The Rollins Conundrum

ron883

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 10, 2016 -> 04:27 AM)
Cause he's not going to hit for average, IMO. If he's good field, no hit, put him ninth in the order. I like the one game Melky was second cause Melky usually makes contact and his .270 batting average last year suggests he'll find holes on a relatively consistent basis. He's got no power anymore. I'd go with Melky second.

well, it is really early in the season... lets see what happen and the results come mid may.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 10, 2016 -> 04:37 AM)
This isn't a video game, you have to consider the psychological factor it has on players playing just every other day. It doesn't give the incumbent and his replacement any chance to develop any type of rhythm at the plate or on the field. If a player has a bad game, he couldn't get back out there to correct his mistakes. If he had a good game, he certainly cools off with not being able to continue to his success immediately. That's why you rarely see it being implemented in the major league.

Let Rollins play out there for a few more weeks. When he proves he couldn't handle a full time role. Move him back to the bench and let him play a game or two at SS a week, pinch hit, and maybe DH for a game as well.

ref the bold, this is the key to the post.

a player needs at bats... repeated at bats to either get it going and to figure it out. esp in the northern cities.... the cold weather take out a lot in players. that momentum that was build during sprint training.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 10, 2016 -> 07:00 AM)
why does it matter, the person it was intended to, answered and it is a dead issue.

Just the whole "pick on Greg" narrotive gets tiresome on this board. He does say alot of crap that makes you shake your head, but he is a good poster and fan of the sox.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 10, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)
Just the whole "pick on Greg" narrotive gets tiresome on this board. He does say alot of crap that makes you shake your head, but he is a good poster and fan of the sox.

actually you do not know my intentions and therefore, you are wrong.

fyi, and i think greg will vouch, i been a supporter of greg for many times.

i just didn't understand what his ref was ..... anywho, everyone at one time or another will say or post things that doesn't make sense, esp me....

ref to your post, making a big deal out of nothing.

Edited by LDF

I expect the plan is to rest Rollins for at least 40 games on the year. Might be more if Anderson enters the picture. We will also see Saladino as a late inning defensive replacement.

I agree with the veteran leadership point. Rollins has value beyond his playing ability.

I really wonder if he wasn't the reason LaRoche isn't here. He came to play baseball and win, not chill out and be a Dad.

Am i the only one that is not that excited about Tim Anderson? He seems to have very limitted power and he doesnt drive many runs in. All he's good for is some stolen bases and runs and a high average. He seems to be one of those athletic picks that has no power.

I wish the white sox had someone with the same make-up as a Carlos Correa, Manny Machado, Troy Tulowitzki, or even Trevor Story in the system.

• 5 weeks later...

The tough part is that Rollins is probably a huge part of the different clubhouse atmosphere this year. That kind of stuff can't be quantified, like if he were to get released would that have a drastic effect on the clubhouse?

Tough call. Really hope he just starts hitting better. No ones asking for .300... but to not look like a washed up big leaguer would be good.

QUOTE (South Sider @ May 9, 2016 -> 10:09 PM)
The tough part is that Rollins is probably a huge part of the different clubhouse atmosphere this year. That kind of stuff can't be quantified, like if he were to get released would that have a drastic effect on the clubhouse?

Tough call. Really hope he just starts hitting better. No ones asking for .300... but to not look like a washed up big leaguer would be good.

I don't want him released, I just think Saladino deserves more PT

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 9, 2016 -> 10:22 PM)
I don't want him released, I just think Saladino deserves more PT

I agree. Like now, when the Sox have a four-run lead in the bottom of the 12th. Salad definitely needs to be used more frequently as a defensive sub.

I think that we're stuck with Rollins on the 25-man, though. I just don't see the Sox releasing him. He's a good clubhouse guy and he's, well, Jimmy Rollins.

QUOTE (Green Line @ May 10, 2016 -> 05:11 AM)
Rollins is a professional veteran presence on this team that is much needed. His game is not what it used to be, but we need him.

True. The Sox are right behind the Cubs in terms of an out-of-this-world start to the season. Rollins has to be given some of the credit for this. I'm not a huge Rollins guy but I would very much be against his being released. Can't deny what he and all the new guys have meant to the team. I stand by my early April post that he should bat ninth however.

Edited by greg775