How much would you pay to take Panda off of Boston's hands?

TheFutureIsNear

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i know i never wanted panda and i even mention that with the big contract, he will out eat his contract.

however with that said, i will not say never..... but if bos pays a crap load of his contract and offer a handfull of their key prospects. it might be a beginning.

if not, there are other options, how desperate are they to move him???

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
And to be fair, literally no one thought signing Sandoval at anywhere near what Boston bid was a good idea. No one.

Never said anyone here did. I just said it seemed pretty obvious that trouble would occur. Maybe the Red Sox thought they could get 2 or 3 years out of him before it happened, but they got nothing. Many times teams get burned, but at least you could see where a signing made sense. This one was crazy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 12:28 PM)
Never said anyone here did. I just said it seemed pretty obvious that trouble would occur. Maybe the Red Sox thought they could get 2 or 3 years out of him before it happened, but they got nothing. Many times teams get burned, but at least you could see where a signing made sense. This one was crazy.

And it was compounded by the HanRam signing and subsequent failing

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
Zero

Bust in Boston

We have a 3rd baseman...Panda can play no other position.

If this isn't "hero worshiping", then what is it?

God that phrase is so stupid and way overused on this site. How is trying to find a reasonably priced DH "hero worshiping"? If he hits like he did in 2014 he's still worth $6-8M/year on the open market easily, if not more. 1 bad year doesn't make the guy done forever. He does have an .848 OPS this spring and steamer has him projected at .281/.332/.441....it's no doubt a gamble, but if we could get him at below market value and implement a weight clause I don't see how it's such a crazy idea.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 10:19 PM)
God that phrase is so stupid and way overused on this site. How is trying to find a reasonably priced DH "hero worshiping"? If he hits like he did in 2014 he's still worth $6-8M/year on the open market easily, if not more. 1 bad year doesn't make the guy done forever. He does have an .848 OPS this spring and steamer has him projected at .281/.332/.441....it's no doubt a gamble, but if we could get him at below market value and implement a weight clause I don't see how it's such a crazy idea.

i agree with the bold ref #1.

ref to the other bold, i hate to bring this up, but panda is signed to a contract and no one can add an amendment to an existing contract unless the players agrees to it.

so can you see panda agreeing to a weight clause??

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 05:19 PM)

I think we have to consider the fact that Boston has benched him in favor of an okay-hitting first baseman who may not even be able to field the position as evidence that Sandoval hasn't shown a lot of "bounceback promise," and there's no reason to believe a weight clause will work here when it hasn't worked anywhere else he's been.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 12:19 AM)
I think we have to consider the fact that Boston has benched him in favor of an okay-hitting first baseman who may not even be able to field the position as evidence that Sandoval hasn't shown a lot of "bounceback promise," and there's no reason to believe a weight clause will work here when it hasn't worked anywhere else he's been.

if i understand, if there was a weight clause, then bos can enforce by what ever the language of the contract says. whether it is no money or reduce salary.

what is really needed is a hard weight clause, either you meet a certain weight or no money.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 07:26 PM)
if i understand, if there was a weight clause, then bos can enforce by what ever the language of the contract says. whether it is no money or reduce salary.

what is really needed is a hard weight clause, either you meet a certain weight or no money.

His contract is signed, he has four more years of no weight clause. There is no reason for him to just give them a reason to withhold money

If a weight clause was possible with Sandoval, his weight wouldn't be a concern right now. Sandoval's lack of self restraint when it comes to food tells me he is not very dedicated to his job or his team. Boston can keep that bloated contract and player.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 04:00 AM)
If they could acquire him for a low A player with the White Sox paying 4-5 million per year for his services, I would actually be interested. Even with everything going on, it wouldn't be a franchise changing killer contract. *Hot Take over

well this is on me and me being, well greedy, foolish, stupid, but i would want, beside a sweetener of money for the salary, but a prospect added..... i know they are giving him to the sox for 4-5 mip per.