Opening Day Roster Prediction

ScootsMcGoots

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 09:00 PM)
RF Eaton, SS Rollins, 1B Abreu, 3B Frazier, LF Cabrera, DH Ishikawa, 2B Lawrie, C Avila, CF Jackson

Bench: OF Garcia, INF Saladino, C Navarro, OF Shuck

Rotation: Sale, Quintana, Rodon, Latos Danks

Bullpen: Robertson, Jones, Duke, Putnam, Jennings, Petricka, Albers

Oh for the love of god Ishikawa betteer not be the starting DH on opening day.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 11:49 PM)
Also, I'm still a bit worried about our outfield defense. If we DH Garcia, then that still leaves Melky in LF and Eaton playing RF. We can't really know how he'll adjust

It would take a whole new level of suck for Eaton to even touch Avi or Melky. He can be Pods out there (at either position) and it would be a tremendous upgrade.

vs. RH

Eaton

Rollins

Abreu

Frazier

Cabrera

Ishikawa

Lawrie

Avila

Jackson

vs. LH

Eaton

Rollins

Abreu

Frazier

Cabrera

Lawrie

Garcia

Navarro

Jackson

Rotation

Sale, Quintana, Rodon, Latos, Danks

Bullpen

Albers, Petricka, Duke, Jennings, Putnam, Jones, Robertson

Bench

Avila/Navarro, Ishikawa/Garcia, Saladino, Shuck

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
I don't get the fascination with Ishikawa at all. No way should he be your DH and batting 6th to start the season.

Ishikawa is a 32 year old journeyman with a .727 OPS and 95 wRC+ vs RHP in his career. He's not very good.

I don't get the fascination with Ishikawa at all. No way should he be your DH and batting 6th to start the season.

I think you're confusing fascination with "the best option we have against RHP at DH". It's clearly a big need right now.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 11:21 AM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 54s55 seconds ago

Roster cuts today. Not official but Davidson, Carlos Sanchez, Leury Garcia, Kahnle, Coats appear to be among them.

I would imagine that all 5 will be in Charlotte.

You're absolutely right. But unless the Sox make a trade or sign a Venable or Murphy, it's what they have.

If LaRoche hadn't quit, he'd be your opening day DH and batting 6th. Would that be any better based on last year's performance?

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 11:21 AM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 54s55 seconds ago

Roster cuts today. Not official but Davidson, Carlos Sanchez, Leury Garcia, Kahnle, Coats appear to be among them.

Seems like a bench of Shuck, Saladino, Navarro, and Ishikawa. Only questions now are whether Sands or Turner make it through waivers to Charlotte. I expect Aumont in the Charlotte bullpen as well.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
You're absolutely right. But unless the Sox make a trade or sign a Venable or Murphy, it's what they have.

If LaRoche hadn't quit, he'd be your opening day DH and batting 6th. Would that be any better based on last year's performance?

As bad as LaRoche was last year, he was basically as good Ishikawa has been in his career against RHP. Even with just a moderate rebound, he'd have been the far better option this year. I hate saying this, but losing LaRochs actually hurts us if we don't go out and sign or trade for a left-handed bat to figure into the DH mix.

I don't get the fascination with Rollins. I mean, he deserves to make the team, but I still think Saladino is the better player. That aside, it looks as though Rollins will be our #2 hitter? I'd much rather have Melky or even Austin Jackson there than a guy who hit worse than Saladino and Flowers last year.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
I don't get the fascination with Rollins. I mean, he deserves to make the team, but I still think Saladino is the better player. That aside, it looks as though Rollins will be our #2 hitter? I'd much rather have Melky or even Austin Jackson there than a guy who hit worse than Saladino and Flowers last year.

How do you figure that Rollins hit worse than Saladino/Flowers last year?

Both Rollins and Saladino hit awful last year, and have hit great this spring.

I do think that the TEAM is better with Saladino able to fill in all over the infield versus Rollins doing the same.

I also think that this team lacking a true #2 hitter, probably see Rollins as the closest thing to it on this roster. Ideally Rollins would hit 9th, but because they don't really have a guy for the 2 hole, Rollins gets it by default. Melky was pretty bad in the 2 slot last year, and I think they want him hitting down the line up a bit. Jackson also screams out to me as a 6 or 7 hole type of hitter.

I assume you are saying that Saladino had a higher batting average than Rollins last year right? Because Rollins had a fairly significantly higher OPS.

Saladino hit for a .2245 average last year while Rollins managed a meager .2243. A difference of .0002, or roughly 1 hit in every 5000 at bats. But yeah, let's give him the starting job because of it over Rollins who is a former MVP out to prove himself again and is looking revitalized this spring.

I don't get your fascination with batting average, it's one of the worst stats to judge hitters, especially on its own.

Edited by OmarComing25

I'm rolling with Rollins because although I put very little stock in "clubhouse leadership" it's clear that he has helped shake some thing up in that clubhouse and it was much needed. Saladino isn't some can't miss talent that is being benched he's just another guy that could possibly turn into a decent starter. Rollins is probably a decent starter as long as he gets plenty of rest, and Saladino will get plenty of chances to steal playing time.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
I assume you are saying that Saladino had a higher batting average than Rollins last year right? Because Rollins had a fairly significantly higher OPS.

Saladino hit for a .2245 average last year while Rollins managed a meager .2243. A difference of .0002, or roughly 1 hit in every 5000 at bats. But yeah, let's give him the starting job because of it over Rollins who is a former MVP out to prove himself again and is looking revitalized this spring.

Saladino is out to prove himself as well, so that point is moot.

Looking revitalized this spring? So is Matt Davidson... spring training stats don't matter.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 29, 2016 -> 01:49 PM)
The main reason I prefer Saladino to Rollins is defense. Not that Rollins is bad defensively, but Saladino is just elite in that regard

Would rather be running Rollins in my opinion then saladino. Saladino is better defensively but sox need every ounce of offense as much as possible. Rollins has done it in the past. He's a veteran and has ton of experience. If Rollins can't cut it then you have you have saladino to back him up.