Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)
Well, that and because he never once mentioned his son battling an illness during his first year with the Sox and that would have been an understandable excuse in my book. He went out, tried to do his job while getting left out to dry by Ozzie, got booed and came back the next year with an All-Star season.

I'm glad you mentioned Dunn. People can say what they like about Dunn but he handled adversity very well. No complaints or excuses, just continued to give his best effort. Regardless of the outcome, he was very professional in the way he carried himself.

As for LaRoche. Not sure what to think right now but it's sad that things ended the way they did regardless of who(m) is to blame. It's a shame that an innocent 14 year old boy had to go through this debacle. Hopefully everyone eventually learns something from this mess and becomes better for it.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 05:40 PM)
It's a shame that an innocent 14 year old boy had to go through this debacle. Hopefully everyone eventually learns something from this mess and becomes better for it.

Drake LaRoche will have the last laugh when Kenny Williams Jr., assistant scout to the President of Operations, tries to draft and sign him in the first round of the 2023 amateur player draft...either that or he'll be putting his Sylvan diploma to use as CEO of Roachy Meats

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)
Haven't listened yet, but oh boy...

http://www.mighty1090.com/episode/ken-hawk...kenny-williams/

edit: I thought this would be more negative toward KW, but it's just more typical Hawk stuff.

Yep. Can't say I buy the bit about KW doing this to "galvanize " the team. According to all the reports prior to this mess, the team was galvanizing already. If this was indeed done by design, it was done to save the 13M and nothing more. The fact that the Sox were shopping LaRoche over the winter could support that conspiracy theory. Not saying I buy into that theory and to be honest I really don't know what to believe right now but this was not done to galvanize the team.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 05:53 PM)
Drake LaRoche will have the last laugh when Kenny Williams Jr., assistant scout to the President of Operations, tries to draft and sign him in the first round of the 2023 amateur player draft...either that or he'll be putting his Sylvan diploma to use as CEO of Roachy Meats

I would laugh hysterically if that's how things turned out. Heck, it could happen in 2020 after Drake finishes what would be the Sylvan equivalent of his senior year in HS.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
So KW may be gone and they save $13M.....this story just keeps getting better.

^^^ Indeed. Someone pinch me, I must be dreaming .....

If KW is lying as much as a couple players claim, he should be canned, but he won't. They will just sweep it under the rug. If JR doesn't have a press release that rivals the Thibs hatchet job last summer slamming LaRoche, it is pretty obvious who was in the wrong.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 06:24 PM)
It wouldn't be the worst thing if this all ended with LaRoche retired, KW sent packing, and $13M for Hahn & Co. to spend on someone else.

That scenario would be 3/3.

While I agree with the Sox position on this, it's another Williams dog and pony show. He shouldn't have even been involved in this. He won't let people do their jobs. But Robin was hired to be his puppet manager...maybe it worked out well as now Williams is the heavy and the clubhouse may be okay.

The place should be cleaned out after last year, if not before, but Williams needs to move along.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 12:27 AM)
Logic tells me what we thought all along that Williams was simply falling on the sword for a number of people in the organization that didn't have the stones to make a fuss. However, the Sox clearly are not capable of pulling off something like with any sort of grace. It was totally botched.

And who knows now if it becomes a witch hunt in the clubhouse by Sale and others to see who complained.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 12:31 AM)
If they want to handle this the right way, they can have at it, but we should never hear about it. Let this die publicly.

Yep, if Sale keeps going off about it the next few weeks, I have no problem with them looking to trade him (as long as it's not to the Cubs) :)

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 01:32 AM)
Yep, if Sale keeps going off about it the next few weeks, I have no problem with them looking to trade him (as long as it's not to the Cubs) :)

if this was me, i would trade him to one of the nl central teams to compete against the sCrubs or to nl east team to boost their pen to win.

lastly i would really think to trade him to the padres and bury him on a lousy team.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)
Logic tells me what we thought all along that Williams was simply falling on the sword for a number of people in the organization that didn't have the stones to make a fuss. However, the Sox clearly are not capable of pulling off something like with any sort of grace. It was totally botched.

Absolutely. It's remarkable how much this has snowballed over the last few days. It was handled very piss poor on all fronts (players/management/media). If the Sox had gotten complaints about Drake stemming all the way back to last season, why wouldn't they have addressed this in the offseason before ST? I really do believe what happened was a few players and coaches were uncomfortable by his constant presence and finally had the courage to speak up. Handing the responsibility of dealing with this to KW was a bad move though. The guy's an egomaniac who expects everyone to accept his ultimatums. Based on Sale's comments there is a very large group of players in that clubhouse that truly did not like KW even before this started.

Does anyone find it ironic that the two most outspoken players on this issue are also the two that signed very team friendly deals? Who knows if any promises were made to Sale or Eaton behind closed doors during negotiations. None of us can really say we understand the business side of things. The Sox failing to follow through with a handshake deal could worry and affect many of the players that may have specific requests themselves. A lot of the outbursts could be partial subconscious reactions to their own situations.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2016 -> 12:43 AM)
Nightingales story confirms La Roche wasn't lying.

Well, he was lying that he would address it if there were any issues brought to his attention. Also sounds like KW might have changed the rules he agreed upon with Ventura/Hahn prior to the first meeting with LaRoche when he was angry, and that's what caused the rift with those guys. This has gone from a situation where neither LaRoche or KW was wrong to one where both were wrong.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)
Haven't listened yet, but oh boy...

http://www.mighty1090.com/episode/ken-hawk...kenny-williams/

edit: I thought this would be more negative toward KW, but it's just more typical Hawk stuff.

Hawk with The KW theory. Here;s mine dded to it.

I know that I am wayyyy out in left field, but was just wondering. Since they tried to trade LaRoche and failed, do you think that there is even a smidgen of a possibility that all of this is from JR to get rid of LaRoche and it is KW taking the brunt to cover for him? I mean they do have their staff meetings. Any possibility that JR stressed the fact that after the fiasco last year and thus year having back issues, that JR may have implicated in their meetings.Enough is enough. Do what you have to do. I may be wayyyy offf, but who knows if KW did what he did the way that he did because he feels pressure from upstairs. we may NEVER know what really happened

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 18, 2016 -> 07:47 PM)
Well, he was lying that he would address it if there were any issues brought to his attention.

No. Read his statement. He Sid if a teammate or manager came to him he would deal with it since the clubhouse is their office. It wasn't KW's . Did KW tell him a teammate or coach had a problem or did he just say there was a problem? And why did KW leave the whole entir ban out of his story. I think KW feeds Nightengale info and that falls in perfectly with Sales complaints about KW not being able to keep his story straight. Telling the players it was the coaches, thellimg the coaches it was the players and finally telling everyone it was JR.