Early Trade Speculation

hi8is

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The great thing about the Sox need for a hitter is it could be someone who plays any position since the opening is at DH. Depending on who is acquired, you can do a rotation of sorts giving guys a break.

It's a heck of a lot better position to be in than having to find a specific position.

And they don't need an ace or a #2 or a #3 pitcher. So if their internals don't pan out, there should be some guys to choose from at the deadline for a reasonable price.

As long as no one major doesn't get hurt, they are in really good shape to add to the team without sacrificing their top prospects.

Betances or Miller would be sweet, although probably costing an arm and a leg. Betances is seemingly one of their untouchables...although Gardner, Beltran and A-Rod could all potentially find new homes. Maybe Teixeira, depending on how much money they're willing to send along with him.

Giles with the Astros would be someone Don Cooper should be monitoring to see if there's a quick mechanical fix or "tell."

"Superpen" here we come.

I feel like almost all of the AL will be "in it".

If the Astros are just eating it this year, Rasmus would be a nice player to look at.

For pitching, going to be tough. Most likely need to look at NL crap teams.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 5, 2016 -> 08:52 AM)
i don't know why people keep insisting on feeding the trolls. Ignore them and they go away.

eh, if everyone agreed on everything, this would all be boring :D

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 5, 2016 -> 08:05 AM)
The great thing about the Sox need for a hitter is it could be someone who plays any position since the opening is at DH. Depending on who is acquired, you can do a rotation of sorts giving guys a break.

It's a heck of a lot better position to be in than having to find a specific position.

And they don't need an ace or a #2 or a #3 pitcher. So if their internals don't pan out, there should be some guys to choose from at the deadline for a reasonable price.

As long as no one major doesn't get hurt, they are in really good shape to add to the team without sacrificing their top prospects.

Double negative.

But they're limited seemingly in Hahn leaning in the direction of a left-handed bat, and even more specifically if he's looking for power moreso than OBP.

For this to be a playoff team, Rodon's going to have to step it up because Latos is due for a regression...or the offense needs one more impact hitter to put it over the top.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)
I feel like almost all of the AL will be "in it".

If the Astros are just eating it this year, Rasmus would be a nice player to look at.

For pitching, going to be tough. Most likely need to look at NL crap teams.

Not to mention the fact that the Phillies have mostly young, high impact starters who they're going to be unwilling to trade in Nola, Velasquez, Eickhoff, etc.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 5, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
Chris Coughlan is probably available. He was pretty popular earlier this year. Adam Lind might be able to be had.

Both have really sucked, but you have to figure A. lowers their price and B. regression to the mean would suggest they are due to get hot.

I feel like the Mariners are going to ride this out. AL West looks chaotic.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 5, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
Chris Coughlan is probably available. He was pretty popular earlier this year. Adam Lind might be able to be had.

Both have really sucked, but you have to figure A. lowers their price and B. regression to the mean would suggest they are due to get hot.

I like the Coghlan idea. A guy you can DH but also plug in around the field.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
What about Michael Saunders...any chance we have a piece as attractive as what Texas was giving up?

Toronto had that PED guy and Saunders is doing pretty well, and they were acquiring Jay Bruce, so I doubt he is available. At least at a price the Sox would be willing to pay.

For instant gratification, you would have to think Bruce is probably the best bet. But as long as they have a lead, the White Sox can buy some time and wait for something better.

Edited by Dick Allen

And the answer is Trayce Thompson, Avisail Garcia, Marcus Semien.

What is name 3 players out-hitting the "elite" Todd Frazier, Alex.

But please trade 4 more young players for another proven veteran, Kenny Hahn. Even though it is a proven counterproductive strategy, it gives fans temporary succor and allows them to "dream again"

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 5, 2016 -> 10:57 PM)

But please trade 4 more young players for another proven veteran, Kenny Hahn. Even though it is a proven counterproductive strategy, it gives fans temporary succor and allows them to "dream again"

Just one time I'd love to see you actually argue a point rather than making grand statements, I assume you do this for the sole purpose of entertaining yourself? You fail to back up any of your arguments with any real hard evidence, it makes your posts utterly worthless. Anyone can just type words, it's quite easy, it's another thing to actually make them matter. You must really hate it when one of the vets succeeds, I bet it just tears you up inside. Enjoy your bubble of misery.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 5, 2016 -> 11:25 PM)
Just one time I'd love to see you actually argue a point rather than making grand statements, I assume you do this for the sole purpose of entertaining yourself? You fail to back up any of your arguments with any real hard evidence, it makes your posts utterly worthless. Anyone can just type words, it's quite easy, it's another thing to actually make them matter. You must really hate it when one of the vets succeeds, I bet it just tears you up inside. Enjoy your bubble of misery.

Don't even waste your time. Either he's trolling us or he's the dumbest person of all time. Either way his posts are pure garbage and should be ignored.

Somehow we had "succor" and a "bubble of misery" in the same sequence.

At least the imagery is evocative.

If we still had HERO Jake Peavy on the bump, we'd be in really sad shape like the Giants are with both him and Matt Cain.

Now, that said, it's fair to question trading for players with limited windows (2 years or less, especially if they leave as FA's without compensation)...if there's a string of successes from players like Semien and Thompson. The jury's far from out on that one, though, and the White Sox would tell you they sold high on both Trayce and Montas in order to bring Frazier on board.

We haven't had much luck trading some of our own heroes as well, like Addison Reed and Sergio Santos. The Edwin Jackson trade also comes to mind, although that was complicated by the financial desire to get out from under the commitment to Teahen (partially).

Just go away. You're such a broken record.

First place sucks.

Frazier has played great defense at 3B and is on pace for another 30 homer season though. To this point: Frazier (1.0 bWAR), Garcia (0.4 bWAR), Trayce (-0.0 bWAR), and Semien (0.5 bWAR).

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 6, 2016 -> 07:30 AM)
I honestly wouldn't mind giving Tommy Milone a chance. He couldn't be any worse than Danks or EJ.

I wouldnt be so sure of that. The Twins rotation is not that good, and they are cutting Milone

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2016 -> 10:59 PM)
Somehow we had "succor" and a "bubble of misery" in the same sequence.

At least the imagery is evocative.

If we still had HERO Jake Peavy on the bump, we'd be in really sad shape like the Giants are with both him and Matt Cain.

Now, that said, it's fair to question trading for players with limited windows (2 years or less, especially if they leave as FA's without compensation)...if there's a string of successes from players like Semien and Thompson. The jury's far from out on that one, though, and the White Sox would tell you they sold high on both Trayce and Montas in order to bring Frazier on board.

We haven't had much luck trading some of our own heroes as well, like Addison Reed and Sergio Santos. The Edwin Jackson trade also comes to mind, although that was complicated by the financial desire to get out from under the commitment to Teahen (partially).

What happened to Teahen? I remember his wife posting here after the trade.