every day is completely fair. I run a kitchen and if one of my guys brought his kid back there so he could see how we cook they'd both be going home right away. What happens when Drake hurts himself shagging a fly ball and LaRoche thinks the Sox should pay for it? It's not good business.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
Also doesn't do errands, clean up and help out. It is strange the team reaction is so strong when this LaRoche kid was nothing but a pain in the ass. Why didn't you tell us what a nuisance Drake LaRoche was last season?

Why isn't everyone saying what an idiot Chris Sale is for being pissed off about it?

Another day, another Sale eruption. You can like an athlete without particularly caring for how they act in the media.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)

Why isn't everyone saying what an idiot Chris Sale is for being pissed off about it?

What don't you understand about this?? A kid can be an awesome kid and you still might not want him around while you're doing your job all the time. Clearly at least some players on the White Sox feel that way.

Frankly we've known Chris Sale is an idiot for quite some time.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
Banning and "toning it down" are the same thing as well. Point is things change with ballclubs/jobs and if you dont like it then fine, go somewhere else. Next time get it in writing. I would never accept someone's word for something in business.

He did go somewhere else.

Its not like he's suing them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
He did go somewhere else.

Its not like he's suing them.

No, but he started a war of public opinion with his hashtag activism, with his son who he loves so much at the center of the controversy.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
This is what's getting me the most. Are all of these athletes too stupid to understand gray areas? The guy can still see his f***ing son every day after work, like 99.9% of the people in the world with children and a job.
?

Is it the athletes misunderstanding their own industry, or the outsiders misunderstanding it?

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 11:59 AM)
I think the issue is less about the kid and more about the fact that other members of the team didn't want him there. Unless it was Avi who complained, anyone else on the team was more useful than LaRoche last year and if he is bringing a distraction to the clubhouse on top of not performing, then something needs to change.

I haven't found any evidence that other players in the clubhouse didn't want the kid there.

On the other hand, there is evidence that the players were all going to boycott a game to show their support for LaRoche.

It sounds like it was simply a front office decision made by Kenny to approach LaRoche and tell him to not have his son around so much for whatever reason. Maybe not making the playoffs in almost a decade had something to do with Kenny's thoughts on the matter!

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 11:03 AM)
No, but he started a war of public opinion with his hashtag activism, with his son who he loves so much at the center of the controversy.

And that shows the difference between claiming you're a good father and actually being a good father. A good father would say what he wants to say behind closed doors and keep his kid out of the controversy.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 10:03 AM)

It seems more like the actual players started this "war."

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)

Why are you still defending him?

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 06:05 PM)
And that shows the difference between claiming you're a good father and actually being a good father. A good father would say what he wants to say behind closed doors and keep his kid out of the controversy.

Sure seems like he's trying to take Kenny down with him. How about LaRoche retires, KW quits and all is well!!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)
?

Is it the athletes misunderstanding their own industry, or the outsiders misunderstanding it?

Most athletes don't have their children around constantly. This isn't some industry-wide thing.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 12:05 PM)

And to be fair, I don't think LaRoche wanted this to become the firestorm it has. I think he played the victim to his family and friends and it leaked through them to that Pittsburgh reporter yesterday. But he certainly hasn't done anything to calm it down and in fact seems to enjoy this persecution complex, judging by his company's twitter feed.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
I haven't found any evidence that other players in the clubhouse didn't want the kid there.

I guarantee you that Kenny didn't do this on his own. While he is prone to being an ass at times, he's smart enough to not trash his clubhouse's chemistry.

The only logical explanation for this is that some players went to management with complaints (or wanting similar access for their kids) and management decided to act. And he'll gladly fall on the sword for them because he's far-removed from the clubhouse.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
What don't you understand about this?? A kid can be an awesome kid and you still might not want him around while you're doing your job all the time. Clearly at least some players on the White Sox feel that way.

Frankly we've known Chris Sale is an idiot for quite some time.

It is not clear players have an issue with him. The facts seem to indicate the opposite.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 17, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
And to be fair, I don't think LaRoche wanted this to become the firestorm it has. I think he played the victim to his family and friends and it leaked through them to that Pittsburgh reporter yesterday.

Yeah, I agree with that.

But he certainly hasn't done anything to calm it down and in fact seems to enjoy this persecution complex, judging by his company's twitter feed.

And this is why I hope that he files his retirement paperwork this week. He's a cancer now and needs to go.