White Sox Sign Miguel Gonzalez

GoGoSox2k2

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely I'm behind this. We talk about LH hitting but deep down we all know Ventura loves Shuck, and he'll likely matter as a result. I'll say this: Shuck would improve us defensively if he can push Melky to DH some.

The bigger need is starting pitching. in a not farfetched scenario we may have TWO starter voids and that is terrifying. In MG we could get a guy that is just-alright. He'd be better than Carroll. Erik Johnson is AAAA material right now. Beck is there but a win-now team cant be relying on that.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
Interesting to compare his FIP and ERA by year

ERA from 2012 to 2015

FIPs from 2012 to 2015

Was gonna say - the buzz the last few days is that he has more success than his peripherals indicate he should

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 08:50 PM)
Absolutely I'm behind this. We talk about LH hitting but deep down we all know Ventura loves Shuck, and he'll likely matter as a result. I'll say this: Shuck would improve us defensively if he can push Melky to DH some.

The bigger need is starting pitching. in a not farfetched scenario we may have TWO starter voids and that is terrifying. In MG we could get a guy that is just-alright. He'd be better than Carroll. Erik Johnson is AAAA material right now. Beck is there but a win-now team cant be relying on that.

i agree, the sox do need a sp and i am sure the FO realizes this as well. the thing is, MG may be the best of who is out there at this time. the sox will be hard press to make a trade, so this is dumpster diving and i agree, they need to do this now, at this time.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
I read that his velocity is way down, and he's a big flyball pitcher too. Not bad to have more options I guess but I don't have high hopes for him, especially when a team that could have the worst rotation in the MLB cuts him.

It might be down this spring, but his four years are all really close

Fb Speed by year 2012 to 15

People love others' trash. Latos sucks, EJohnson sucks, just look at their springs. Miguel Gonzalez, now there's an idea. Yet this spring:

19 IP

35 H

21 R

21 ER

5 HR

6 BB

8 SO

And that's in Florida. I wonder what it would have been like in AZ.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
Cut from the worst pitching staff in the AL, if not MLB.

But the grass is always greener....

Yea the same front office that sent Arrietta away for Scott Feldman. Nobody is saying trade away your precious mediocre prospects, but rather negotiate with him when he clears waivers

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 06:09 PM)
This tells me that the White Sox brass can't be too pleased with the bottom of our rotation which consists of Danks and Latos.

Either that or they think they see some flaw they think will turn Gonzalez around. His peripherals have been horrid for years, he was horrid last year and worse than that this spring. It is probably a long shot at best, but if he is willing to go to Charlotte, I don't see the harm. I just wouldn't expect much. It isn't often a good starting pitcher making $5 million gets released right before opening day.