Erik Johnson called up, Shuck sent to AAA

southsider2k5

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)
That could change if Danks clanks another outing.

I really doubt it. Danks has had 2 rough starts. Chris Sale is an ace and he has had 2 rough starts in a row. Last year he had a 4 game stretch where he pitched 23 innings gave up 35 hits and 20 runs in 4 starts, and in 2 starts in 10 1/3 gave up 18 hits and 14 runs. Danks isn't as good as he is. He is expected to have some clunkers.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
I really doubt it. Danks has had 2 rough starts. Chris Sale is an ace and he has had 2 rough starts in a row. Last year he had a 4 game stretch where he pitched 23 innings gave up 35 hits and 20 runs in 4 starts, and in 2 starts in 10 1/3 gave up 18 hits and 14 runs. Danks isn't as good as he is. He is expected to have some clunkers.

This is horrible logic.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)

the only positive thing I have to say is he pitched well in spring training which doesn't count.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)
That could change if Danks clanks another outing.

I think it will take more than that. Danks has a record in the MLB of being servicable. Johnson hasn't shown he's even capable of pitching in the MLB. I would guess they will give Danks at least 6-8 starts.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
This is horrible logic.

So what is the sound logic? Replace Danks with EJ or Gonzalez who have been worse recently? The fact is, your #5 starter isn't going to be stellar every time out. He is going to be awful at times. Even top pitchers are awful some nights.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Problem is folks don't want to hear the truth or logic. If you use the arguments we are hearing about Danks then 3/4 of our line up should be gone already

Danks has an ERA- of roughly 80 since his return from capsule surgery and has been worth 1.3 bWAR over that time, including -.5 bWAR last year. fWAR is slightly kinder at 2.7 This is in a sample of well over 500 post surgery innings.

His velocity this year is at an average of 87.3 MPH. Down a full 2MPH from last year and down over 4MPH from his pre surgery prime.

There is nothing SSS about John Danks piss poor start. He is, at this point in his career, a borderline 5th starter. If he was not being paid what he's being paid there is zero doubt in my mind he'd have been sent out long ago.

As I always, always say: John Danks came back from a surgery no other pitcher has come back from and pitched more than a couple years. That he has even produced any positive WAR in that time is a testement to his dedication and hard work.

But father time is undefeated and so is the surgeon's knife. He is done as an effective MLB pitcher. He was done as soon as he went on under the knife really.

This 2013 article from Colintj at SSS is still a must read on Danks and his injury.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
I don't think Danks has that long of a leash honestly. Some media guys have even mentioned it. I think he gets like 5-6 more starts as well but if he pitches like this all year, they won't keep trotting him out there.

5 or 6 more starts makes sense. Not now. EJ has been not so good. Gonzalez was horrid last year and rabbit posted his advanced numbers vs. Danks since 2012 were about the same. Maybe Turner will be ready to go in a while but right now the alternatives aren't better. If he continues to have trouble every start, he will be replaced. But after 2 is kind of silly unless there was an obvious upgrade just sitting there.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Problem is folks don't want to hear the truth or logic. If you use the arguments we are hearing about Danks then 3/4 of our line up should be gone already

Uhh... while I could agree with Dick that Danks is likely to see more starts. Comparing Sale having a couple bad outings... to Danks having a couple bad outings is not the same thing (the rest of their body of work is vastly different)

So yeah Michael Jordan has a couple of bad games... I'm likely to give him more leeway. Some other much less talented player, with much less history of production doesn't automatically get the same buffer for bad play.

So yeah, while I agree with Dick in one sense... the example was flawed.

Edited by harkness

There is no way they are replacing Danks after 2 starts. Let's not forget that Latos was horrible in ST and still won the 5th starter spot. Now maybe Latos has "found" himself but it is way too early to judge him after 2 starts either. This team did not go into ST with enough SP depth so Latos made the roster by default. But by June we may be screaming for Danks to go and maybe Latos as well. If one of the Top 3 go down, we will raise the white flag early.

QUOTE (harkness @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)
Uhh... while I could agree with Dick that Danks is likely to see more starts. Comparing Sale having a couple bad outings... to Danks having a couple bad outings is not the same thing (the rest of their body of work is vastly different)

So yeah Michael Jordan has a couple of bad games... I'm likely to give him more leeway. Some other much less talented player, with much less history of production doesn't automatically get the same buffer for bad play.

So yeah, while I agree with Dick in one sense... the example was flawed.

I wasn't comparing them as pitchers. I was just pointing out that even Chris Sale has 2 or 3 or 4 bad starts in a row. Dans is going to have them. As will his replacements. If 5th starter types only get 11 bad innings, you might set a roster record.

Edited by Dick Allen