Papa John's to become official Pizza of MLB

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)
I just can't get on board with the Chicago pizza snobbery. Sure, if I have a choice, I prefer my local Chicago pizza joints. But if I need a quick inexpensive meal, there's nothing wrong with some Papa John's.

Pizza Lunchables and Mama Celeste are even cheaper and about on par with Papa John's.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 12:18 PM)
There was something in the Tribune yesterday. There were like 4 new things. They all looked pretty good.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...otogallery.html

Thanks! I missed that, usually they tweet these things out. It's possible I missed that too.

Bacon cheddar pretzel dog is just the amount of ridiculousness I expect.

1. Of all major pizza chains, Papa Johns is bottom of the barrel and I just hope Beggars stays as long as possible.

2. The real crime here is not offering curly fries anymore. There should be a petition to bring those back.

Notes on Pizza:

Beggars is good but expensive. The only time I eat is at the park because at least I expect to pay crazy prices at the Cell.

Papa Johns offers pizza that is fundamentally identical to Little Ceasers at twice the price of Lil C's. There is no reason to order Papa Johns unless youre too intoxicated to pick it up

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 01:01 PM)
Notes on Pizza:

Beggars is good but expensive. The only time I eat is at the park because at least I expect to pay crazy prices at the Cell.

Papa Johns offers pizza that is fundamentally identical to Little Ceasers at twice the price of Lil C's. There is no reason to order Papa Johns unless youre too intoxicated to pick it up

There is a shop by my office. They do lay it on thick, so much so, I can get by easily with one slice. I probably venture over there once a year. It doesn't appear the slices at the park have it layed on as thick.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 01:01 PM)
Notes on Pizza:

Also the only time the garlic sauce is any good, when sober that s*** is disgusting.

Of the major chains: If I want quick cheap pizza, I'll got to LC. If I want pizza with so much grease that I need 3 plates, I'll go to Pizza Hut. If I want pizza with way to much garlic seasoning on the crust, I'll order Dominos. If I want good pizza, I'll get Papa John's.

It's the only place my entire family can really agree on. My wife will even eat it re-heated the next day. And she never eats leftovers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
Even amongst more of the fast food type of pizza, Papa John's sucks. Give me Little Ceasars or Pizza Hut over them.

I don't think I've ever been to a Pizza Hut since childhood, and Little Caesars is too far away now. That was fine too, I do like Papa John's thickness.

In the end, some do it better than others of course, but cheese and dough and sauce are hard to screw up.

Was it 3 years or so ago when they were serving digornos at the park? That was insane. Best pizza city in the world and they serve that s***? With so many awesome local pizza franchises in Chicago, I never understood why they didn't get some big name in there. Beggars is cool to offer.

Lou malnatis

Gino's

Giordanos

Connies

Nancy's

Taylor St.

Rosatis

Aurilios

Etc

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 07:37 PM)
Was it 3 years or so ago when they were serving digornos at the park? That was insane. Best pizza city in the world and they serve that s***? With so many awesome local pizza franchises in Chicago, I never understood why they didn't get some big name in there. Beggars is cool to offer.

Lou malnatis

Gino's

Giordanos

Connies

Nancy's

Taylor St.

Rosatis

Aurilios

Etc

They had Connies for years. Digrono must've put together a really good bid. Think the UC is still that.

I've only had Papa John's at hockey games in Bloomington. I always thought it was decent in the way that a frozen pizza can be pretty good. Nowadays I've been digging Domino's for the big chains and Donatos for a local one here in OH

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
I don't think I've ever been to a Pizza Hut since childhood, and Little Caesars is too far away now. That was fine too, I do like Papa John's thickness.

In the end, some do it better than others of course, but cheese and dough and sauce are hard to screw up.

but it seems like Papa Johns does screw it up often. So many times I'll bite into a slice of Papa Johns and all the cheese and toppings pull right off the pizza. So I'm stuck with a ball of cheese on my plate and a piece of dough with sauce on it.

With that said, I order it when I have a 50% code. For some reason I'm able to use the codes for the Florida Panthers, Rays, Lightning, Magic and Orlando City. So if I want to spend $6 on a pizza its Papa Johns. If I want pizza and there is no codes then I'll just order it from a local NY pizza place and spend $15 instead of $11 or $12 from Papa Johns or Pizza Hut.

There is a Dominos about 1/4 mile from me that I've ordered from 3 times in the last 18 months and each time I wonder why I would subject myself to that s***.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 08:37 PM)

Lou malnatis

Gino's

Giordanos

Connies

Nancy's

Taylor St.

Rosatis

Aurilios

Etc

3 locations in Orlando which is great.

Went to Gino's East last August and will be going back to Chicago this summer for work with two others who didnt go last year. So I guess its Gino's again unless someone can recommend a better place in the area of the pier.

I have to say that while I love Little Caesar's Crazy Bread and Italian Cheese Bread, their pizza is pure garbage, it tastes bland and not fresh at the same. If you can have pizza that is uninspired, that would be it. I'd rather have a Jack's frozen pizza. Freschetta's rising crust or whatever it's called is actually fantastic, as frozen pizzas go.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 3, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)
I have to say that while I love Little Caesar's Crazy Bread and Italian Cheese Bread, their pizza is pure garbage, it tastes bland and not fresh at the same. If you can have pizza that is uninspired, that would be it. I'd rather have a Jack's frozen pizza. Freschetta's rising crust or whatever it's called is actually fantastic, as frozen pizzas go.

For me the key to LC is to get him home and throw it in the oven for 5 minutes. Way better with a crispy crust and hotter cheese.