Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
Why don't the Sox compromise with Chris Sale and rip up his contract and give him one he deserves?

I'm pretty sure that situation has actually happened with other players on other teams. The Sox absolutely have that right and I don't think anyone would complain if they did.

I don't see how that helps your argument though...

So if you're the Sox and you did make this agreement with LaRoche, isn't it better you realize the error in your letting it go to this extreme and correcting course NOW, before the season actually starts...rather than having it negatively affect clubhouse chemistry and linger on into the season with the new, largely veteran players?

This team was designed to WIN NOW. And especially in this two year window that has been created by the way most of the new guys have been signed.

The argument's certainly out there (and Passan made it as well) that it doesn't look good to go back on your agreement...but the problem is nobody knows the exact phrasing of that agreement other than Hahn/LaRoche and KW/JR, so everything since has been simply interpretations of the "reasonableness" and parameters of such.

If guys like Eaton and Sale are so unhappy with KW and the way the White Sox handled this, they better think long and hard about their future with the organization. It's one thing to disagree with your boss in a way that's clearly unprofessional, it's quite another to make it the business of everyone in the outside world when having that discussion merely serves to cause the problems to linger or fester.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
The link is in this thread.

There are 1700 posts in the thread. And not one of them shows me a source that says his son was to have 100% access, and it was an unflinching agreement, regardless of an ever changing environment.

The only evidence I have seen is it being confirmed that this is not a stipulation in his written contract, because it is an absurd request, and if it was that important to him, I'm talking retire from one of the most lucrative and sought after jobs in the world important, it should have been in his contract.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
I definitely loved this story a whole lot more when we didn't know anything and assumed he was retiring because he knew he couldn't contribute because of his back.

Same here. I didn't believe the stuff coming out of Florida at first but boy was I wrong. Everyone is going to come out of this stinking like manure.

So if you're the Sox and you did make this agreement with LaRoche, isn't it better you realize the error in your letting it go to this extreme and correcting course NOW, before the season actually starts...rather than having it negatively affect clubhouse chemistry and linger on into the season with the new, largely veteran players?

This team was designed to WIN NOW. And especially in this two year window that has been created by the way most of the new guys have been signed.

The argument's certainly out there (and Passan made it as well) that it doesn't look good to go back on your agreement...but the problem is nobody knows the exact phrasing of that agreement other than Hahn/LaRoche and KW/JR, so everything since has been simply interpretations of the "reasonableness" and parameters of such.

If guys like Eaton and Sale are so unhappy with KW and the way the White Sox handled this, they better think long and hard about their future with the organization. It's one thing to disagree with your boss in a way that's clearly unprofessional, it's quite another to make it the business of everyone in the outside world when having that discussion merely serves to cause the problems to linger or fester.

QUOTE (shakes @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
There are 1700 posts in the thread. And not one of them shows me a source that says his son was to have 100% access, and it was an unflinching agreement, regardless of an ever changing environment.

David Kaplan!!!

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
Kill me now

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 28s28 seconds ago

Chris Sale has. Adam LaRoche and Drake LaRoche uniforms hanging in his Whitesox locker

Oh god. I wonder what Jimmy Rollins thinks of that

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
Maybe legally, but not morally. JR held a press conference after Horace Grant went back on a verbal agreement. He said he lacked character.

We still have no idea exactly what was verbally agreed upon. All we know is that KW believes that LaRouche went above and beyond what was agreed.

The kid has his own locker at home and on the road, with his own name on it. I'm on the side of: there was a verbal agreement of some sort. In the business world, your word is good as gold. Companies that break verbal promises don't survive long. He should have never been allowed in in the first place.

Edited by Hatchetman

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
I don't think the Sox acted wrong (with the exception of any promises they may or may not have made prior to signing Adam as those really aren't promises that you can / should make to a player as the clubhouse is dynamic and belongs to the player). I'd also say allowing for that probably isn't a wise decision anyway as there is a time and a place for family and there is a time and a place to be professional and have that closed clubhouse. I also don't have any issue with LaRoche retiring, he's 100% entitled to it. I don't think he should drag it through the media, but I don't necessarily think he did. I think others had an issue with it and some players on the club were clearly tight with him and Duke and have made it an issue. I'd argue it is admirable for them to stick up, but also looking at the guys who are sticking up, they tend to be the more over-reactionary hot-heads vs. the true leaders.

I agree that LaRoche did not want this to leak but his silence has been deafening. He could have released a statement to calm things down a long time ago. Something like, "We had a disagreement, I chose to go my separate ways, I respect the organization and my ex-teammates." That's it. Even if he doesn't respect the organization, that's what people do. Instead all we have are the piles and piles of retweets coming from his meat company. And if you think that twitter feed doesn't represent his voice you are kidding yourself.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
There's a huge difference between a written, legally binding contract and an off-the-record gentleman's agreement that may or may not have been made.

Thank you.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
Just trade him before he blows his elbow out. Haven't won crap with him here anyways.

Seriously, cash out now. So much for last year's "clubhouse leaders". No wonder the team was in shambles.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)
I agree that LaRoche did not want this to leak but his silence has been deafening. He could have released a statement to calm things down a long time ago. Something like, "We had a disagreement, I chose to go my separate ways, I respect the organization and my ex-teammates." That's it. Even if he doesn't respect the organization, that's what people do. Instead all we have are the piles and piles of retweets coming from his meat company. And if you think that twitter feed doesn't represent his voice you are kidding yourself.

He's absolutely making himself out to be a martyr

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
If/when Sale leaves, he's absolutely the type of player that will go to the media and light this organization up. I'm not saying he will be right, but it will happen.

And the thing is, he has no idea what a good major league clubhouse is like. He's been around a country club for six years, so now that they want to dig in a little, he throws a fit.

I guess I just don't understand Sale's motivation for taking a stand against KW and/or the Sox as an organization because of this debacle.

LaRoche might be a good guy and his friend, but Sale has stated numerous times that he would do anything to win. Having LaRoche on the team would only hinder those chances.

I guess I'm missing something, but bringing back LaRoche at this point doesn't help Sale or the Sox at all in regards to staying competitive and winning.