4/7 White Sox at Oakland game thread

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 05:27 PM)
Eaton is on fire. He must be a double agent because he's playing like he hates Drake Laroche.

He's trying his hardest to avenge the loss of Drake.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 05:31 PM)
Surprised Hendriks hasn't been pulled yet, but their bullpen has pitched a lot this series.

He's out there until he gets the third out.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
Bob Melvin is just letting Hendricks die

We haven't gotten the clutch hits yet, but this team seems to be doing a much better job at working counts and getting into teams bullpens. Still, extremely small sample size. Having power helps too as one swing of the bat can make the difference any given day.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 06:34 PM)
We haven't gotten the clutch hits yet, but this team seems to be doing a much better job at working counts and getting into teams bullpens. Still, extremely small sample size. Having power helps too as one swing of the bat can make the difference any given day.

agree, even when they aren't getting hits they are at least putting together good at bats.

I think the 9th showed some pretty clutch hits.

BUt yes. This is why I wanted to prioritize power over OBP. We weren't going to be great at OBP anyway, may as well make it easier to score through more doubles/HRs. Because we had like 8 hits in the ninth to score 4 runs.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
agree, even when they aren't getting hits they are at least putting together good at bats.

Last year, I felt like there were so many wasted / half-assed at bats. It seems cliche, but you look at the better hitters in the league and it is amazing what they can grind out of an at bat and I feel to some extent that is contagious. You see other people keep that edge and fight and you want to do it too. Especially in this modern era where you in general have more people willing to k and give up at bats / not adjust approach to try and battle out (thus lower potential percentages of effectiveness, imo).

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
I think the 9th showed some pretty clutch hits.

BUt yes. This is why I wanted to prioritize power over OBP. We weren't going to be great at OBP anyway, may as well make it easier to score through more doubles/HRs. Because we had like 8 hits in the ninth to score 4 runs.

Well I think you need a bit of both. A team full of Adam Dunn's is going to be pretty s***ty (and that team would have power and OBP). Bottom line, when power isn't there, you still have to be able to score and execute but you can't have 126 home run power either (unless you are elite everywhere else).

It isn't as if the Royals / Giants in recent years were power laden teams so it isn't a pre-requisite. I have always said when it comes to offensive stats, I prefer average and OBP to almost everything else (to the dismay of staty's) but hits generate runs more than anything. It is nice to have the fall back option of big homers but you need well rounded teams that can do both. Last years team had no power, no obp, and no average. It was the pits. Oh and s***ty defense to boot. This years isn't extremely better but it is improved in all categories (with potential exception to pitching...we'll see longer term there, but as long as pitching is close to last years, if we get improvements elsewhere, it could be enough and put us in position where a nice June / July move can help put this team over the top a bit).

Just keep winning and playing well!!!