Sale start pushed back to Tuesday

Jose Abreu

They're gonna keep Erik Johnson around today in case Latos gets murdered (Texas was scoring like 7 runs a game until they came to Chicago) and call up Gonzalez the instant the game ends. I'd almost guarantee it.

The question I have is whether this is a spot start for Gonzalez to alleviate the wear and tear from 19 straight game, or the first step in the The End of John Danks. Maybe both.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 08:33 AM)
Oh boy, hope it's nothing relating to injury.

You really need to work on your mind set. You're a great guy . Have never seen you be anything but gracious and poised but damn it doesn't always have to be worst case scenario as your 1st thought.

I'm sure he's fine just a lot of games and one thing the Sox always do is try to protect Sale's arm as much as possible, It's actually quite admirable they do that, because one year the Sox will make the playoffs and Sale will have to pitch into a post season and then a season after that. The innings will pile up and they are just protecting the biggest asset they have,

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
The Sox are really at the point with Danks of, "Are we better off giving somebody else these last 27-29 starts?"

Once the answer is Yes, you release Danks and eat the money. I'm not sure they're there yet.

Or do you give him a chance in the pen? He might provide some value as a long-man and/or LOOGY.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
They're gonna keep Erik Johnson around today in case Latos gets murdered (Texas was scoring like 7 runs a game until they came to Chicago) and call up Gonzalez the instant the game ends. I'd almost guarantee it.

The question I have is whether this is a spot start for Gonzalez to alleviate the wear and tear from 19 straight game, or the first step in the The End of John Danks. Maybe both.

If that's the theory, then they need to leave him up because Toronto and Baltimore have a more imposing lineup than Texas, despite early season stats. And if anyone will need some long-reliever backup, it's Gonzalez.

As frustrating as Danks is, it's unlikely Sox have a better 5th starter option than Danks, unless EJ gets his act together. And at least the Sox only need him as #5, in contrast to the last few years.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
Or do you give him a chance in the pen? He might provide some value as a long-man and/or LOOGY.

I've heard people say that's not an option with him because he takes a long time to warm up. FWIW.

i think EJ gets the start with Danks to the pen as the long man in case he screws up.

Gonzalez's starts moved to mirror EJ's in case EJ has issues and needs to be optioned back to Charlotte.

That would give them 2 righties in the rotation which is what they've been after all along.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
The Sox are really at the point with Danks of, "Are we better off giving somebody else these last 27-29 starts?"

Once the answer is Yes, you release Danks and eat the money. I'm not sure they're there yet.

Not sure that's going to happen as long as Latos gives them good starts and the bullpen keeps performing. The offense needs more help than the pitching staff.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)

This seems very reasonable it also allows them to break in Smith some familiarity as a battery mate with either Johnson or Gonzalez. If Latos pitches well I think they give Johnson the opportunity to start with Smith tomorrow if Johnson gets used today then Gonzalez comes up. The more the sox can skip Danks with out putting a strain on the staff the better.