3/28 S/T vs. Rockies

Dunt

Let's go over the final spot with Saldino, Shuck, and backup C being 3 of the bench spots.

Sanchez- Great defense, average offense

Sands- Worse than Avi in the OF, pretty good stick

Ishikawa- LH bat, plays 1B, has had a good spring

Davidson- Mashing this spring, but can it continue? Pretty good defense at 3B, can he play 1B?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)
And worth a 40 man roster spot (Davidson, Sands, and Sanchez already on the 40 man). Rollins will get one too.

Are you saying Travis Ishikawa would force us to add him to the 40 man?

I think we are set with having Avi being the DH so that last spot is such a toss up right now. I wouldn't mind giving Davidson a chance but if he isn't really going to get a chance to hit much we might as well have him start in AAA.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 04:53 PM)
Are you saying Travis Ishikawa would force us to add him to the 40 man?

I think we are set with having Avi being the DH so that last spot is such a toss up right now. I wouldn't mind giving Davidson a chance but if he isn't really going to get a chance to hit much we might as well have him start in AAA.

Yes, as Ishikawa isn't on the 40 man roster right now. I can't remember if the 40 man is at 38 or 39 right now, but one of those spots is for sure going to be Rollins.

I wouldn't mind giving Davidson a chance at the everyday DH spot as well. Could also spot in the field for Frazier or Abreu (move Frazier to 1B)

Also, Sanchez has 2 dingers today.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 04:58 PM)
Yes, as Ishikawa isn't on the 40 man roster right now. I can't remember if the 40 man is at 38 or 39 right now, but one of those spots is for sure going to be Rollins.

I wouldn't mind giving Davidson a chance at the everyday DH spot as well. Could also spot in the field for Frazier or Abreu (move Frazier to 1B)

Also, Sanchez has 2 dingers today.

37, but we all know Collins will be #38.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)
Let's go over the final spot with Saldino, Shuck, and backup C being 3 of the bench spots.

Sanchez- Great defense, average offense

Sands- Worse than Avi in the OF, pretty good stick

Ishikawa- LH bat, plays 1B, has had a good spring

Davidson- Mashing this spring, but can it continue? Pretty good defense at 3B, can he play 1B?

While I haven't seen Sands play this spring, I find it hard to believe he's a worse defender than Avi.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 06:53 PM)
Feel a little sorry for Saladino not being the starter, as well as Sanchez and Davidson...but it's nice to have some organizational depth in case of injury. Hope they all make the most of their opportunities.

And we'll need Saladino this year and probably Sanchez next year. and if Davidson can really hit, him too. Hope they have make great progress in AAA.

And heck, maybe Saladino starts.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 07:10 PM)
That's a ridiculous rationale.

Well he's having a good spring. Why not bring him up to DH? He said when he first came here and didn't make the team it messed him up. He seems to have confidence right now. I hope it doesn't destroy it. That's my rationale.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 06:29 PM)
Well he's having a good spring. Why not bring him up to DH? He said when he first came here and didn't make the team it messed him up. He seems to have confidence right now. I hope it doesn't destroy it. That's my rationale.

It's really great seeing Davidson hitting like he is. Just hope and pray he found something that propels him to stardom. That would be huge for the Sox . Would make Frazier trade bait for some nice assets . We all know what Ishikawa is at this point in his career .

I don't exactly know who to want to make the team, If Davidson makes it , how often does he play ? He has to go down and prove all this mashing isn't just a mirage. But I surely don't want Ishikawa on the team . There's just not a lot of upside with him.

Carlos Sanchez has been an extra base machine this spring. Again gives me hope that at some point he can be a pretty good little hitter and make Lawrie expendable. Davidson and Sanchez become long term ( cheap )pieces while the 2 year guys , Frazier and Lawrie can be turned into either major or minor league pieces.

Ha so much hope in spring. It's embarrassing I still think this way . But it's why baseball is my favorite sport .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 08:03 PM)
It's really great seeing Davidson hitting like he is. Just hope and pray he found something that propels him to stardom. That would be huge for the Sox . Would make Frazier trade bait for some nice assets . We all know what Ishikawa is at this point in his career .

I don't exactly know who to want to make the team, If Davidson makes it , how often does he play ? He has to go down and prove all this mashing isn't just a mirage. But I surely don't want Ishikawa on the team . There's just not a lot of upside with him.

Carlos Sanchez has been an extra base machine this spring. Again gives me hope that at some point he can be a pretty good little hitter and make Lawrie expendable. Davidson and Sanchez become long term ( cheap )pieces while the 2 year guys , Frazier and Lawrie can be turned into either major or minor league pieces.

Ha so much hope in spring. It's embarrassing I still think this way . But it's why baseball is my favorite sport .

I agree. I'd like to see Davidson up DHing and see how he does since we know what Ishikawa is. Davidson has some confidence back and I'd like to keep it that way.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 08:29 PM)

Avi is pretty much your dh first now. Playing Melky, Jackson and eaton in outfield improves defense. Dan hayes says avi will get alot of at bats and that's probably at dh. If Davidson can't get consistent at bats then he needs to be in minors showing he's progressed. If Avi doesn't get the job done everything then bring up Davidson

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Mar 28, 2016 -> 08:10 PM)
I agree. I'd like to see Davidson up DHing and see how he does since we know what Ishikawa is. Davidson has some confidence back and I'd like to keep it that way.

Dude, if Davidson is the headcase you make him out to be, then he's all but doomed when he finally gets an opportunity at the major league level and struggles. The guy has to put together a successful couple months in the International League before I consider for an everyday role with the Sox.

Furthermore, we already have a guy in Avi Garcia who has shown some ability to hit major league pitching. No doubt we should add a left-handed bat to at least split playing time with him if not serve as his platoon partner. But if we can't land said player before opening day, then I'm going with the guy at DH who has put up 90+ wRC+ at the major league level vs. the guy coming off two seasons with 30% K rates in AAA. This overreacting to spring numbers has gotten out of control.