4/6 Sox @ Oakland

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pathetic game. You give up two runs, you need to win. Oh well, 2-1 in series is nice. Some hitters are really looking lousy/mediocre so far. 2-1 in this series is the best we could be hitting like this.

3 very good starts. If our rotation keeps this up, it will be sad if the hitting lets us down. Defense might be OK this year.

As expected, it looks as if catcher will be a black hole offensively. Short and second may not be very good at all (even though Rollins hit that awesome homer last night) and Avi appears to be a possible black hole.

I'll take 2-1 on the road so far, but horrible loss tonight because of the offense.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 12:08 AM)
Pathetic game. You give up two runs, you need to win. Oh well, 2-1 in series is nice. Some hitters are really looking lousy/mediocre so far. 2-1 in this series is the best we could be hitting like this.

3 very good starts. If our rotation keeps this up, it will be sad if the hitting lets us down. Defense might be OK this year.

As expected, it looks as if catcher will be a black hole offensively. Short and second may not be very good at all (even though Rollins hit that awesome homer last night) and Avi appears to be a possible black hole.

I'll take 2-1 on the road so far, but horrible loss tonight because of the offense.

Avila had some of the best ABs tonight and had a couple good ones yesterday

I understand it was Sonny Gray but he walked four guys too. Just a shame to waste the performance Rodon gave and a bad flashback to last year as far as poor offense.

Offense just hasn't looked very good at all in the series so far.

Will be very interested to see what happens Thursday. Latos is pitching, expect the A's to score some runs...can the Sox finally score say six or seven and maybe take three of four?

Considering they won the first two, getting a split in the series would be a downer, you've got to take the series.

We'll see.

Also I thought I saw or read somewhere that the Sox hadn't gone 3-0 to start a season since 1992. If that's true, that's unbelievable.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 05:19 AM)
I understand it was Sonny Gray but he walked four guys and gave up three hits too. Just a shame to waste the performance Rodon gave and a bad flashback to last year as far as poor offense.

Will be very interested to see what happens Thurday. Latos is pitching, expect the A's to score some runs...can the Sox finally score say six or seven and maybe take three of four?

Considering they won the first two getting a split in the series would be a downer, you've got to take the series.

We'll see.

Mark

Winning three of four while scoring 6-8 runs in the final game of the set would make for an awesome opening series. Losing 3-1 or something like that would mean 2-2 and an OK start, but not that great.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 11:19 PM)
I understand it was Sonny Gray but he walked four guys too. Just a shame to waste the performance Rodon gave and a bad flashback to last year as far as poor offense.

Will be very interested to see what happens Thursday. Latos is pitching, expect the A's to score some runs...can the Sox finally score say six or seven and maybe take three of four?

Considering they won the first two, getting a split in the series would be a downer, you've got to take the series.

We'll see.

Also I thought I saw or read somewhere that the Sox hadn't gone 3-0 to start a season since 1992. If that's true, that's unbelievable.

Mark

Gray walked some folks (of them a pitch-around of Frazier) but let's not pretend he didn't have top-notch control tonight. As Hawk and Steve mentioned, he was working all 4 quadrants with good accuracy, not to mention he got his curve ball going which resulted in some really ugly swings. Dude pitched a good game by keeping Sox hitters guessing.

Avi already looks frustrated...that's not good. He's a DH, surely we can find a pro hitter for a few million that could fill that role much better. Melky needs to get it going. Outside of that, no shame in that loss.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 11:31 PM)
Avi already looks frustrated...that's not good. He's a DH, surely we can find a pro hitter for a few million that could fill that role much better.

The problem is unfortunately nobody is available certainly not the first week of the season.

Sox are pretty much stuck with him until maybe June when things start to loosen up and teams start to fall out of contention. If the Sox are in it they've got 13 million to play with (Thanks Adam!!!!!LOL)

Mark

At least they have more "professional" hitters in guys like Rollins, Jackson and Avila/Navarro that can give you a battle up there.

Didn't really expect it was going to be easy to take 3/4, especially with Gray being their equivalent of Sale. The Sox were pretty fortunate to get the win Tuesday after Jones blew up.

Offensively, Cabrera and Garcia are going to be two huge keys. At least Eaton's off to a much better start and seems pretty comfortable in RF.

Have made some mistakes already on the base paths but they were able to cover them up the first two.

As far as Lip's comments go, I think that was referring to the Cubs also being 3-0 at the beginning of a season.

At any rate, since 2006, the best we've done after one month is 2 games over .500 and typically we're 3-5 games under, so .500 or above and nobody (particularly KC) running away with the division is fine. They just can't get buried early.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 11:22 PM)
Winning three of four while scoring 6-8 runs in the final game of the set would make for an awesome opening series. Losing 3-1 or something like that would mean 2-2 and an OK start, but not that great.

10-15 years ago, winning just one game on the West Coast was cause for celebration. Eventually we started to figure out Seattle (it helped that they started to suck in the mid 2000's), but Oakland and LA have always been the two toughest places for us to win consistently.

That said, starting this weekend...we need to finally start taking care of business in the AL Central again. That means 5-10 games over .500 within the division to have a realistic shot at the playoffs.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 05:40 AM)
The problem is unfortunately nobody is available certainly not the first week of the season.

Sox are pretty much stuck with him until maybe June when things start to loosen up and teams start to fall out of contention. If the Sox are in it they've got 13 million to play with (Thanks Adam!!!!!LOL)

Mark

dang, this team sucks big time, so much for hoping of going undefeated.

but seriously it is still really early and i like to see how the season opener looks like. if after 2 weeks, then i can start biitching but it all this, falls directly on the owners .... the good and the bad.