Rotation changes

southsider2k5

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 08:24 AM)
They also could have traded for a big bat in Spring training and didn't. The $13 Mil may already be targeted for non-roster expenses.

Which trade did they miss out on?

QUOTE (Special K @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 07:52 AM)
We're stuck with Danks until we have an alternative. In the scheme of things, when we're complaining about Danks as our 5th starter, it means we have nice problems. I think the bigger issue is that we will need another "good" bat at some point to replace Avi. Just can't see the offense keeping up at this pace - hope i'm wrong.

The offense is averaging exactly 4 runs a game. I'd hope they could do better than that pace.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 08:43 AM)
i have a history of ripping on the owners b/c of their.... so called frugalness. the sox should have had more than 1 Ws flag.

from a front office perspective, 2006 was a better team than 05. FO did their job on that one-- 06 team just did not get it done on the field (despite still being very good). Fell victim to the chaos that is baseball more than anything else.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
from a front office perspective, 2006 was a better team than 05. FO did their job on that one-- 06 team just did not get it done on the field (despite still being very good). Fell victim to the chaos that is baseball more than anything else.

good point, but i was referring to the early 90's.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)

Not really. Williams ran a still productive Frank Thomas out of town.

Then, after dispatching his starting CF, Williams, par usual, completely misevaluated his young talent, and traded the only one of 2 rookie CFwho could play, leaving us with a starting CF who couldn't hit. And of course, Williams' poor evaluation skills have been a huge anchor for this organization for years.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)
They will almost certainly try and avoid the super 2 designation. When would that be, first week of June?

I remember hearing that about Rodon, but he came up in mid-April. How did that happen? I forgot

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
Why does Chris Sale give up so many bombs?

I think he gets tired by the time the 6th rolls around most games and he just DGAF he'd rather throw a 93 mph heater down the pipe and challenge a guy then try and nibble and end up walking him. The only thing keeping him from being the best starter in the game is durability and stamina so hopefully those improve.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
Not really. Williams ran a still productive Frank Thomas out of town.

Then, after dispatching his starting CF, Williams, par usual, completely misevaluated his young talent, and traded the only one of 2 rookie CFwho could play, leaving us with a starting CF who couldn't hit. And of course, Williams' poor evaluation skills have been a huge anchor for this organization for years.

The offense wasn't the problem in 2006, it was the starting pitching. If that 2006 team had the 2005 rotation, they would have won well over 100 games.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)
They will almost certainly try and avoid the super 2 designation. When would that be, first week of June?

I don't think that would hold them back if he was needed and ready. It's not that big of a deal to have to pay him a bit more in arbitration.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
it might have been a "handshake" agreement they had on draft day. I really have no idea though Rabbit might be able to fill us in more.

Think that's the general assumption. Could also just be the Sox were comparatively less concerned about Super 2 than just hitting a year of service time with him.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
thanks rabbit. I def agree with their philosophy. Hard to argue with their success in developing pitchers. Now, if they could just get a Don Cooper for the position players...

The position player stuff is coming around. We are starting to see players make major league teams out of our farm system, even if they aren't all with us. The best one is still to come in Anderson.