Last man on the roster is down to...

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 06:48 PM)
another thought is with the 3 open 40 man spots, the Sox are looking to do some dumpster diving off of other teams cuts.

Don't you just love the last few days before the opening game???!!!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
Travis Ishikawa

Jerry Sands

Jacob May

Hector Sanchez

Phillippe Aumont

Who had that at the beginning of March?

LaRoche fiasco made it realistic.

I also vote Sanchez giving Navarro/Avila DH at bats along with Garcia and Melky. Sands is redundant with Garcia around (unless one platoons with Melky?) and Ishikawa isn't good.

Travis Ishikawa

Jerry Sands

Jacob May

Hector Sanchez

Phillippe Aumont

Who had that at the beginning of March?

Teams always carry a 3rd catcher right up until the final cuts. I'm pretty sure everybody, includes Hector, knows that he's not really in the running for the last spot. Robin also said that the OD roster is not going to have 13 pitchers, so Aumont is in the same boat. It's really down to Ishikawa, Sands and May, and I really doubt it's May.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 10:35 PM)
Teams always carry a 3rd catcher right up until the final cuts. I'm pretty sure everybody, includes Hector, knows that he's not really in the running for the last spot. Robin also said that the OD roster is not going to have 13 pitchers, so Aumont is in the same boat. It's really down to Ishikawa, Sands and May, and I really doubt it's May.

The thing with Aumont is that he has impressed and given up nothing in spring and could force out someone like Putnam who could get optioned to Charlotte in favour of Aumont.

Hector and May should get sent down, although the speed of May must give them pause for thought for having that late inning baserunning threat.

I have this suspicion that Ishikawa is going to get the job due to him being left-handed but I would rather see Sands getting it.

QUOTE (glangon @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 03:09 AM)
The thing with Aumont is that he has impressed and given up nothing in spring and could force out someone like Putnam who could get optioned to Charlotte in favour of Aumont.

Hector and May should get sent down, although the speed of May must give them pause for thought for having that late inning baserunning threat.

I have this suspicion that Ishikawa is going to get the job due to him being left-handed but I would rather see Sands getting it.

I like what May did this Spring. Hope he keeps it up in the minors and can be a potential replacement for Jackson in center next season with his speed and defense in the 9 spot.

Sidenote: I completely forgot that we still really don't have a long term catcher.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 05:35 PM)

Yup. I'd say right now it's Ishikawa 55%, Sands 45%, and the others aren't really contenders unless someone gets hurt.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 06:50 AM)
I like what May did this Spring. Hope he keeps it up in the minors and can be a potential replacement for Jackson in center next season with his speed and defense in the 9 spot.

Sidenote: I completely forgot that we still really don't have a long term catcher.

The system has a handful of catching prospects now that have starter ceilings... problem is, they were all in Rookie ball last year (Zavala, Alfaro, Perez) and are at least 3 years away if not more. The rest of the guys in the upper levels, like Smith and Narvaez, are complimentary/backup players at best.

I bet they're putting off announcing the last spot will go to Ishikawa because they are likely working on adding someone else and delaying having to put Ishikawa on 40 until the very end of Spring Training. Just my own theory since it's that time of year where lots of guys move around. How big of a move? No idea.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 05:47 PM)
I bet they're putting off announcing the last spot will go to Ishikawa because they are likely working on adding someone else and delaying having to put Ishikawa on 40 until the very end of Spring Training. Just my own theory since it's that time of year where lots of guys move around. How big of a move? No idea.

I agree. Whether it's Loney, Gonzalez, or someone else, I think Hahn has a move up his sleeve before the season starts.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)
Probably Melky since he wasn't good against lefties last season.

In only 171 AB though, it's a sample too small to read that much into. He had a .784 OPS in 2014 and an OPS over 1.000 in 2012 against lefties.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
Well yeah. Sands would just take Melky's spot in the lineup. Whether at DH or an outfield spot. It's definitely rotating.

I highly doubt Melky platoons with anyone. It's pointless to have Sands and Garcia on the roster. Doesn't make any sense. They need a left handed bat really bad.