4/9 Game thread: Cleveland, 1:10pm, WGN/WLS

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
From what I understand, yes. You are not allowed to even touch the second baseman/shortstop covering the base.

So they're trying to ruin baseball now.

I originally thought they were just prohibiting making contact with the defender if they were behind (ss/3b side of) second base.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Real @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
Please. Let's keep bringing NL power hitters over to the Sox. It's obviously working.

? Dude has been fine. He's hit a couple bombs and his BB & K rates are in line with his career averages. His numbers look s***ty because of a .125 BABIP.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)

I originally thought they were just prohibiting making contact with the defender if they were behind (ss/3b side of) second base.

I don't like it. I'm all for player safety but it's silly at times.

• A runner sliding into second has to make "a bona fide attempt" not just to slide into the base, but also to "remain on the base."

• Runners will not be allowed to change their "pathway to the base" in the middle of a slide to break up a double play.

• Baserunners can no longer use a "roll block" on an infielder to break up a double play. Essentially, that means they can't start their slide in midair and make contact with the infielder at or near the knee, with either a leg, arm or the body, before they've made contact with the ground.

• If a runner makes contact with the infielder illegally, both he and the batter would be called out.

• But if the runner makes contact with the infielder while attempting a "bona fide" slide, he would not be called for interference.

• Finally, because of these new safety measures, MLB and the union have agreed to allow umpires to more strictly enforce the "neighborhood play" and use replay to review that play for the first time.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 9, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/63817564/v579...rs-dp-ends-game

Here's one instance of it severely affecting a game