Sands gets the 25th spot

Quin

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)
I think that 25 spot changes tho after the off day. There was talk that they will probably been needing to go to a 13th pitcher with the 17 straight games. So I'm guessing someone time on the roster is temporary

They play 19 straight after the one off day on the 12th. Maybe they keep Sands now because it would be easier to outright him after the season begins rather than now when a team would claim him.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 1, 2016 -> 06:35 PM)
He had a 50% shot at being right. No offense, just the truth.

You're right.

I was going to make an article weighing who was getting the last spot, then while fact checking I noticed Sands was the only one left on the roster.

So a guy who hits .188 with a 40% strikeout rate. And who played pretty poor defense makes the team? When guys like Loney and Murphy are out there?

yikes. our roster is pretty solid 1-24 and ends there apparently. What are we saving Davidson for? Trade? It's not like grooming im to replace Frazier or Abreu so may as well bring him north.

Sands? I'd rather Ishakawa.

I'm actually happy they made this move. I want nothing to do with Ishikawa. Don't care if he's left-handed when he can't hit RHP at a league average level. Sands at least provides one above average skill in that he can hit LHP. He also put up pretty even splits during a strong stint in Columbus last year (SSS I know), suggesting there's at least some potential there. I'd obviously much rather have a legit left-handed bat on the bench (sorry J.B. Shuck), but until we can find said player, I'd rather go with the younger guy with some upside than the older has been.

Ultimately this decision doesn't make a giant impact, probably. It's just a OF-DH rotation now, if played right. And Sands gets the least time.

I'd have preferred Ishikawa, but I don't see a huge difference in the end.

I do worry that Ventura assumes Shuck hits righties well because he's a lefty, which isn't true (or at least hasn't been).

So the first time Robin decides to rest Abreu and DH him, someone else will play first, and whoever that slug is, the pitchers will have get about 30-32 outs per game, and Ishy will either be sitting on the Charlotte bench or playing first base there, which means Danny Hayes will be sitting, or Ishy will be somewhere else.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 2, 2016 -> 07:53 AM)
Need someone on the bench who can catch the ball in the outfield. Thus Shuck

Agree. I wouldn't mind a bench of catcher, Saladino, Shuck and Garcia (not really a straight platoon though for DH. Garcia can get at bats in the outfield as well). Murphy mostly DHing against righties.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 2, 2016 -> 07:53 AM)
Need someone on the bench who can catch the ball in the outfield. Thus Shuck

Shuck didn't seem like that good of a defensive outfielder to me. Other than solid contact/on-base skills, I don't understand the love he gets around here. Would much rather have Murphy as our left-handed bench bat than Shuck.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 2, 2016 -> 08:22 AM)
Shuck didn't seem like that good of a defensive outfielder to me. Other than solid contact/on-base skills, I don't understand the love he gets around here. Would much rather have Murphy as our left-handed bench bat than Shuck.

Well I assumed that's why he's here...he has so little pop that it can't be his bat. His OBP is usually respectable, but probably unsustainable if over-exposed.

I don't see much point in the Loneys or Murphys. They aren't that good, they're aging, the worst OFs in baseball (Angels, Tribe) who have seen them recently have passed (re Murphy).

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 2, 2016 -> 08:39 AM)
Well I assumed that's why he's here...he has so little pop that it can't be his bat. His OBP is usually respectable, but probably unsustainable if over-exposed.

I don't see much point in the Loneys or Murphys. They aren't that good, they're aging, the worst OFs in baseball (Angels, Tribe) who have seen them recently have passed (re Murphy).

Murphy has always been underrated and he can DH and Shuck can still be on the bench. I'd prefer him to Sands and Ishikawa.