Avi Needs to Go

Dunt

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 01:01 PM)
Avila and Navarro also on 1 year contracts as is Latos. Also lose Frazier and Lawrie the same year as Melky. Just don't see the Sox taking on too much more money with so many holes to fill in the next 2 years, unless its to take a stab at resigning Frazier and I wouldn't count on that.

Unless the Sox become competitive enough to win a playoff round, I think there's a good chance that they go through a significant rebuild in the winter of 2017, as Anderson is their only position player who projects to be an every-day starter. They way they've been operating is unsustainable, and their payroll/lack of winning limits their attractiveness to free agents. I also wouldn't be surprised if Reinsdorf sold the team around that time.

The one thing that you and I can agree on is that the Sox have limited options at DH for the remainder of the season.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 01:25 PM)
Unless the Sox become competitive enough to win a playoff round, I think there's a good chance that they go through a significant rebuild in the winter of 2017, as Anderson is their only position player who projects to be an every-day starter.

Jose Abreu? Adam Eaton?

Unless the Sox become competitive enough to win a playoff round, I think there's a good chance that they go through a significant rebuild in the winter of 2017, as Anderson is their only position player who projects to be an every-day starter. They way they've been operating is unsustainable, and their payroll/lack of winning limits their attractiveness to free agents. I also wouldn't be surprised if Reinsdorf sold the team around that time.

The one thing that you and I can agree on is that the Sox have limited options at DH for the remainder of the season.

There's no chance this team goes through a complete rebuild with this pitching staff. Top 3 starters are possibly the best top 3 in the league. Latos appears to be the real deal (though not signed for 2017) and the bullpen is top notch at least 5 deep. Fulmer is due in 2017. Anderson fills the SS hole in 2017, and all the Sox really need to go outside the org to get is an outfielder and a DH (or 2 OF and move Melky to DH). Plus with Danks off the books there will be plenty of money to deal with.

Jason Coats is hitting .364 with a .977 OPS, 2 homers, 9 RBI's and 8 extra base hits in 17 games for Charlotte.

Surely he should be the one called up when Avi is inevitably sent down to Charlotte to lick his wounds.

QUOTE (glangon @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 05:06 AM)
Jason Coats is hitting .364 with a .977 OPS, 2 homers, 9 RBI's and 8 extra base hits in 17 games for Charlotte.

Surely he should be the one called up when Avi is inevitably sent down to Charlotte to lick his wounds.

Agreed. And I don't know anything about his defense, but I'm sure he is an upgrade over Melky improving the team even more.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
Agreed. And I don't know anything about his defense, but I'm sure he is an upgrade over Melky improving the team even more.

If you want to learn about Jason Coats, start here.

In specific reference to defense, he's an above average defender on the corners, with a fairly strong and very accurate arm. He also plays some CF, but he's stretched there.

Coats is the anti-White Sox outfield prospect. No plus tools, but very little in the way of glaring weaknesses either. The only real issue I think he'd have in the majors is, he's a little too aggressive at the plate (see his low walk totals), and pitchers will take advantage of that. He's been able to get around that and succeed anyway with a combination of quiet load, quick hands and good barrel control. Even with that, I think he'd easily outperform what we are getting from Avi offensively, though Coats won't be spectacular by any means. And defensively he's an upgrade as well, and over Melky, if you DH Melky.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 09:21 AM)
It'd be great to see Coats get a shot. Although, I'd be nervous to move Melky to full time DH with how he's currently performing. I just don't want to mess with his head/routine.

That's a good point. I have zero doubt Coats is a better defender, but there is a psychological aspect involved, so maybe it's not worth the risk. Or maybe you do it only some games, or whatever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 08:24 AM)
For my two cents, I am not changing a thing about Melky right now. He is my #5 hitter and LF until he stops being as hot as he is. I am not chancing changing anything that could throw him out of his rhythm.

That and the fact that he's currently giving Frazier nice protection.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)
There's no chance this team goes through a complete rebuild with this pitching staff. Top 3 starters are possibly the best top 3 in the league. Latos appears to be the real deal (though not signed for 2017) and the bullpen is top notch at least 5 deep. Fulmer is due in 2017. Anderson fills the SS hole in 2017, and all the Sox really need to go outside the org to get is an outfielder and a DH (or 2 OF and move Melky to DH). Plus with Danks off the books there will be plenty of money to deal with.

It's not unprecedented. The Sox had one of the best pitching staffs in AL in the early/mid-90s and, when they didn't win, they traded away Blackjack, Fernandez, Alvarez, and Hernandez in a two-year period.

The Sox will need two SPs, a CF, a DH, a SS, and at least one veteran C next season. (Fulmer and Anderson will fill two of those positions, though it remains to be seen whether either will be better than replacement-level in the majors. And, no, Latos is not "the real deal." Look at his career numbers/injury history.) The following season, they'll need a 3B, a 2B, and a LF. There's no way that they can fill all of those holes with acceptable talent. They're going to have to overspend on free agents (again) and put up with a couple of guys who can't hit (again). That's what happens when your minor league system doesn't produce players that can hit ML pitching.

Personally, I'd like to see the Sox stay in go-for-it mode until July of 2018. All bets should be off at that point. If they're not getting to the playoffs by then, I'd trade Sale, Quintana, and Robertson. I'd try to extend Abreu and Frazier in 2017.

Thankfully, the Sox are currently 13-6, so there's a decent chance that we may not need to worry about that scenario.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
It's not unprecedented. The Sox had one of the best pitching staffs in AL in the early/mid-90s and, when they didn't win, they traded away Blackjack, Fernandez, Alvarez, and Hernandez in a two-year period.

The Sox will need two SPs, a CF, a DH, a SS, and at least one veteran C next season. (Fulmer and Anderson will fill two of those positions, though it remains to be seen whether either will be better than replacement-level in the majors. And, no, Latos is not "the real deal." Look at his career numbers/injury history.) The following season, they'll need a 3B, a 2B, and a LF. There's no way that they can fill all of those holes with acceptable talent. They're going to have to overspend on free agents (again) and put up with a couple of guys who can't hit (again). That's what happens when your minor league system doesn't produce players that can hit ML pitching.

Personally, I'd like to see the Sox stay in go-for-it mode until July of 2018. All bets should be off at that point. If they're not getting to the playoffs by then, I'd trade Sale, Quintana, and Robertson. I'd try to extend Abreu and Frazier in 2017.

Thankfully, the Sox are currently 13-6, so there's a decent chance that we may not need to worry about that scenario.

This past offseason, the Sox got a new 2B, 3B, CF, SS, 2 C, and a SP without spending much money or giving up much talent, so I'm not sure why you say there's "no way" to fill all the holes with acceptable talent when they literally just did that with more holes to fill. It'll be difficult, sure, but not impossible. A lot can happen in 2 years too, seeing as how literally no position player from opening day 2013 is even on the team anymore.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 09:21 AM)
It'd be great to see Coats get a shot. Although, I'd be nervous to move Melky to full time DH with how he's currently performing. I just don't want to mess with his head/routine.

Agreed, he's playing a solid LF too right now, no need to throw Coats out there. That said, Coats can definitely take ABs at DH. Giving them to Avi is just continuing to be a waste.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 11:54 AM)
This past offseason, the Sox got a new 2B, 3B, CF, SS, 2 C, and a SP without spending much money or giving up much talent, so I'm not sure why you say there's "no way" to fill all the holes with acceptable talent when they literally just did that with more holes to fill. It'll be difficult, sure, but not impossible. A lot can happen in 2 years too, seeing as how literally no position player from opening day 2013 is even on the team anymore.

While that is true, the Sox have traded away most of their halfway decent minor leaguers (Semien, Trayce, Phegley) and have far less depth than what they had a year or two ago. They can't draw from that well forever. They had to swing a three-team deal to land Frazier, since the Reds were unimpressed with the Sox's prospects.

Also, the SS, 2Cs, and SP are one-year rentals, which means that the Sox will have the same problem next year. Rollins and Avila are marginal ML starters at this point in their careers, and I'll be very happy if we get half a season of productivity from Latos.

So, yeah, the Sox are able to fill all of these holes using their current strategy. The problem is that they're forced to take a lot of veterans off of the scrap heap.

QUOTE (glangon @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 05:06 AM)

Avi's pride might be hurt but I believe he has enjoyed a meteoric rise to the majors while some R and R at charlotte may rejuvenate his bat and defense

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 07:24 AM)
For my two cents, I am not changing a thing about Melky right now. He is my #5 hitter and LF until he stops being as hot as he is. I am not chancing changing anything that could throw him out of his rhythm.

Exactly what I was gonna say. Don't f*** with that guy right now

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 12:06 PM)
While that is true, the Sox have traded away most of their halfway decent minor leaguers (Semien, Trayce, Phegley) and have far less depth than what they had a year or two ago. They can't draw from that well forever. They had to swing a three-team deal to land Frazier, since the Reds were unimpressed with the Sox's prospects.

Also, the SS, 2Cs, and SP are one-year rentals, which means that the Sox will have the same problem next year. Rollins and Avila are marginal ML starters at this point in their careers, and I'll be very happy if we get half a season of productivity from Latos.

So, yeah, the Sox are able to fill all of these holes using their current strategy. The problem is that they're forced to take a lot of veterans off of the scrap heap.

You will have Anderson step in at SS next year. Fulmer will grab one rotation spot. May will take over for AJax. The only real question is how the team addresses the catcher position and DH. Cervelli is a nice option behind the plate, I bet he'll be a target. Edwin Encarnion at DH? Sounds like a disgusting middle of the order. Maybe Brandon Moss for much cheaper? They'll have options next year. I think it'll be interesting what they decide to do with that last rotation spot personally. Do they just hand it over to Johnson? A potential lineup of something like this next year is very enticing:

RF Eaton

C Cervelli

1B Abreu

3B Frazier

LF Cabrera

2B Lawrie

DH Moss

SS Anderson

CF May

SP Sale

SP Quintana

SP Fulmer

SP Rodon

SP Johnson

That's pretty nasty.

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
You will have Anderson step in at SS next year. Fulmer will grab one rotation spot. May will take over for AJax. The only real question is how the team addresses the catcher position and DH. Cervelli is a nice option behind the plate, I bet he'll be a target. Edwin Encarnion at DH? Sounds like a disgusting middle of the order. Maybe Brandon Moss for much cheaper? They'll have options next year. I think it'll be interesting what they decide to do with that last rotation spot personally. Do they just hand it over to Johnson? A potential lineup of something like this next year is very enticing:

RF Eaton

C Cervelli

1B Abreu

3B Frazier

LF Cabrera

2B Lawrie

DH Moss

SS Anderson

CF May

SP Sale

SP Quintana

SP Fulmer

SP Rodon

SP Johnson

That's pretty nasty.

I wouldn't rely on May taking over in center to start 2017. I'm not convinced at this point. Engel in the same boat. It's possible one is ready by then, but I'd go under 50/50 for that to be the case.

Anderson and Fulmer have risk too, as any prospect does, but I think there chances are good enough to consider them a Plan A for now. I wouldn't say that for May.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
I wouldn't rely on May taking over in center to start 2017. I'm not convinced at this point. Engel in the same boat. It's possible one is ready by then, but I'd go under 50/50 for that to be the case.

Anderson and Fulmer have risk too, as any prospect does, but I think there chances are good enough to consider them a Plan A for now. I wouldn't say that for May.

You could target a guy like Reddick and switch Eaton back over to center and carry May as a 4th OFer which would give the team pretty nice depth and good speed off the bench.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
You could target a guy like Reddick and switch Eaton back over to center and carry May as a 4th OFer which would give the team pretty nice depth and good speed off the bench.

I'm all for Reddick, but good luck landing him. Especially in this winter's thin FA market.

Edited by Black_Jack29