The Rollins Conundrum

ron883

I'm not entirely sure why Rollins is entitled to all this play time when he is coming off of an awful season and has very diminished range at SS. I simply don't support starting somebody his age at SS. The Sox have an above average defensive SS in saladino. He had a good spring and has had minor league success. Does anybody argue that Jimmy Rollins provides more on field value?

Screw veteran entitlement. Play the player who helps the team more. Thought? Does Jimmy ride the pine soon?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ron883 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 03:39 PM)
I'm not entirely sure why Rollins is entitled to all this play time when he is coming off of an awful season and has very diminished range at SS. I simply don't support starting somebody his age at SS. The Sox have an above average defensive SS in saladino. He had a good spring and has had minor league success. Does anybody argue that Jimmy Rollins provides more on field value?

Screw veteran entitlement. Play the player who helps the team more. Thought? Does Jimmy ride the pine soon?

You are already b****ing about a guy who won a game for the White Sox 4 games into the season? 3-1, be happy.

Saladino had an awful season last year at the plate, and Rollins also had a great spring training. This team is better with Tyler able to fill in all over the infield instead of Jimmy Rollins or Carlos Sanchez.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
Saladino had an awful season last year at the plate, and Rollins also had a great spring training. This team is better with Tyler able to fill in all over the infield instead of Jimmy Rollins or Carlos Sanchez.

I agree with this. If Rollins is healthy, I like him offensively more than the the two in-house options.

If Rollins struggles offensively, I'd expect to see Anderson called up.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)

Seriously?

Saladino: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/saladty01.shtml

Rollins: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rolliji01.shtml

If Rollins '15 season was awful then how would you describe Saladino's '15 season?

I really don't understand this thread at all?!?...seriously? Did you have the pleasure to get out to Spring Training and witness any games? Rollins brings a leadership...an on the field QB presence this team has needed for a while IMO. You miss a cutoff...he'll let you know. I actually think that's maybe a little tiny part of the perceived Eaton rift. Love what he brings to this team. And like DA said...he's already won a game...so you want him to ride the pine?

QUOTE (ron883 @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 09:39 PM)

I was hoping Robin was going to use the entire roster a lot. No way Rollins should be the "everyday" shortstop. In a 4-game series he should play twice. In a three game series, OK, two times. Give him some time off. Until Sox acquired Rollins it was going to be Saladino over there all year. See if Saladino can produce. Give Rollins more at bats but not more than 450.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 07:22 AM)
I was hoping Robin was going to use the entire roster a lot. No way Rollins should be the "everyday" shortstop. In a 4-game series he should play twice. In a three game series, OK, two times. Give him some time off. Until Sox acquired Rollins it was going to be Saladino over there all year. See if Saladino can produce. Give Rollins more at bats but not more than 450.

while it is a sound idea, but seriously, it is an unrealistic idea,

there are some real reasons on why it is a bad idea,

1. this team needs to start off quickly

2. rollins has proven to be productive and even in spring training

3. leadership on the fileld, he contributes there.

4. finally, you play the hot hand.

QUOTE (Special K @ Apr 8, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)
Plus Rollins was pretty good like 6 years ago.

nothing like proven production. The Sox have proven it's a winning formula versus taking a chance on homegrown players.

Edited by GreenSox

I don't think Saladino's MLB prospects are hopeless, but I have long felt that he's owed nothing. Sure, if you have Tim Anderson ready, you tell Jimmy Rollins to pound salt. If you have Tyler Saladino waiting in the wings, you go with the best bet, which is probably Rollins.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 09:12 PM)
and with out a full explanation.

this sounds as a personal attack.

Cause he's not going to hit for average, IMO. If he's good field, no hit, put him ninth in the order. I like the one game Melky was second cause Melky usually makes contact and his .270 batting average last year suggests he'll find holes on a relatively consistent basis. He's got no power anymore. I'd go with Melky second.

We've already seen a handful of balls that Rollins simply doesn't have the range for anymore that Alexei of say, 2013, gets to and at least makes a throw. I really think they need to see what Saladino can do 3 days a week at SS. Give Rollins a day off almost every other day as that not only works Tyler into the lineup so they can get a better handle on how he handles live balls (not spring training or AAA bullets) and it also lets Rollins get plenty of rest. I really think the way to maximize this situation is to give Rollins 90-110 starts and Tyler the rest. If Tyler makes it so you have a hard decision to make come July about who the majority starter is the rest of the way good -- if he fails, and Rollins is what he is (1 WAR type at this point) then you look for help via trade.

I will say the left side of the IF so far looks pretty bad defensively. I don't miss Alexei at the plate but I certainly miss his range deep in the hole. He lost quite a bit of range the past few years but he still more often than not at least made it close. Rollins just puts those balls in his back pocket.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 10:34 PM)
We've already seen a handful of balls that Rollins simply doesn't have the range for anymore that Alexei of say, 2013, gets to and at least makes a throw. I really think they need to see what Saladino can do 3 days a week at SS. Give Rollins a day off almost every other day as that not only works Tyler into the lineup so they can get a better handle on how he handles live balls (not spring training or AAA bullets) and it also lets Rollins get plenty of rest. I really think the way to maximize this situation is to give Rollins 90-110 starts and Tyler the rest. If Tyler makes it so you have a hard decision to make come July about who the majority starter is the rest of the way good -- if he fails, and Rollins is what he is (1 WAR type at this point) then you look for help via trade.

I will say the left side of the IF so far looks pretty bad defensively. I don't miss Alexei at the plate but I certainly miss his range deep in the hole. He lost quite a bit of range the past few years but he still more often than not at least made it close. Rollins just puts those balls in his back pocket.

This isn't a video game, you have to consider the psychological factor it has on players playing just every other day. It doesn't give the incumbent and his replacement any chance to develop any type of rhythm at the plate or on the field. If a player has a bad game, he couldn't get back out there to correct his mistakes. If he had a good game, he certainly cools off with not being able to continue to his success immediately. That's why you rarely see it being implemented in the major league.

Let Rollins play out there for a few more weeks. When he proves he couldn't handle a full time role. Move him back to the bench and let him play a game or two at SS a week, pinch hit, and maybe DH for a game as well.