Internal alternatives to Avisail Garcia

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 12:56 PM)
What does this mean? Are you pointing out that you would prefer Coats? That's fine, but you asked why the Ishikawa love and I answered that his limited appeal is he hits RHP better than our alternatives.

No, I was referencing the Ishikawa references from page 1. I don't know if he'd really hit RHP better than Avi. There's a reason the guy averages about 50 plate appearances per season since 2012.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
The team is 5-2 and in first place. Why do you hope things get better? When people were booing Danks at the home opener the Cleveland broadcast crew said something along the lines of from the sounds of it, you would think the White Sox are 11 games back. Why can't White Sox fans enjoy 5-2? Avi has had a slow start and he probably isn't any good, but he is better than a .160 hitter with a .530 OPS. It would be shocking if Jose Abreu doesn't have a 7 game stretch where he puts up a .530 OPS or less. It happens.

because the Cubs are 6-1

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)
No, I was referencing the Ishikawa references from page 1. I don't know if he'd really hit RHP better than Avi. There's a reason the guy averages about 50 plate appearances per season since 2012.

Because nobody puts up with his suck the way the Sox do with Avi.

No guarantees about Ishikawa though, I'll give you that.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)

Sure there's no guarantee but Avi's splits are pretty awful against RHP, and the sample size isn't exactly small. It wouldn't take much to outdo them.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 06:09 PM)
Because nobody puts up with his suck the way the Sox do with Avi.

No guarantees about Ishikawa though, I'll give you that.

all this is purely conjecture, b/c of the magic of spring training and the stats generated from that time.

players will not maintain what they produce during st, the good and the bad.

but this is fun reading.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 06:12 PM)
Sure there's no guarantee but Avi's splits are pretty awful against RHP, and the sample size isn't exactly small. It wouldn't take much to outdo them.

but i will give you credit, for knowing and seeing what the FO refuse to acknowledge.

my rhetorical question is this, why is that??

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
but i will give you credit, for knowing and seeing what the FO refuse to acknowledge.

my rhetorical question is this, why is that??

Probably because the .1 WAR you might get from Ishikawi over Avi against RHP really isn't worth giving Avi 200 more PA to either close the book on him or to see something in him worth keeping.

It's not like Ishikawi is some righty masher, he's marginally better at best.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 06:28 PM)
Probably because the .1 WAR you might get from Ishikawi over Avi against RHP really isn't worth giving Avi 200 more PA to either close the book on him or to see something in him worth keeping.

It's not like Ishikawi is some righty masher, he's marginally better at best.

based on your train of thought, i agree.

but i am willing to see what avi does in april.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 05:11 PM)
Ishikawa is awful. The fact he's even being mentioned is laughable.

He's the best available alternative within the organization, and I'm pretty confident he'd be an upgrade. No one is looking for a star here, just looking for marginal improvement over a negative value player.

Anderson and May need the reps at Charlotte so I'd leave them there. Sanchez would be a nice bat to call up but not as a DH, his glove should on the field. If Sanchez were called up, the infielders could rotate through the DH spot to get them playing time but i admit that im not so sure thats the best option. I wouldn't bother with Sands or Ishikawa unless an injury happened. Davidson should stay at Charlotte until he shows he can hit for a better BA and cuts down on the K's. Imo, I'd go with Coats since he can play LF which would move Melky to DH.

Another idea could be calling up Sanchez to play 2B, move Melky to DH and see if Lawrie could handle LF. Not saying it's a good idea, just an idea and likely a desperate one at that.

The internal options really do suck at the moment.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 05:54 PM)
The Sox will continue to run Avi out there five days a week because they're looking to see if he's developing as a hitter. I wouldn't expect to see him go anywhere for the next few months.

This is exactly what will happen. I'd guess that if Avi doesn't improve by June, Hahn starts making phone calls but until then the Sox seemingly remain committed to the Avi experiment.

Maybe we will get lucky and Avi will warm up with the weather.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 06:10 PM)
I'm not happy with Avi, but as long as we're winning games, it's hard to be super worried...

But it's so frustrating when w get to that part of the order between Avi, Cabrera, and Avila.

Right, it's frustrating when we get to Melky and his .269 BA, but it's not frustrating when Rollins (.160) or Frazier (.207) are batting. Makes sense

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
That's fine, but the 2 catchers, 2B, LF and SS aren't hitting either.

Now I realize the clear distinction between Avi and the players at those positions. But at some point, this goes beyond making dugout life pleasant for cooper and ventura.

you do realize melky is hitting up to .269 with a .345 obs now which makes him 4 highest average on the team

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 06:29 PM)
Right, it's frustrating when we get to Melky and his .269 BA, but it's not frustrating when Rollins (.160) or Frazier (.207) are batting. Makes sense

You're in the wrong thread. Go cry in the Rollins thread or go start an "I don't understand Todd Frazier thread".

I don't like Rollins either, but this is the Avi Garcia thread.

And Batting average is a useless stat when you haven't played 10 games yet. Frazier has reached base 5 times in the last three games.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 06:29 PM)

We're 7 games into the season, using batting average as an argument makes no sense. But even if you're going that route, Frazier's .207 is still better than Melky's .269. Melky has only hit singles so far, Frazier has multiple hits for extra bases. Prime example of why batting average kind of sucks as a stat.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 05:11 PM)
Ishikawa is awful. The fact he's even being mentioned is laughable.

He's only being mentioned because Avi is that bad. You might think it's laughable but he's likely an upgrade (however slight it is) over Garcia. DH is a big hole right now.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 08:49 PM)
You're in the wrong thread. Go cry in the Rollins thread or go start an "I don't understand Todd Frazier thread".

I don't like Rollins either, but this is the Avi Garcia thread.

And Batting average is a useless stat when you haven't played 10 games yet. Frazier has reached base 5 times in the last three games.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 08:59 PM)
We're 7 games into the season, using batting average as an argument makes no sense. But even if you're going that route, Frazier's .207 is still better than Melky's .269. Melky has only hit singles so far, Frazier has multiple hits for extra bases. Prime example of why batting average kind of sucks as a stat.

Then, AustinIllini, why are you so frustrated when Melky is batting but not frustrated when Frazier/Rollins bats? What stat are you using that makes them better than Melky so far?

OmarComing25, the reason I used BA is because I assumed that's what AustinIllini was using, but I guess he wasn't.