Crain's: White Sox sign with Coke after 15-year run with Pepsi

shysocks

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
I'm not trying to crusade to stop people from drinking what they like.

I just personally don't get it America's obsession with sugar infused carbonated drinks.

That is all.

On that note, I don't get America's obsession with caffeine either - all that Starbucks coffee crap, Red Bulls, etc.

It's like half the population can't function without a coffee in their hands these days.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)
Coke is definitely the superior soda.

And, guys, it's soda, not pop.

I think the only place in America where it's called "pop" is here in the Chicago area.

Everyone else in America calls it soda, which is its true name if you read the packaging itself. I've called it pop before in other cities when I was away on business and it often got a chuckle out of the locals.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 02:37 AM)
Well, considering the acids in most pops are citric acids, yeah, I'd say they are.

Don't use it for mouth wash.

However, you know what acid is way more powerful than the acids found in fruits and pop? Stomach acid.

Wrong.

It's phosphoric acid. That's what gives the carbonated beverages their syrupy tangy taste.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
I think the only place in America where it's called "pop" is here in the Chicago area.

Everyone else in America calls it soda, which is its true name if you read the packaging itself. I've called it pop before in other cities when I was away on business and it often got a chuckle out of the locals.

Nope.

http://popvssoda.com/

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)
On that note, I don't get America's obsession with caffeine either - all that Starbucks coffee crap, Red Bulls, etc.

It's like half the population can't function without a coffee in their hands these days.

I think caffeine is pretty universal. If it's not coffee it's most likely tea.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)

That's hilarious! There's a freaking webpage dedicated to charting how various regions of the county describe soda? Wish I had that kind of time on my hands. Let me guess, it probably came from a frivolous research project from the U.S. government - paid for with our tax money.

Thanks, I stand corrected.

Edited by Doc Edwards Shot

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
Wrong.

It's phosphoric acid. That's what gives the carbonated beverages their syrupy tangy taste.

It's true that soda can be used to take rust off stuff because of the phosphoric acid in it.

I tried it on my kid's bike and it worked to some extent. Not quite as good as a real rust remover, but not half bad.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)

Caffeine is not unique to America.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
DuPage county with 77% pop and 18% soda? I've literally never heard anyone refer to it as "pop" in DuPage, and I work at a restaurant...

You must not be listening then. I've never heard anyone refer to it as "soda" in most of the entire midwest.

Edited by Iwritecode