Lawrie

Jake

I don't wade too deeply into game threads, so I'm curious how people are feeling about this guy. Obviously, his numbers are pretty good, but it's early.

The way I see it, there are some reasons for optimism, but there's also no single part of his game where I feel like I know for certain what he's got. He's never had a terrible bat, so I'm not worried about a Beckham-esque slide into terrible-ness, but it's also far from certain that he keeps up his current pace. Even beyond that, I'm not sure if he's going to continue to show some pop, draw walks, or strike out so much.

On defense, he's made a few very high-difficulty plays, but especially here in Baltimore a few boners. It could be the bias of the recent gaffes, but to me he doesn't look very natural receiving the ball. Maybe it's that he looks like a 3B playing 2B, I'm not sure.

And I haven't even decided what I think about his attitude. I was never a huge fan of him as a non-Sox, but he does seem to bring some nice balance to the mix of personalities. With that said, I'm not sure if any of us would be surprised if we heard that he was really irritating people or started playing poorly because he lost his cool.

What are other folks thinking about Lawrie? Was this a steal? Will he be a fixture going forward?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a guy making $4 million per year who is on his way to a 4.0 WAR season (if he keeps this pace up), I don't think anyone can complain about anything concerning him. I don't think he'll ever be the All-Star people thought he was going to be as a prospect or after his initial call-up with Toronto, but he should be a borderline top-10 2B going forward for the next few years.

Edited by maggsmaggs

I have not seen the Baltimore games, so I can't comment on those gaffes. I was thrilled with his defense prior, especially with his turns on double plays which are smooth. I figured his arm could make up for that but it hasn't needed to.

Overall, I feel super confident he'll put in a tough at bat and see pitches.

Considering how cheap he was in talent and cost, I feel great about him. Nice to have one position removed from the "needs upgrade" status

QUOTE (Jake @ May 1, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
I don't wade too deeply into game threads, so I'm curious how people are feeling about this guy. Obviously, his numbers are pretty good, but it's early.

The way I see it, there are some reasons for optimism, but there's also no single part of his game where I feel like I know for certain what he's got. He's never had a terrible bat, so I'm not worried about a Beckham-esque slide into terrible-ness, but it's also far from certain that he keeps up his current pace. Even beyond that, I'm not sure if he's going to continue to show some pop, draw walks, or strike out so much.

On defense, he's made a few very high-difficulty plays, but especially here in Baltimore a few boners. It could be the bias of the recent gaffes, but to me he doesn't look very natural receiving the ball. Maybe it's that he looks like a 3B playing 2B, I'm not sure.

And I haven't even decided what I think about his attitude. I was never a huge fan of him as a non-Sox, but he does seem to bring some nice balance to the mix of personalities. With that said, I'm not sure if any of us would be surprised if we heard that he was really irritating people or started playing poorly because he lost his cool.

What are other folks thinking about Lawrie? Was this a steal? Will he be a fixture going forward?

I agree.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 1, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
I love Lawrie's attitude, enthusiasm and energy. Much better than the lifeless dead clubhouse last year. I was a big fan of acquiring Lawrie when the idea was just a rumor and like the trade even more now.

This pretty much sums it up for me. His attitude is huge for me. It seems like the guy is always celebrating or reacting to every single play. Maybe I'll get sick of it after a while, but it's so nice to see a player who looks like they legitimately care. I don't see how anyone can really be upset with how he's produced either - extremely solid so far, especially hitting out of the 6th spot.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ May 1, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
This pretty much sums it up for me. His attitude is huge for me. It seems like the guy is always celebrating or reacting to every single play. Maybe I'll get sick of it after a while, but it's so nice to see a player who looks like they legitimately care. I don't see how anyone can really be upset with how he's produced either - extremely solid so far, especially hitting out of the 6th spot.

:cheers

He's warmed up, that's for sure. I think the last three days has been a bit of insight into his un-tapped power potential some of us speculated he had. He can certainly turn on a high FB and launch it out of the park real quick. Dude has some serious bat speed.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ May 1, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)
I love Lawrie's attitude, enthusiasm and energy. Much better than the lifeless dead clubhouse last year. I was a big fan of acquiring Lawrie when the idea was just a rumor and like the trade even more now.

It didn't take long to notice that. They've improved in almost every position this year. If they become mediocre at least it won't be below mediocre like last year. If there is chemistry in baseball the difference so far is the chemistry of a few season's past is broken up.

hes the exact player you love to play with and hate to play against. He and Frazier are like yin and tang, white and black. Two polar opposites that complement each other perfectly. He's turned into my favorite player, yes because he's been very good, but also because his personality resonates with me

Here's an idea: if Garcia fails, you put Sanchez at 2B most days and Lawrie DHs and spells Todd at 3B...

Not saying I'd do it unless it's Garcia (and hell, Sands for that matter) completely fall on there face but it is an option.

Best thing about Lawrie is that he has solid contact skills and some pop for a guy that can play a passable 2B. He has solid range but his hands are rocks and arm seems a bit wild as well but it is strong. All in all he's ok at 2B but Sanchez there is potentially elite. Speaking of which, Sanchez did a good job at SS today. Maybe he can be a utility IF.

Sox basically got a 2 WAR player IMO for nothing, it was a good move.

He's been a hot prospect for a while but he's only 26 so he can totally still have that breakout season.

As far as his personality goes, it reminds me of AJ. it's awesome now when things are going great, but I can see it getting as annoying during a down season. We can worry about it then

He has certainly been a wonderful addition to the White Sox. I can't understand why Oakland traded him to the White Sox. It doesn't appear as if the White Sox gave up alot to acquire him.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 1, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)
His defense was GG caliber until this soggy series in Baltimore... cool the jets on Sanchez.

Last year at 2B it was very good by eye test and advanced metrics. I just watched the 9th for the 1st time and yea he struggled at SS. That's to be expected but he's hit in the minors and over his last 300 or so MLB PA he's not awful. Not good, but passable given his glove.