Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

One of the more frustrating things for me is that I'm losing respect for some guys, specifically Sale and Eaton. They are both young, and we all know Sale has a temper. And publicly, the players are backing LaRoche. That's fine, that's what they are supposed to do. I'm hoping that some of these new leaders (Frazier, Rollins, etc.) will talk to some of these younger guys and work to get this team unified.

It's interesting that the majority of the media is backing the Sox, and from what I can see it seems like many of the fans are backing the Sox. Folks like CM Punk and Chipper Jones blasting the Sox isn't necessarily helping LaRoche, who aside from his meat company's posts has been quiet.

As someone had mentioned before, if LaRoche decided to quit over this, he most likely has been looking for a reason to quit. He was terrible last year and seemed disengaged. He was supposed to be a leader in the clubhouse while supplying the Sox with a much needed left-handed power. Seems like he failed on both parts.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 07:13 AM)
well at least in my case, it's completely backfired and reinforced my opinion that the management of this team from top to bottom has been a s*** show for years and won't be improving any time soon.

I respect your opinion more than most...so I'd like to hear your opinion on how you would have liked to see management handle it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:04 AM)
Im saying that he can say what he wants, but there could be repercussions. Nobody is restricting his right to free speech though

I agree and what you're saying is pretty much what I'm getting at. Just to clarify...

Eaton has a right to speak freely on his Twitter account but he should know better than to speak publically on a team issue that has yet to be resolved. The issue is between LaRoche, KW and those players that potentially complained about it to KW. It would be smarter of Eaton to wait until LaRiche's decision is final and all the facts are out. That all I'm saying. :)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
I don't think Avila had anything to do with it. There are photos with Avila with his arm around him and Drake driving him around in a golf cart.

And even if they did, if they went to KW and KW said something to LaRoche and LaRoche said fine, I'll just go home, KW would say, on second thought, Drake is a fine boy. Seeing him every day is great.

I'll agree with you here. Of course the fact that he sucks has something to do with it. Kenny most likely thinks that he should be improving his game instead of playing with his son at work and he used veteran players complaining as a reason. I think both things are true though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
Your guess would be wrong. I said who it was yesterday. It's in the thread.

Definitely don't have time to go back through hundreds of posts to find it. Who was it and do you have a credible source or at least any reason for knowing?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
They "weaseled" out of their promise when veteran players complained. They told him it was fine last year and I agree there. The problem is, when new players on the team are bothered by it, the situation needs to be addressed. And it just was.

We can go through this all day again, but a deal is a deal. Ask JR with Horace Grant. Horace made a verbal deal with him and "things changed". JR questioned his character. A deal is a deal, even if it's a bad deal. If Hahn and Robin gave their word, KW needs to honor that, not succumb to the wishes of some guy here on a minor league contract.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
Definitely don't have time to go back through hundreds of posts to find it. Who was it and do you have a credible source or at least any reason for knowing?

Rollins. Yes I have a credible source in this case. 670 mentioned it multiple times yesterday. A group of players went to KW. The group included Jimmy Rollins. And it makes complete sense.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
We can go through this all day again, but a deal is a deal. Ask JR with Horace Grant. Horace made a verbal deal with him and "things changed". JR questioned his character. A deal is a deal, even if it's a bad deal. If Hahn and Robin gave their word, KW needs to honor that, not succumb to the wishes of some guy here on a minor league contract.

And hypothetically if every new player had a problem with it (just for argument's sake), should the Sox accommodate one player over the wishes of a dozen? Even if they had a deal it's not like they banned Drake from the clubhouse outright.

Heres that if that youve been using as the base for your whole argument for 2 days that still hasnt been even remotely confirmed by anyone credible. At this point, if this isnt WRITTEN in his contract he needs to stfu and good riddance.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:00 AM)
i know, you are more diplomatic than i. the main quantifier of this whole thing, this was a group of so called boys club and their immaturity and now it might harm the success of the club.

just b/c they are so-called adults, per their age says so, they acted like little immature spoiled kids.

The " boys club " , as I understand it according to Rock, comes from those that do not want to have to watch what they say or how they say it because there is a kid around all the time. This, I agree with. It's a locker room, not a romper room.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
I respect your opinion more than most...so I'd like to hear your opinion on how you would have liked to see management handle it.

Beyond steve's summary I haven't paid attention to this situation much at all, but from the headlines-view it just seems like another symptom of poor management and poor leadership. This is definitely a hot take though so don't put too much weight on it.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
Who says??? You just found a father who pulled his kid out of school ( and actually normal life) for over a month so he can follow him around. There is probably another one who wants his daughter to do the same.

I can't find it now but I did read a quote from Adam LaRouche himself that said he was a little upset that he couldn't bring his daughter with like he does his son.

And once again, you are making the enormous leap that you have all of the intimate details of that deal.

Do you know for a fact the deal included him being able to have his son there 100% of the time, regardless of how the other members of the team felt?

If you do, I will drop this argument and move on for good.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)

so as i see it, the deal was honored. he had unfettered access to the sox ST facility.

now come the little fine print. was this a 24/7 access???

no one knows this.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:28 AM)
And hypothetically if every new player had a problem with it (just for argument's sake), should the Sox accommodate one player over the wishes of a dozen? Even if they had a deal it's not like they banned Drake from the clubhouse outright.

Yes. It seems to work that way with money. I'm sure there are more than a dozen players who would like more money,but the Sox can't give them more because they are giving John Danks $15 million. and it also seems at least the majority of players had no problem with this kid. It still hasn't come out that the kid did anything to bother anyone.

And I still don't understand the it's OK if he's here 3 days a week. People who are bothered by his being there all the time, will be bothered by his being there 3 days a week.

Maybe the Sox should ask guys who have sucked to rip up there contracts and play for less. Things change. Teams and players shouldn't be held to their commitments.

Sale's contract is ridiculously team friendly. Things change. The White Sox should rip it up immediately and either give him what he deserves or let him become a free agent.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)
This whole scene is just further proof the Sox are a bad organization now, and have been for a long time. There's a lack of leadership, expectations, and communication. It starts at the very top.

This is hard to argue with.

And it starts at the top with JR. Just too many similarities with the Bulls. Just replace Paxon with Williams and the similarities are way too much to ignore.

At times, it can be really hard to like this team.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:32 AM)
Beyond steve's summary I haven't paid attention to this situation much at all, but from the headlines-view it just seems like another symptom of poor management and poor leadership. This is definitely a hot take though so don't put too much weight on it.

The problem is you are only reading headlines that are meant to be sensationalist.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:30 AM)
Heres that if that youve been using as the base for your whole argument for 2 days that still hasnt been even remotely confirmed by anyone credible. At this point, if this isnt WRITTEN in his contract he needs to stfu and good riddance.

I think everyone can agree that there was some sort of verbal agreement between Adam and management. The speculation is exactly *what* was stated in that agreement.

According to KW, what was verbally agreed upon and what was actually happening in reality were two very different things. I can't believe there was anything in the agreement that allowed the kid to be anywhere and everywhere 24/7 which is apparently what was happening and a point DA keeps missing for some reason.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 03:31 PM)
The " boys club " , as I understand it according to Rock, comes from those that do not want to have to watch what they say or how they say it because there is a kid around all the time. This, I agree with. It's a locker room, not a romper room.

well said.

:headbang

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
Yes. It seems to work that way with money. I'm sure there are more than a dozen players who would like more money, and it also seems at least the majority of players had no problem with this kid. It still hasn't come out that the kid did anything to bother anyone.

And I still don't understand the it's OK if he's here 3 days a week. People who are bothered by his being there all the time, will be bothered by his being there 3 days a week.

The kid doesn't have to be an asshole for the other players to not feel comfortable having him constantly around.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
so as i see it, the deal was honored. he had unfettered access to the sox ST facility.

now come the little fine print. was this a 24/7 access???

no one knows this.

Except for David Kaplan.