For Jas, Cerbaho-WG or anyone who cares to comment

aboz56

Borch and Rauch didnt get called up mainly because in the thick of a peenant race the number of Sept. callups are limited as to not mess with the team chemistry and to wait money calling up guys who are gonna sit the bench.  Both Miles and Adkins outplayed Borch and Rauch and that is why they got called up.  I assume Joe is gonna go back to PR for winterball, but I dont know about Jon.

Winningugly dont get so caught up in Joe returning to football becuz it aint gonna happen.  I bet Joe has a really good year next year.  I would think he is still definitely in the Sox plans.  But for Rauch I dont know.

As for Neal and I, Neal is heading out to the Fall League on the 25th and Im stuck here in instructs till Oct. 4 then I m heading back to school to get 5 more classes under my belt. 

Rex you may be interested to know that I am being totally changed into a Kelly Wunsch clone.  It felt a little awkward at first but I actually have picked it up pretty quick and I think its gonna end up getting me to the Show a lot quicker.

Thanks Bullard, enjoy your posts.

Rex you may be interested to know that I am being totally changed into a Kelly Wunsch clone. It felt a little awkward at first but I actually have picked it up pretty quick and I think its gonna end up getting me to the Show a lot quicker.

Very interesting....

Three questions come to mind....

1. Why? You seemed to adapt to the bullpen quite nicely this year so the timing seems odd to me.

2. Whose idea was the change?

3. You seem to have accepted and perhaps even embraced the change, but what was your initial thoughts/reaction?

Borch and Rauch didnt get called up mainly because in the thick of a peenant race the number of Sept. callups are limited as to not mess with the team chemistry and to wait money calling up guys who are gonna sit the bench.  Both Miles and Adkins outplayed Borch and Rauch and that is why they got called up.  I assume Joe is gonna go back to PR for winterball, but I dont know about Jon.

Winningugly dont get so caught up in Joe returning to football becuz it aint gonna happen.  I bet Joe has a really good year next year.  I would think he is still definitely in the Sox plans.  But for Rauch I dont know.

As for Neal and I, Neal is heading out to the Fall League on the 25th and Im stuck here in instructs till Oct. 4 then I m heading back to school to get 5 more classes under my belt. 

Rex you may be interested to know that I am being totally changed into a Kelly Wunsch clone.  It felt a little awkward at first but I actually have picked it up pretty quick and I think its gonna end up getting me to the Show a lot quicker.

Hey Bull good for you, stay in school and get that degree! I am glad to see you are sticking with that. That way even if the big time doesn't work out, you still have a future. Thanks again for all of the info this year. Don't be a stranger and keep us posted on what happens over the winter and spring.

Bull:

Thanks for the info. Sox fans appreciate your candor -- and await your arrival at 35th and Dan Ryan. There's ALWAYS room in the pen for a quality lefty to help Marte, Wunsch, Sanders, Schoeneweis.

Not worried about Borchard going football. But I read something in Baseball America that asked whether he would be tempted, considering his struggles this season. He DOES have to cut back on his strikeouts.

As for Rauch, he remains a mystery, considering how highly touted he was a few years ago.

Good luck in school

Bull:

Thanks for the info. Sox fans appreciate your candor -- and await your arrival at 35th and Dan Ryan. There's ALWAYS room in the pen for a quality lefty to help Marte, Wunsch, Sanders, Schoeneweis.

Not worried about Borchard going football. But I read something in Baseball America that asked whether he would be tempted, considering his struggles this season. He DOES have to cut back on his strikeouts.

As for Rauch, he remains a mystery, considering how highly touted he was a few years ago.

Good luck in school

Did Rauch gain back any of his speed at the end of the year? Is it possible that the surgery he had just took that long to recover from, or is this guy done?

Gotta keep in mind that Borchard only started ONE game in college. He was a backup QB and was on track to be the starter the next year, after the Sox drafted him. Yes, he had talent, but I think Mel Kiper and the boys are overstating things a bit when they say he was a potential 1st Round draft pick.

For a guy to try and go back to football and play in the NFL after not playing since 1999 when he was a backup, would be awfully difficult, if not impossible.

I wonder how much that wrist injury is bothering him.

Maybe it would be a good idea if he took a mental break ... he's been playing baseball non-stop since he signed.

I'm not surprised the brass is disappointed he's not going to winter ball, though. I really believe this is a guy they had penciled into the 2004 Opening Day lineup, they expected his strike zone judgement to progress this year when in fact it regressed.

I hope the mental break from baseball refreshes him and he can start realizing all the potential. I'd say it's a cinch he repeats AAA for at least 1/2 of 2004.

The problem for Borchard is that Reed has overtaken him as a prospect. Reed is more of what the Sox need -- a guy who can get on base and is not dependent upon the long ball to be productive. Plus, everything I've read suggests Reed is the better outfielder. And he's a left-handed hitter, which the Sox also need to break up the lineup.

A Row is also more likely to get a shot than Borchard.

So if Maggs and Lee come back, with A Row and Reed around, there's not really a spot for Borchard.

Hard to envision him playing a third year at Charlotte.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox package Borchard in a deal for a young SS or second baseman.

we'll see.

Bull:

Good luck in school

Did Rauch gain back any of his speed at the end of the year? Is it possible that the surgery he had just took that long to recover from, or is this guy done?

When I was there in mid August they said that he was throwing under 90 and was pretty much a junker most of the year. That being said his curve impressed me last year and I don't know how it could be worse.

I say give him this offseason and see if he comes out fresh and healthy next year. The big thing for him is his pitches don't have a ton of velocity. The problem is...I think his velocity this year was down from last year when he was with the Sox.

The problem for Borchard is that Reed has overtaken him as a prospect. Reed is more of what the Sox need -- a guy who can get on base and is not dependent upon the long ball to be productive. Plus, everything I've read suggests Reed is the better outfielder. And he's a left-handed hitter, which the Sox also need to break up the lineup.

A Row is also more likely to get a shot than Borchard.

So if Maggs and Lee come back, with A Row and Reed around, there's not really a spot for Borchard.

Hard to envision him playing a third year at Charlotte.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox package Borchard in a deal for a young SS or second baseman.

we'll see.

I agree with you. Look for a team that has an abundancy at shortstop or is in the need of outfield depth to make a move.

Maybe the Sox and Braves swap dissapointing prospects (Betemeit for Borchard)...who knows.

When I was there in mid August they said that he was throwing under 90 and was pretty much a junker most of the year.  That being said his curve impressed me last year and I don't know how it could be worse.

I say give him this offseason and see if he comes out fresh and healthy next year.  The big thing for him is his pitches don't have a ton of velocity.  The problem is...I think his velocity this year was down from last year when he was with the Sox.

Its sad really. I still remember watching him pitch against Cuba in the 2000 Olympics and he was filthy. His curveball was awesome and his fastball was up in the mid 90s. This is one of the reasons I'm usually in favor of going for it all when you have a chance, you can never count on prospects being great major leaguers no matter how talented they are.

Rex,

The drop down deal was our pitching coordinator, Kirk Champion's, idea. I am all for it because from what he and the other coaches have been telling me that I could be in the bigs quicker this way as a Kelly Wunsch type guy. So I am going to give it a go and see what happens. It is really weird. Its feels like I am 5 yrs. old again and learning to throw for the first time. After 7 days of it I have found an arm slot that will work but I havent been able to throw strikes on a consistent basis yet. It gets a little frustrating but hell its only been a week!! I am gonna continue to work my ass off to get it before I leave instructs. If it just aint gonna work then I'll go back to the old bull and pump sliders and 2 seamers all day. I just hope I can remember where my old arm slot is.

Bull

Rex,

The drop down deal was our pitching coordinator, Kirk Champion's, idea.  I am all for it because from what he and the other coaches have been telling me that I could be in the bigs quicker this way as a Kelly Wunsch type guy.  So I am going to give it a go and see what happens.  It is really weird.  Its feels like I am 5 yrs. old again and learning to throw for the first time.  After 7 days of it I have found an arm slot that will work but I havent been able to throw strikes on a consistent basis yet.  It gets a little frustrating but hell its only been a week!!  I am gonna continue to work my ass off to get it before I leave instructs.  If it just aint gonna work then I'll go back to the old bull and pump sliders and 2 seamers all day.  I just hope I can remember where my old arm slot is. 

Bull

J-Bull, Soxtalk's favorite south paw from the southern league..... wait Cotts is a lefty too.... Favorite South Paw reliever from the Southern League.

Im just wondering where you see yourself next year? Contending for a pen spot in Chitown? Up in Charlotte, or spending another year with the Barons, tyring to get more into your reliever role.

Thanks alot Jim, and I think I can speak for everyone when i say that were all in your corner and hope one day we can sit behind ya in the left field bleechers, and yell things at ya when ya warm up.

Rex,

The drop down deal was our pitching coordinator, Kirk Champion's, idea.  I am all for it because from what he and the other coaches have been telling me that I could be in the bigs quicker this way as a Kelly Wunsch type guy.  So I am going to give it a go and see what happens.  It is really weird.  Its feels like I am 5 yrs. old again and learning to throw for the first time.  After 7 days of it I have found an arm slot that will work but I havent been able to throw strikes on a consistent basis yet.  It gets a little frustrating but hell its only been a week!!  I am gonna continue to work my ass off to get it before I leave instructs.  If it just aint gonna work then I'll go back to the old bull and pump sliders and 2 seamers all day.  I just hope I can remember where my old arm slot is. 

Bull

Well good luck with it. I hope you find a slot that you can be consistent with and get good movement from. Hope I don't see ya back in Birmingham next year. :)

Thanks alot Jim, and I think I can speak for everyone when i say that were all in your corner and hope one day we can sit behind ya in the left field bleechers, and yell things at ya when ya warm up.

yeah, things like........

"You Suck"

"Get Somebody out will, ya?"

"Throw some strikes for a change today"

You know, all the good warm fuzzy things, fans like to yell at pitchers as they warm up.

;)

yeah, things like........

"You Suck"

"Get Somebody out will, ya?"

"Throw some strikes for a change today"

You know, all the good warm fuzzy things, fans like to yell at pitchers as they warm up.

;)

Well there is also,

"hurry up and get Bullard in the game, (insert pitchers name here) sucks!"