Early Trade Speculation

hi8is

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 24, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
Beltran should be an option for the White Sox.

QUOTE (Special K @ May 24, 2016 -> 12:56 PM)
I think Texeira should also be on Sox radar.

What makes you think that the Yankees aren't trying to compete this season? They're a .500 team and are only 5.5 games back.

Teixeira is having a terrible year. Beltran would be the guy to go after but, again, the Yankees don't really look like sellers right now and the Sox don't have anything to offer in return besides Anderson and Fulmer.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ May 24, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)
What makes you think that the Yankees aren't trying to compete this season? They're a .500 team and are only 5.5 games back.

Teixeira is having a terrible year. Beltran would be the guy to go after but, again, the Yankees don't really look like sellers right now and the Sox don't have anything to offer in return besides Anderson and Fulmer.

Beltran wouldnt cost anything approaching Anderson or Fulmer

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 24, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
Beltran wouldnt cost anything approaching Anderson or Fulmer

Yes, but the Sox don't have a lesser player in their system who is good enough to make a deal for Beltran worth it to the Yankees. The Yankees are a competitive team and aren't hurting for money, so what incentive do they have to trade him?

Realistically, the Sox are going to have to make deals for players with big contracts on bad teams that are looking to move salary off the books. That would include guys like Bruce, Markakis, Shields, Ervin Santana, etc.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ May 24, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
Yes, but the Sox don't have a lesser player in their system who is good enough to make a deal for Beltran worth it to the Yankees. The Yankees are a competitive team and aren't hurting for money, so what incentive do they have to trade him?

Realistically, the Sox are going to have to make deals for players with big contracts on bad teams that are looking to move salary off the books. That would include guys like Bruce, Markakis, Shields, Ervin Santana, etc.

Ethier depending on when he comes back (I post this without knowing how the Dodgers outfield is doing).

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ May 24, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
Ethier depending on when he comes back (I post this without knowing how the Dodgers outfield is doing).

But then he'll have to re-establish his value...like the Rockies waited for on CarGo, the Reds with Bruce (and now Votto), etc.

Their first priority would be to dump Carl Crawford, and it's going to look quite a bit like the Josh Hamilton to the Rangers' deal.

Look at CarGo's stats, now that he has cooled off. He has pretty much the same line as Avi. When you factor in that he is playing in the N.L. and in Colorado, he doesn't seem very intriguing, especially with that contract.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ May 24, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)

Main problem with Beltran is he can block trade to sox

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 24, 2016 -> 05:13 PM)
Look at CarGo's stats, now that he has cooled off. He has pretty much the same line as Avi. When you factor in that he is playing in the N.L. and in Colorado, he doesn't seem very intriguing, especially with that contract.

CarGo actually has higher average and obp on the road vs at home this year and is hitting right handers alot better the avi.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

The other problem with CarGo is he's giving you negative WAR at the moment.

I'm not sure you want to upset the current OF dynamic and put Melky at DH, although that's probably what would happen because of CarGo's reputation. Same thing would be true of someone like Parra, who, if you look just at his offensive stats, looks like a fine contributor but he must be grading out terribly on defense to be so low in WAR.

All we can do is hang in there until the middle of June and wait for the market to emerge. I suppose theoretically someone like Shuck, Hayes or Coats could be recalled if there's no other choice, but I still think Ventura won't trust an unproven rookie hitter over a veteran, even someone like Carlos Sanchez.

What I would really like to know is why the Tigers and Royals were all over Jackie Bradley, Jr., after the 2014 season and we weren't even sniffing around.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 24, 2016 -> 05:35 PM)
The other problem with CarGo is he's giving you negative WAR at the moment.

I'm not sure you want to upset the current OF dynamic and put Melky at DH, although that's probably what would happen because of CarGo's reputation. Same thing would be true of someone like Parra, who, if you look just at his offensive stats, looks like a fine contributor but he must be grading out terribly on defense to be so low in WAR.

All we can do is hang in there until the middle of June and wait for the market to emerge. I suppose theoretically someone like Shuck, Hayes or Coats could be recalled if there's no other choice, but I still think Ventura won't trust an unproven rookie hitter over a veteran, even someone like Carlos Sanchez.

What I would really like to know is why the Tigers and Royals were all over Jackie Bradley, Jr., after the 2014 season and we weren't even sniffing around.

I definitely wouldn't be putting him in outfield. Would be dhing to keep him healthy

Jimmy, it's not that they are the ONLY ones.

Honestly, if you were an opposing team's GM, who would you accept back in trade and (theoretically) project as a (potential) major league regular at this point in time?

Obviously, Adams is the other big name.

May and Trey M. are far from certainties at this point. We have lots of interesting "pieces" like Danish, Guerrero, Jordan Stephens, Thompson...but I'm not sure if you bundled those four pitchers together what that would get you. Clearly, non-elite veteran relievers are obtainable. But it's not going to come close to getting you a Swihart or Gary Sanchez. Hickman has a chance, IMO, as well.

Courtney Hawkins has a lot of buzz around him (residual) due to his status as a first-rounder, but has never been able to stay both healthy AND productive and is looking more and more like an Avisail Garcia whose primary value will have to come from hitting homers. Engel's value has dipped as well.

Hitters like Coats, Hayes and Delmonico...?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 24, 2016 -> 06:17 PM)
Jimmy, it's not that they are the ONLY ones.

Honestly, if you were an opposing team's GM, who would you accept back in trade and (theoretically) project as a (potential) major league regular at this point in time?

Obviously, Adams is the other big name.

May and Trey M. are far from certainties at this point. We have lots of interesting "pieces" like Danish, Guerrero, Jordan Stephens, Thompson...but I'm not sure if you bundled those four pitchers together what that would get you. Clearly, non-elite veteran relievers are obtainable. But it's not going to come close to getting you a Swihart or Gary Sanchez. Hickman has a chance, IMO, as well.

Courtney Hawkins has a lot of buzz around him (residual) due to his status as a first-rounder, but has never been able to stay both healthy AND productive and is looking more and more like an Avisail Garcia whose primary value will have to come from hitting homers. Engel's value has dipped as well.

Hitters like Coats, Hayes and Delmonico...?

It depends on who it's for. Ervin Santana's, Jay Bruce's and Carlos Beltran's don't bring back Fulmer or Anderson. The Sox have made trades for years with a "bad" farm system. Now they actually have some guys in the lower minors. I think Engel and Adams are probably the pieces. We aren't talking about getting Sonny Gray or Aroldis Chapman here. People act like they'd have to include Anderson to acquire anyone. It's nonsense.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 24, 2016 -> 06:21 PM)
It depends on who it's for. Ervin Santana's, Jay Bruce's and Carlos Beltran's don't bring back Fulmer or Anderson. The Sox have made trades for years with a "bad" farm system. Now they actually have some guys in the lower minors. I think Engel and Adams are probably the pieces. We aren't talking about getting Sonny Gray or Aroldis Chapman here. People act like they'd have to include Anderson to acquire anyone. It's nonsense.

Again, why would the Yankees, who have a talented team, are playing .500 ball, and have more money than God be interested in giving us fair trade value for Beltran? Beltran is currently posting an .822 OPS and would only save the Yankees $12M or so. That's peanuts for a team carrying a $214M payroll. If the Sox wanted Beltran, they'd have to overwhelm the Yankees to the point where they couldn't say no.

Comparing Beltran's current trade value to that of Bruce and Santana is also silly. The latter two play for bad teams in small markets, and both franchises have strong incentive to dump salary. Santana is also under contract through 2018 and is owed way more money than the other two. The Sox would have to give up a better minor league package for Beltran than Bruce. The Sox could probably get Santana for a bag of Big League Chew if they agreed to take on all of his remaining contract.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ May 24, 2016 -> 07:36 PM)
Again, why would the Yankees, who have a talented team, are playing .500 ball, and have more money than God be interested in giving us fair trade value for Beltran? Beltran is currently posting an .822 OPS and would only save the Yankees $12M or so. That's peanuts for a team carrying a $214M payroll. If the Sox wanted Beltran, they'd have to overwhelm the Yankees to the point where they couldn't say no.

Comparing Beltran's current trade value to that of Bruce and Santana is also silly. The latter two play for bad teams in small markets, and both franchises have strong incentive to dump salary. Santana is also under contract through 2018 and is owed way more money than the other two. The Sox would have to give up a better minor league package for Beltran than Bruce. The Sox could probably get Santana for a bag of Big League Chew if they agreed to take on all of his remaining contract.

Again if Beltran wont waive his no trade clause to come to the Sox it's a moot point

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

Morneau was supposed to be able to start swinging a bat in June. It's almost June, so how is his recovery coming?

He wouldn't need to do much more than swing a bat, if they let him DH. Could he be ready to hit after the All Star break?

Lillian, please refer to Kendrys Morales when he missed the first two months of the 2014 season because of the QO.

Lost cause trying to get him back in hitting condition and throwing him into the heat of a pennant race. It would be not unlike the Manny Ramirez deal in 2010.

Ok, Caulfield. I'll accept that as a valid reason to abandon any hope of Morneau being able to contribute this season.

I had read that he might be able to contribute somewhere, in the second half. You are probably right.

Thanks

The only way to have Lucroy on your team is NOT having Anderson to bring up because he was just traded.

UNLESS the White Sox were also willing to take on all of Ryan Braun's contract as well...which you know JR will never do.

What would be your proposed trade that DOESN'T involve Anderson?

Fulmer for a rental? Hahn won't do that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2016 -> 07:29 PM)
The only way to have Lucroy on your team is NOT having Anderson to bring up because he was just traded.

UNLESS the White Sox were also willing to take on all of Ryan Braun's contract as well...which you know JR will never do.

What would be your proposed trade that DOESN'T involve Anderson?

Fulmer for a rental? Hahn won't do that.

A package built around Adams might be able to get you Lucroy.