4/7 White Sox at Oakland game thread

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 05:39 PM)
Well I think you need a bit of both. A team full of Adam Dunn's is going to be pretty s***ty (and that team would have power and OBP). Bottom line, when power isn't there, you still have to be able to score and execute but you can't have 126 home run power either (unless you are elite everywhere else).

It isn't as if the Royals / Giants in recent years were power laden teams so it isn't a pre-requisite. I have always said when it comes to offensive stats, I prefer average and OBP to almost everything else.

I agree, but if you have a team like ours with low obp and low power, it was going to be difficult to make improvements in both especiallya fter we weren't going to sign the top tier players.

In that case, I'd prioritize improving power before OBP, as it seems to naturally get better when there's a real threat of power anyway.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 05:42 PM)
I agree, but if you have a team like ours with low obp and low power, it was going to be difficult to make improvements in both especiallya fter we weren't going to sign the top tier players.

In that case, I'd prioritize improving power before OBP, as it seems to naturally get better when there's a real threat of power anyway.

It may be cheaper and more feasible to sign OBP at this point, though. Loney, for example.

It's not like the Sox have a ton of highly ranked prospects that they're willing to part with in a trade.

Edited by Black_Jack29

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
It's only 4 games, but a good start like this is really, really big. With a lot of characters on this team, things can snowball either way, both positive and negative.

This inning right here is a GREAT way to head back to Chicago.

Splitting two games I would have been satisfied. I just didnt want the narrative of "spring training distractions carrying over" starting before our home series. It's an easy and lazy talking point. Plus even though we're only four games in, April has always started traditionally slow for the Sox and this is a welcomed change.

It's imperative that this team get off to a good start this season. The attitude is much improved. They have some guys who won't accept losing. At worst you need to stay .500 or better through the first 50 games.

Now they come home and need to get at least 2 out of 3 from the Indians.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 06:44 PM)
Happy flight!

Good start to the season. Clutch homers. Good starting pitching. Dig it.

Good bullpen work as well. Nice opening series

Very, VERY nicely done today. Stunned... floored by Latos' performance. Offense showed some life at least today. Best game this season. Take the opening series.

Now we'll see what happens against a good Cleveland pitching staff...assuming they can play this weekend.

Mark

Worked all day and avoided this thread for most of the afternoon. Saved a good Boulevard Sour for today and I'm glad I did!

Pumped about our starting pitching. What a game by Latos all things considered. Eaton is absolutely on fire. That's fabulous for this lineup. I like Melky in the 2hole personally. I knew it'd start falling for him with how hard he hit it his first AB. Garcia hit the ball hard today. Navarro crushed that ball in the 9th. Starting this season out very good. I'm stoked to be going home 3-1 and Latos having a fabulous performance and Rodon having the best outing of the 4.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 07:02 PM)
Worked all day and avoided this thread for most of the afternoon. Saved a good Boulevard Sour for today and I'm glad I did!

Pumped about our starting pitching. What a game by Latos all things considered. Eaton is absolutely on fire. That's fabulous for this lineup. I like Melky in the 2hole personally. I knew it'd start falling for him with how hard he hit it his first AB. Garcia hit the ball hard today. Navarro crushed that ball in the 9th. Starting this season out very good. I'm stoked to be going home 3-1 and Latos having a fabulous performance and Rodon having the best outing of the 4.

That has quickly become one of my favorites!! :cheers

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 08:08 PM)
That has quickly become one of my favorites!! :cheers

I worked til 5, came home and drank a pint of that while watching Latos kick ass and took a power nap. Great day! Was really rooting for a great outing by Latos and got it. 5th inning was my key. Once he got through that easily I knew we'd get some runs and win.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 08:29 PM)
I worked til 5, came home and drank a pint of that while watching Latos kick ass and took a power nap. Great day! Was really rooting for a great outing by Latos and got it. 5th inning was my key. Once he got through that easily I knew we'd get some runs and win.

If you can get your hands on the Anderson Valley Blood Orange gose, do so, you will not regret it.