Matt Albers

VAfan

It just dawned on me, but after last night's game, I wonder if Matt Albers might not be the White Sox' second best relief pitcher. Last night, inning and a third of one hit ball. No walks. One K. Low stress stuff.

Last year, his WHIP of 1.07 was the second best on the team, behind only Robertson (.93). His 1.21 ERA was by far the best of any Sox pitcher. Nate Jones was next at 3.32.

In his 30 games last year over 37.1 innings, he gave up runs in only 4 appearances, and gave up more than 1 run only once, on July 31 against the Yankees (he gave up 3 in a 13-6 loss). Indeed, this was part of the only bad stretch he had on the season. He gave up runs in 3 appearances in a row from July 30-Aug 4. Otherwise, he appeared 27 times and gave up a run only once.

His strike out to walk ratio of 3.11 is behind only Robertson and Nate Jones among our relievers.

Overall, he was used more often in games the Sox were losing than winning or tied (19-9-2). But I really wonder if this is his best use.

Hasn't he shown enough to this point to be considered for higher leverage opptys? I mean, wouldn't you trust him to give up zero runs in an inning he starts more than just about anyone else in our bullpen?

I'm not suggesting he become our closer. But what about the 8th inning guy?

KC uses a flamethrower in the 7th. Maybe that's a better inning for Nate Jones? Use Albers in the 8th? And let the rest of the guys pitch earlier or when we're behind, and prove they are worth higher leverage slots?

Just an idea.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the 57 relievers last year who threw at least 30 innings with a ground ball rate above 50%, I count 8 who allowed a lower BABIP than him. Most of those 8 had better strikeout rates than Albers. No pitcher in baseball with more than 30 innings had a higher strand rate (95.1%).

It's great that his time here has gone well, and he's a fine reliever, but I don't expect him to keep holding a 1.00 ERA. He's still firmly in the Just A Guy (JAG) category for me. I'd be good with him handling the 8th sometimes, if only because he doesn't walk a bunch of guys and that makes us all feel better.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 10:30 AM)
Albers was hitting 93-96 last night with movement......

Last year I think he was 89-92...

Albers' fastball was under 90 last year. Last night he averaged 94.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
It just dawned on me, but after last night's game, I wonder if Matt Albers might not be the White Sox' second best relief pitcher. Last night, inning and a third of one hit ball. No walks. One K. Low stress stuff.

Last year, his WHIP of 1.07 was the second best on the team, behind only Robertson (.93). His 1.21 ERA was by far the best of any Sox pitcher. Nate Jones was next at 3.32.

In his 30 games last year over 37.1 innings, he gave up runs in only 4 appearances, and gave up more than 1 run only once, on July 31 against the Yankees (he gave up 3 in a 13-6 loss). Indeed, this was part of the only bad stretch he had on the season. He gave up runs in 3 appearances in a row from July 30-Aug 4. Otherwise, he appeared 27 times and gave up a run only once.

His strike out to walk ratio of 3.11 is behind only Robertson and Nate Jones among our relievers.

Overall, he was used more often in games the Sox were losing than winning or tied (19-9-2). But I really wonder if this is his best use.

Hasn't he shown enough to this point to be considered for higher leverage opptys? I mean, wouldn't you trust him to give up zero runs in an inning he starts more than just about anyone else in our bullpen?

I'm not suggesting he become our closer. But what about the 8th inning guy?

KC uses a flamethrower in the 7th. Maybe that's a better inning for Nate Jones? Use Albers in the 8th? And let the rest of the guys pitch earlier or when we're behind, and prove they are worth higher leverage slots?

Just an idea.

The fact he has done well with the Sox is great for us. But, I think when a relief staff is formed the pitchers have specific roles. After two games it's hard to start changing them around

I think Putnam is better than he's given credit for. Last year he got pretty unlucky with a 17.5 HR/FB% (only 4.3% in 2014). I think that has to come down. And it's not like he was giving up hard contact, his average exit velocity in 2015 was 85 MPH, which was near the bottom in all of baseball.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)
The Sox also use Albers more as a long man in this pen set up, which is why he doesn't throw late.

13 of his 30 appearances were for more than 1 inning.

This is an important point for relief pitchers. Who can go more than an inning and still be effective. The coaches need to consider this for the current game and the possibility of needing more relief innings with the 4 and 5 starters coming up soon. They cannot be short sighted and look only at the current game. they could win today but lose 2 because of a shorter bullpen in the next two days.

I've never understood the nate jones love. Yes he has dynamic stuff but he walks too many for me to be used consistently in close late inning situations. Not sure any of these guys are shut down 8th inning guys but I would definitely look at Albers there to at least have another option in case of Jones failure/injury. Albers has been quite good as a reliever since 2012 albeit over somewhat limited innings.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
Also, so far so good on RV this year. Really have zero complaints through the first two games. Granted winning but I like his lineups and decision to not overly tax Q and Sale early.

The only thing I can fault him for so far was the decision to let Petricka start the 8th inning in the opener. Jones should’ve started that inning instead.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)
The only thing I can fault him for so far was the decision to let Petricka start the 8th inning in the opener. Jones should’ve started that inning instead.

Eh Petricka was already warmed up from the inning before and he wanted Duke to face the lefty. I know he walked the leadoff man but it's not like Petricka usually has control problems. That was fine.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)

Then Robertson does a 4-out save after we bring in a lefty to face Reddick? That wouldn't make sense