Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
Morneau played 40 games with the Twins in AJ's last season there, 2003. Maybe from Spring Training there's something, but that's a lot of hate for a guy from a short amount of time in ST.

I didn't look up that part of it but opponents hated AJ anyway. And Ozzie was always flapping his lips though mostly respectfully with the piranha stuff.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
The White Sox are running out of punching bags. Danks, Avi, maybe Melky. I wonder which new ones will emerge.

I know it's kind of silly but this was my thought. This board is really going to go after Avi this year without LaRoche around.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 03:27 PM)
raBBit also pointed out Daniel Vogelbach, Jonathan Singleton, Oswaldo Arcia, and Jesus Montero as potential fits.

Would love Vogelbach, except he's not major league ready. Like a year off. Need something more immediate.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
Maybe it's time to see if Davidson can take advantage of an opportunity?

He's been over 30% K/PA for two straight seasons at AAA, hitting around .200. He'd be a disaster in the majors right now. I'd rather have Wilkins, or Black, or Ishikawa, or heck even Danny Hayes than Davidson for this particular role right now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 09:44 PM)
Adam LaRoche ‏@e3laroche 5m5 minutes ago

Thank u Lord for the game of baseball and for giving me way more than I ever deserved!

#FamilyFirst

if this is true and he does goes thru with it, this team is getting better .... by the days.

I'd like to see the Sox check in on Singleton or Valbuena from Houston. It wouldn't surprise me if Houston is more than willing to part with Singleton since the Astros have AJ Reed fast tracking through Houston's farm system.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
With the 'found money' if Laroche is truly done, maybe now we can swing a deal for CarGO that doesn't include Anderson or Fulmer. The extra money in theory lets us take on more of his contract, and thus offer less quality prospects.

I'd rather pursue that then Morneau or Bruce...

Josh Reddick, please.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
Whether that will actually matter when there's money on the table I don't know. Much easier to hold onto a rivalry when none of your money is on the table.

One more version of it from 06:

Eh. Seems pretty slight, and it is something from 5 years ago. Things have changed a lot since then. Morneau would rather sit out than sign with the White Sox?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
I know it's kind of silly but this was my thought. This board is really going to go after Avi this year without LaRoche around.

You aren't kidding! It's not just this board either. Fans boo'd Avi at SoxFest and if LaRoche indeed retires, all eyes will be on Avi more than anyone else.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)
You aren't kidding! It's not just this board either. Fans boo'd Avi at SoxFest and if LaRoche indeed retires, all eyes will be on Avi more than anyone else.

Given LaRoche's salary, he was way more deserving of the booing. (And even then, only meatballs boo players at such events.)

Wish him and his family the best. It was time for him to leave on his own terms instead of possibly being let go at some point.

Yes it takes a lot of stones to walk away from 13 million but also remember he played in the majors for over a decade and I think he's probably not hurting financially with or without that money.

What is interesting now is, are the Sox more likely to try to take on a Gonzales or a Bruce or an Either since they have more additional funds?

Mark

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 15, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)

Avi deserved all of the criticism for his lack of offensive and defensive baseball skills. However, having one less teammate in the suck only helps Garcia. It makes his struggles, while annoying, less of an impact if most everyone around him in the lineup is doing well

If there are no substantial "personal issues" to come out for being the reason that he retired this is just going to be the weirdest retirement ever. As if this off- season couldnt get any more strange. LOL